RHD conversion???

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
supra_man87;1090032 said:
hey he asked for what has to be done to do a rhd swap. not for everyones input on if he should do it or not. so if he wants to do it, let him do it.

I can appreciate where your coming from, but here's the thing...

When you post-up your ridiculous idea (my opinion) on a public forum, you're going to get opinions on the worthyness of said idea. This is a bad idea for all the reasons everyone who posted on this thread mentioned, and a lot more that weren't covered.

As far as "letting him do it", I think you'd agree that in the final analysis he can do whatever he wants, no matter how foolhardy.

I'm not crapping on the originator of this thread, I just think it's not going to be as cool as he imagines it will be, and this modification has all the characteristics of a project that will never be finished, and will most likely end up in the crusher.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Forgot to mention that a front clip won't give everything that is needed.

Seats, window switches, mirrors, center console, e-brake, ect ect ect...

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
yes, he is the one to make decisions not us, but why in the hell should this conversion be done if its possible to import RHD shell and drop everything into it?

I dont know the laws in US, but I think after conversion RHD car wont be street legal (as in the rest of the world).

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
ViR2;1090845 said:
I dont know the laws in US, but I think after conversion RHD car wont be street legal (as in the rest of the world).

The first part of your sentence is the most important. I just saw an R32 a couple weekends ago that was licensed and passed the safety inspection here in North Carolina.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ViR2;1090845 said:
yes, he is the one to make decisions not us, but why in the hell should this conversion be done if its possible to import RHD shell and drop everything into it?

In the US

Right Hand drive cars are fine as long as they pass DOT safety standards and emissions standards. The Postal services uses right hand drive cars to deliver mail.

If the op want to do a conversion by all means!

I for one would be curious as hell how they overcame the electrical harness or if they rewired the entire thing ;)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Nocheez;1090876 said:
The first part of your sentence is the most important. I just saw an R32 a couple weekends ago that was licensed and passed the safety inspection here in North Carolina.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, Importing a RHD car and getting it through customs and switching over the identity of a US – Spec car would probably be cheaper, easier and less of a ball ache than converting a LHD car, Hell, he will more than likely need a complete RHD donor car to do the swap correctly anyway.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
DonS1mpson;1090935 said:
Let’s be honest with ourselves, Importing a RHD car and getting it through customs and switching over the identity of a US – Spec car would probably be cheaper, easier and less of a ball ache than converting a LHD car, Hell, he will more than likely need a complete RHD donor car to do the swap correctly anyway.

correct

there are a total of 4 harness.

1 ECU harness

3 x electrical main harness + all relay blocks etc.

The front electrical harness should be part of a front clip.
The front in-cabin one might get butchered or not. Toss a coin.
The In-cabin REAR WILL get slaughtered in a front clip.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
If you want a RHD car, then purchase something like a Skyline. Spending the time and money to convert a LHD to a RHD just for shits and giggles, has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've seen in a while.

That said, if you plan on forging ahead as planned; here's some things I found that may be of interest. There's a Fiero forum I used to frequent, and we have a few members on there that live in RHD countries; and they had to convert their Fiero's to RHD to drive them in that country. (A completely legit reason to convert a car from LHD to RHD, as GM never made a RHD Fiero; so the new owners need to convert the car themselves).

To make passing safer, one of our members in Spain installed a camera in the upper left corner of the windshield.

Also, a member in Australia imported a Fiero, and outlines the process he had to go through to convert his car to RHD. Now once again, GM never made a RHD Fiero, so he couldn't switch firewalls and stuff like we can; so he has to use a chain drive, and other custom things. However, that should still give you a pretty good idea of the work you have ahead of you.

Myself, I'd rather spend the money making the car faster/better and get people's attention that way, rather then spend the money it takes to "sit on the wrong side of the car". But hey, that's just my
p1090965_1.gif

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
It'd be cool, no doubt... but there's two fundamental safety issues:

Left turns at intersections in traffic are real fun [read: a bitch] in RHD cars in a LHD country. If seeing around dude in his lifted F350 in the opposite left turn lane was hard in a LHD, it's even worse in a RHD.

Passing on a two lane road isn't so hot either. I've been told it's best to ride the shoulder to look "around" the other side of the car ahead of you... it would not so easy when it's a semi, now would it?

