Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
supra_man87;1089868 said:
from what i hear it really isn;t. its just that instead of shifting away from you like you would on a lhd, you are bringing it closer to you. i heard you get faster shits maybe?????

Yes, you DO get faster shits. When you're an "experienced gay," it just comes out easier :biglaugh:

I kid I kid. Apparently someone adapted a digi-dash to LHD, so that excuse is out the window; besides, its FAR easier to convert a digi-dash to LHD than the whole car around it, so theres no excuse.

As was mentioned, drive a RHD car first. Even IJ hates the idea, and I'm pretty sure his Australian awesome A chassis IS RHD.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
lol rhd conversion. the sheer stupidity of undertaking this project is stunning.

Sorry I had to say this..
I have a RHD aristo.. it's NO diff to me then LHD now, been driving it for 1.5 years... But it's auto so.. no gear shifts.. I did drive a manual RHD car in UK, shifting was a little awkward but nohting you can't learn.

I would never convert any car form LHD ot RHD or RHD to LHD... jsut a waste of time and energy

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
Well, I appreciate all the responses. While I don't care what a few of you think, as far as being a ricer or any of that crap... I think it would be a fun task and I would definitely turn a lot of heads, especially when rolling through the base gate.

What I might do though, is look for a cheap MK3... less than $1,000 and do the conversion on that. that way i can get my 2jz running right while i'm swapping the RHD in... when it's all done I can swap over my 2jz and have a totally badass car.

As soon as I get back home I will drive up to where he lives and take a look at everything and make a list of what he has. he bought a front clip, so that's where he got all this from, i'm sure i can get the firewall too. I have a welder and a person that knows how to weld.. so I think i'll be alright.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
dude, stop. Why do u want perfectly normal RHD car to be converted to LHD? Just buy a LHD car then if u want such madness. If traffic in US would be for RHD, then it's OK, but why would anyone would like to reinvent a bike?
Please, think about it again, and dont ruin a normal car

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I usually applaud those who are willing to think out of the box when modifying their A70 Supra, but this idea is just plain dumb. You want to go through thousands of dollars worth of work, hundreds of man hours (if you do it properly) and the general ball ache of having a steering wheel on the ‘wrong’ side to impress, let’s be honest here, idiots. Anyone that is going to be that caught up on which side the steering wheel is must be one of those ‘JDM Tyte’ idiots.

When I see a Left hand drive car here, I go ‘Oh, that a foreign car’, and that’s it. I don’t come close to pissing myself in fits of excitement, and nor is anyone else with a fully functioning brain.

The cons HEAVILY out weight the pros (if there are even any).

It's a stupid idea.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'd much rather put that money into engine work, but that's just me. Driving on the wrong side of the car doesn't seem like something I'd pay money to do intentionally.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
crazysupra2JZ;1089388 said:
Has anybody ever done or seen an MK3 undergo a RHD conversion?

A guy is offering his complete setup for a set of wheels. The dash, steering rack, steering column... pretty much everything. I guess a couple things are not included, but not very important.

Would I be way in over my head with this, or would it be possible.. just time consuming. I have all the big expensive parts, the steering components and the dash pieces. There might be little things to buy still.

But as far as moving over the brake booster, the pedals and the clutch master cylinder. Things like that and the A/C. I wonder if I could move over the seat too, so i still get the electronic seat. I guess i would have to get a JDM throttle cable too for my 2JZ.

I'm really thinking about doing this, i need some input.

thanks
niel

hey he asked for what has to be done to do a rhd swap. not for everyones input on if he should do it or not. so if he wants to do it, let him do it. i'm sure all of us have done something to one of our cars that seem stupid to another. so if he has the money, the man power, and the patience to do it, let him do it.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
obviously, the easiest way to do a RHD swap would be to get yourself a RHD firewall and swap it in. Modify the dash support bar, pick up a JDM heater/AC assy and you should be golden. Wiring will be a bit of a bitch though.

I'm still tossing around the idea of picking up a 2.5TTR and doing a LHD conversion. I've basically got everything I need, and once the body work is done, things should be pretty simple. I suppose I should finish my current car first...

