Rust advice

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
I hate rust with the deepest passion. My friend just picked up a supra with some history in new jersey and everywhere I look behind a panel I find a bit of rust, luckily nothing structural though.

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
Any rust damage can be fixed, it's more a question of is it worth the cost, which can be time as well as cash. Pop-riveting a piece of sheet metal over the rust hole isn't what I mean when I say fix, either.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
^^^^
Right, I tell people that all the time. You have to remove all the rust to stop it from growing.

cerealkilla;1571524 said:
you want it to be rusted out in more than just that spot?

I wasn't stabbing holes in the floor, I was just seeing if I could find any more weak spots ya know.

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
If I were the one repairing the rust, I'd cut out the rusted section and weld in a new section. Depending on whether or not a factory panel was available, I might have to fabricate a patch panel, using the same gauge metal and fitting it carefully for minimal gaps. My next steps would be to weld it in, clean the metal thoroughly, spray both sides with an epoxy primer, and then color coat. That's the simplified version, of course, and there are some weld nuts that would need to be added for the bracket, but that would be the basic plan. As a side note, automotive steel is a high-strength steel, so (with no insult intended) Home Depot sheet metal is not the best choice.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
Ya I know, a good friend of mine works at DSM Metal Fabricating. I still don't know if I'm going to keep the car??