If you don't mind suffering those few frustrations, by all means, go ahead.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
well, i decided to cann the job. i don't want to ruin my car and be left with nothing, a 2jz swap is more than enough right now.

i made this thread to ask anybody out there that's done this or knows of a guy that has done it. i wasn't trying to make a thread asking should i or shouldn't i. i was going to do it reguardless, i just wanted some help doing it. like a parts list, any other thing besides a shell i would need, that kinda stuff.

but again, thanks for all the input... another time, another place.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Lulz at this thread and all the hating. This is exactly why I didn't start a thread asking what I needed. I knew this would happen. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. :icon_roll

All you need is the complete front clip. The electrical harnesses DO NOT need to be made longer, shorter, or whatever was mentioned. You flip the dash and door harnesses and that works. A memeber named bo3232000 did this swap. He said the only harness that needs to be lengthened is the harness near the headlights and fusebox. I'm not sure why it needs to as I haven't put the motor in yet to figure out what he was talking about but there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

It's too late anyway because the members here have swayed you from doing so. So I might as well jump on the bandwagon with another reason not to do the RHD swap. The 2J motor with stock twins won't fit a RHD car because the rear turbo hits the firewall. A little persuasion with a hammer is needed.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
dcrusupra;1091029 said:
Lulz at this thread and all the hating. This is exactly why I didn't start a thread asking what I needed. I knew this would happen. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. :icon_roll

All you need is the complete front clip. The electrical harnesses DO NOT need to be made longer, shorter, or whatever was mentioned. You flip the dash and door harnesses and that works. A memeber named bo3232000 did this swap. He said the only harness that needs to be lengthened is the harness near the headlights and fusebox. I'm not sure why it needs to as I haven't put the motor in yet to figure out what he was talking about but there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

It's too late anyway because the members here have swayed you from doing so. So I might as well jump on the bandwagon with another reason not to do the RHD swap. The 2J motor with stock twins won't fit a RHD car because the rear turbo hits the firewall. A little persuasion with a hammer is needed.

you are full of it and so is he.

Why you ask?

Because I have all three harness in my garage OUTSIDE of the supra (and since this thread insists, I WILL post pictures when I get home).

The reason you are full of "it".

1. Flipping the harness won't do shit unless you MOVE the relay boxes along with the electrical harness. They are not reversible.

2. Fliping the In-cabin front harness does not flip the main engine electrical harness, it's associated Power and ground circuits which are NOT switchable.

3. The In-cabin front electrical harness fits only ONE way to the engine bay Electrical harness AND the In-cabin rear electrical harness. All three have to be flipped, but then you need to

extend;

windshield wipers circuit
Windhield washer circuits
starter circuit
Cruise Control

move to left side;

Engine bay fuse block
headlight relay
Fuel Injector resistor pack

and the countless junction boxes and you MIGHT get a 1/3 of the way to to where you need to be.

So either put up or shut up.

and by put up, I mean a step by step on how to "flip" the harness as was mentioned. I will be keeping an eye out so get your facts straight as I have done more than enough electrical wiring on this car to spin this forums collective mind into a puddle of goo.

Last edited:

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
dcrusupra;1091029 said:

No, it's not hating, it's the truth. If someone is going to do something retarded, be thankful that you're in a community where people are going to pull you up on it. On some other forums people who have shit the bed with the thought of just how 'JDM Tyte' a RHD Supra would be and would have completely Disregarded how Dangerous, labor intensive and expensive such a project would be. It's just like asking about a Supra tattoo, or sticking your dick in a pencil sharpener, you might think it's the greatest idea in the world, but to a sane, and we're going to tell you that it's fucking dumb. We're not going to sugar coat, but similarly, we're not going to stop you from doing it either. If you want to ruin your body, dick or car thought not listening, then fine, just remember that we told you so.

The 2J motor with stock twins won't fit a RHD car because the rear turbo hits the firewall. A little persuasion with a hammer is needed.

99.9% sure that this is bull. I've always heard that it's left hand drive cars that have the problem with the twins.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
Nocheez;1090876 said:

Skylines are RHD from factory. So converting to RHD and a true RHD is different....

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
crazysupra2JZ;1091012 said:
well, i decided to cann the job. i don't want to ruin my car and be left with nothing, a 2jz swap is more than enough right now.

i made this thread to ask anybody out there that's done this or knows of a guy that has done it. i wasn't trying to make a thread asking should i or shouldn't i. i was going to do it reguardless, i just wanted some help doing it. like a parts list, any other thing besides a shell i would need, that kinda stuff.

but again, thanks for all the input... another time, another place.

Enough said.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.