Rust advice

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
I have an 87 with basically no rust. The other day I had the rear end up for the first time in a while and noticed this....

p1571071_1.jpg

p1571071_2.jpg

p1571071_3.jpg

So my question is how much work is going to be involved in repairing this??

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
hvyman;1571116 said:
Might want to take a much closer look. Looks like the whole rear end has rust.

I live in Maine, every car up here older then five years has rust!! I had the rear suspension and axles out last summer and it looked fine. I had the interior out last year as well and there wasn't any rust coming through. The pinch rails don't even have rust and aren't bent! Its just that dam spot :icon_mad:

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The only thing to do would be to sandblast it with a coarse media and go from there. From the looks of it you might need to find a new shell unless you're really handy with metalwork.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
HHmm, I know this guy who's great at body work. he restores old cars. I think I'm going to have him look at it and then I'll go from there. Thanks for the input

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
daledoe;1571130 said:
I live in Maine, every car up here older then five years has rust!! I had the rear suspension and axles out last summer and it looked fine. I had the interior out last year as well and there wasn't any rust coming through. The pinch rails don't even have rust and aren't bent! Its just that dam spot :icon_mad:

i would have to disagree i live about 10 mins from Maine and i bought my supra in Maine without a spot of rust on it.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
I bet you don't drive your car in the winter or if you do you wash the salt off it. I've had two supras, My old roommate has two, and my other friend has one. Out of the 5 supras one is in perfect shape!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As I said I wouldn't spend a cent on that it's beyond saving in any economical way.....

Give it 6 months and it's just going to breakout somewhere else and with added power it's just going to be a deathtrap... :nono:

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
Poodles;1571260 said:
shells are getting rare...
Ya The last 4 supras I looked at up here were in real bad shape!! I need to get one from a more sunny state with no snow and salt.

IJ.;1571386 said:
Give it 6 months and it's just going to breakout somewhere else

I can't find any? I went over the whole under side of the car last night with a screw driver trying to find more weak spots by pocking at it. It sucks that its only rusted out in that spot

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
daledoe;1571402 said:
I can't find any? I went over the whole under side of the car last night with a screw driver trying to find more weak spots by pocking at it. It sucks that its only rusted out in that spot

you want it to be rusted out in more than just that spot?

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
whats why you spray rubber undercoating, i live in MA and i know how bad it gets, but even still, my car is not that bad in rust, i just have bubbling, which its been taking care of. but every car i see, has rust. nissans are the worst