RIP 308 mk3's.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
Wow, just wow. Pointless. There are some rare and nice cars on there... The obvious Supras, but also the Subaru Legacy AWD Turbos, those are rare too. Why would you want to get rid of cars like that??

LilRedSupra

Soupy
May 8, 2006
Louisville, Ky
I just hope there are some faithful MK3 owners out there that won't just give up on them. I really hate seeing this happen but I'm pretty damn sure there is a way around this shit. ;) I would never consider trading in my gem for a piece of shit ECONO BOX MICRO MACHINE. The funny thing is that when these new cars take a crap working on them will be a PITA and I hope it costs the consumer out the ass to fix the damn thing.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
That officially sucks, but don't forget. Some stealerships were offering the gov't incentive on ANY vehicle, WORKING OR NOT. If you have a Sube' that has a hydrolocked or otherwise blown engine and can tow the $%^&in' thing to the stealership, they'd give you money for that too. Not all vehicles had to be running to make it, and with Supra's pechant for BHGs, it's highly likely people went with that route instead of fixing 'em up and keeping them. Some steal-techs I know said that they were even accepting front- or rear-end damaged vehicles that were too costly to repair but not yet totalled by the insurance co. People have these problems and don't want to deal with them, so they used the gov't incentive to ditch their woes.

Figure about 50% or so of the vehicles ran less than a few miles before crapping out, and figure 50% of THAT number was probably fixable within a reasonable cost to the owner. Now the discard numbers start to make more sense.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
Well my MK3 supra just got more rare! :naughty:

But eh, if I was working at a dealership... why would it matter if the car ran? It's going to be crushed anyway.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
This is only going to make the economy worse........

"Hey, I don't have any money. But I'm going to get myself in more debt than I already have."

It may make the economy better for some people, but it will hurt more people in the long run.

If you have been thinking about the repo business, this is the time. In a couple of years, when the already-broke people lose their jobs, shit will hit the fan my friends. repo men will BANK.

I can't believe how stupid people can be...........

Last edited:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
That MKIV was in CT, was traded into a Jaguar dealership in Bristol. Was a CLEAN silver 97 turbo targa 6 speed, bone stock and low miles.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
crimson88;1417293 said:
and i cant see the list on this computer at school, but is there seriously a buick GNX on there?

Nope no GNX's or GN's on the list that I can see. But I do see some 18, 1987 regal's so if they did go I would guess it would be in that listing.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
upgradedsupra;1417421 said:
It did say GNX (super rare) in there, too bad someone couldn't offer to pay more so we could keep some of those beauties. :(

Duane

Yep Opps my fault it was listed under ASC.

ASC Incorporated
UNLISTED

GNX

And it looks to be true according to gnxregistry.com
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gnx-fortunate-547/298225-gnx-destroyed-under-clunkers-program.html

Im reading it now

EDIT: Im thinking there are typos, reading
jalopnik

From jalopnik:

NOTE: We find it hard to believe that many vehicles in the list below were actually destroyed through the Cash for Clunkers program, and while they may be officially on the list, their inclusion is more likely explained by an error in the submission process, typos or dealerships that managed to game the system.

&

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/24/shed-a-tear-for-clunkers-that-deserved-better/

Last edited:

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'm thinking a lot of these were cars that were more valuable than $3500 - $4500 so the dealership claimed to be C4C'ing them for a sale, then turned around and sold them for more money than they would have gotten from the gov't.

It's the individuals fault for not selling their car private party instead. Also, I'm willing to bet that 97 Supra was really a typo and was an 87 instead. Then again, maybe it was totally ragged and ready for the junkyard anyways?

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
ForcedTorque;1416195 said:
1 particular year Ford Explorer 4WD lost a handful less than 6,000.

sparkplug619;1416211 said:
lol that seems the most believable on thin whole entire list

Hell yeah. I was C4C my explorer but I didnt have it for a year before the program expired.

customsleepers

Dec 14, 2008
pa
kabanimk3supra;1417132 said:
This is only going to make the economy worse........

"Hey, I don't have any money. But I'm going to get myself in more debt than I already have."

It may make the economy better for some people, but it will hurt more people in the long run.

If you have been thinking about the repo business, this is the time. In a couple of years, when the already-broke people lose their jobs, shit will hit the fan my friends. repo men will BANK.

I can't believe how stupid people can be...........

i agree 100%. i thought this idea was stupid. and as for the mkiii i would imagine few of them were real rust buckets up here in the northern states.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Search for a 1987 Maserati. The car was mint. And I mean showroo
stuff. The only issue. Electrical issues. Guy was selling it for $4k. No one bit. So traded it in at the $4500 Cash 4 clunkers program. DONE!

Sad really.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Supra-Man18;1419592 said:
That list is ridiculous.. People must have more sense than that....

Do you really think that?

Consider how dumb the average guy is, then realize 1/2 the people out there are dumber than him...

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Supracentral;1419685 said:
Do you really think that?

Consider how dumb the average guy is, then realize 1/2 the people out there are dumber than him...

Sadly there is alot behind that statement... :/ Its Just a damn shame :nono: