Read every no start thread i can find and still cant figure out this car. HELP!!

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
I have an 87 7mgte man trans. It is bone stock exept for the fuel pump. I have a walbro 255 pump in it. A little back history, the car had sat for im guessing about 7 yrs before i found it. When i got it found out right away per tsrm the fuel pump was out. replaced the fuel pump, filter. After that it fired right up like a brand new car. I went to drive it found i had bent tie rods. Replaced those a week later then drove it to the corner and back 3 times. Seemed to run great, plenty of power. Parked it. Two days later i went to start it and move it into the new portable garage i bought to work on it under and it wouldnt start at all..... it cranks and chuggs like it wants to start, i even get some exhaust coming out of the tail pipe when i try. I have spark on all 6, i ohmed the coils and they are perfect. I put my ignighter and cps on my buddies 88 and his still fires right up. I checked my timing many times, even putting a stick down no.1 cylinder to be sure its at tdc when setting it, checked the cps was positioned correctly. The only thing i found bad so far was the efi fuse had been blown. Even after replacing that it wont start. Its like it lacks that little bit of power to start....im out of ideas and have read so many no start forums and been up and down the tsrm so many times i have it memorized. i have a video of it cranking on you tube. If i arch the b+ and fp you can hear the fuel running threw the rail rapidly. Checked all my fuses, i get 12.4v at the pump....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh and i did check compression and it was good. even pulled the ecu out and looked at it, nothing burnt no leaking caps looks brand new actually. Im lost...heres the link to the youtube vid. http://youtu.be/x0nLnNPsg9o

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
It's concerning that the efi fuse was blown.... Did you check engine codes? (t +e1 in diag box.) Looking at your video to me it screams timing. I know you said you checked timing, but what was your process? (cams are aligned with backplate, crank @ 0, and take the cps cover off to verify marks aligned, cam gears in middle peg). Do you know why the efi fuse blew?

.... and welcome to the forum!

EDIT: After reading your post again, I would also back probe the ecu connectors to get an idea what the ecu is seeing

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
The only cel i get is a 52. I made sure the crank was at 0* cams in the right position and cps is lined up right. Done the timing a few times with my buddy on his and it's always started right back up. Wouldnt know how to probe the ecu but willing to learn. I think the efi fuse blew because the way the fuel pump was wired it was a loose conection and may have grounded out. i recently soldered the connections and havent had the fuse blow again.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Code 52 is your knock sensor circuit.
Chances are the wiring went bad and needs to be redone. This is very common with these cars.

Also turning the CPS while starting the car won't do anything. Unless the CPS is a tooth off it will start anywhere in the adjustment range.

Sparky33

Sep 13, 2010
NJ
when you say you have checked timing, have you pulled the upper cover to make sure the lines are marks are still lined up? Or are you checking with a light?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Just watched the video and it deff sounds like timing.
Put the engine to TDC and take a pic of the CPS with the cover off.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
i pulled the cover off and checked it's good. i was doing the cps thing and noticed a puffing sound, i think i found it had to crawl on top of my engine while my buddy cranked it and listen closely. there is air and a really small amount of fuel escaping my 6th cyl injector....got the upper intake off and the rail unbolted but its pouring rain now so will have to wait to finish it up....i have extra injector o rings.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
Yep pulled the injector off the rail and the gromit where it goes into the head crumbled off.........ordered a whole set and am going to replace all of them in 2 days. Will post results.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
kotu100;1949533 said:
Also turning the CPS while starting the car won't do anything.

As a side note, yes it will. You will alter when injection and spark happen. And during cranking (250rpm) that timing has to be in the right place. That is why there is an STA signal. Or one of the reasons.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Car sat for 7 years? Your gas tank may need to be drained and lines checked for being obstructed. After 7 years the gas is probably shelac.
Just driving it around could have loosened up sludge in the tank by sloshing and fuel returning to the tank.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
This too, yes.
You drove it for a bit, sloshing the jelly and the rust in the tank around,
Then parked it. Crud settles back to the bottom of the tank(fuel strainer), and gets clogged up the next time you start it.
This is a conceivable scenario.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
The kits will come in tomorrow will update and let you guys know if it works. Thank you for your input though! If I hadent retarded the timing when messing with the cps I wouldnt have found the leak.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
I cleaned the tank out with rust remover when I was putting the new pump in. Inspected the lines and blew them out and out a new fuel filter on.

Vash

Sep 9, 2012
Tennessee
so it starts now but runs like absolute crap.....im going to post a video...checked the timing, redid the timing.....getting spark and fuel on all 6....i have no clue wtf..lol