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
crazysupra2JZ;1089891 said:
Well, I appreciate all the responses. While I don't care what a few of you think, as far as being a ricer or any of that crap... I think it would be a fun task and I would definitely turn a lot of heads, especially when rolling through the base gate.

As a fairly well educated person in the MkIII field, I'd say its definitely a "ricer" thing for you to do. If I saw a RHD Supra, I'd go "thats a shame." If I heard that it was converted, I'd say "thats stupid as fuck. Only people that would appeal to is ricers."

If you want to do something just to be different, there are plenty of other things you can do. Although I applaud originality in many cases, this is something that has been done quite often now on 240s, Civics, and other ricer crowd cars.

You could put a big gay wing on the car, you could paint it something that isnt common--bright pink, ricer neon green..hell you could swap in a 1HD-FT diesel. Any of these ideas would be easier, safer and more practical than swapping to wrong hand drive.

Besides, when you get that attention, you'll realize it has become unwanted attention, just to post here "I wish I hadnt done that"

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IJ.;1089411 said:
Why on earth would you even consider doing this?

and too add

everyone is looking at the easy stuff (ie body, steering etc).

Has anyone actually tried to decipher the MAIN electrical harness? All I will say is good luck if you don't have the MAIN harness from a OEM RHD supra.

It will niether be easy, cake or anything. And I am talking from experience!

Whatever you have thought was the toughest job on the supra.

X100 and you get the idea of the rats nest that is the OEM Main electrical harness.

The electrical is not for anyone that is not in the least bit electrically inclinded. Even if you are, be prepared for some major major planning and headaches.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The Electronics and looms are mirror imaged in a RHD car so be ready to swap the ENTIRE harness and ALL electronics from the RHD donor car.

As Figgie says this alone would stop a RHD conversion in it's tracks if you wanted to do the job properly.

You'd be far better off buying a full RHD car and tagging a LHD one as at least that way everything will work.

As I said earlier I just don't get this idea, you do conversions on cars that aren't available in your side drive or are so rare you can't buy one NOT on something like a Mk3.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
I don't understand everyone saying that driving a RHD car in a LHD place is so dangerous. I've driven my RHD JZA70 daily since January 07 and not once have I almost gotten in an accident and as long as you aren't driving like a complete dipshit and trying to pass people all the time its 100% fine. I say that if you have the resources and the time to do the job then by all means do it! Look at hommer, he's taken so much shit from people for what they believe are bad ideas for a supra and he keeps on re-inventing the wheel on crazy shit to do to his car. Don't let people on the forum make you decide not to do this!

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
JustinGotA1j;1090389 said:
I don't understand everyone saying that driving a RHD car in a LHD place is so dangerous. I've driven my RHD JZA70 daily since January 07 and not once have I almost gotten in an accident and as long as you aren't driving like a complete dipshit and trying to pass people all the time its 100% fine.

The first thing that comes to my mind is making a left turn through a busy intersection with a row of SUVs and pick ups in the oncoming left turn lane. if you are fairly cautious in your drivng and take every move a defensively as possible then you could pull it off. However, that also puts you in the minority of the motoring public.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Kckazdude;1090430 said:
The first thing that comes to my mind is making a left turn through a busy intersection with a row of SUVs and pick ups in the oncoming left turn lane. if you are fairly cautious in your drivng and take every move a defensively as possible then you could pull it off. However, that also puts you in the minority of the motoring public.

Yeah I had that problem when I drove it. I just sat there in the intersection and waited til the light turned... Just like I would have in a LHD, 'cuz we both know you still can't see around those tanks 99% of the time no matter where your wheel is at. I wouldn't do it (I'd get a TTR instead) but I'm all for you doing it if you can do it safely and nicely, ESPECIALLY if it was a heavily kitted car with some rare JDM parts under the hood.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
yea i dont see the danger factor, i see how safe turns could become more dangerous in a rhd car, just like some dangerous turns in a lhd car could be safer in a rhd car.

Status
Not open for further replies.