Radiator nightmare....!!!!

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
Ok, first post here, Hoping not to get flamed on my first post...

I just bought this nonturbo supra mark III targa, i thought it would be a fun car to try and see if i like it. Soo far i love the targa top, and of course who doesnt love saying they own a supra? Well anyways i did basic things at first oil change, tires, registration, so on... So im driving around one day and my engine tempature starts shooting up. i pulled over and let it cool down. i started it up the next day to drive it around... it drove perfectly and didnt even think about overheating, next day i drove it again, same story, perfect drive with no overheating. Now that im confident enough in the car i drive down to my cousins house like 20 min away and we are driving all over for like another 30 min then i went back home no problem. I drive it for about 10 min go back home and start it up again to drive up the street and its overheating. i let it cool down drove it back home while it was still pretty hot cause i was just down the street and when i stopped there was fluid all over the driveway, i popped the hood and it looked like a small water balloon had exploded on the left side of my engine bay.

I went down to pepboys and they explained it might be a thermostat so i bought the thermostat, radiator flush and new coolant. Come home, put the car on jackstands and disconnected the radiator hose to the thermostat housing, it was disgusting as you can see by the pics. whoever had this car before me really screwed up. But wait!

p1284331_1.jpg

p1284331_2.jpg

p1284331_3.jpg

it gets worse, cleaned up best i could and replaced the thermostat, unclamped the bottom hose and a bunch of what seems to be rusty water comes out of the radiator, no metal frags thank god. so i ran about 2 galons of water down the radiator to try and get it to clear out the radiator. Then i added the radiator flush and filled the rest with water and closed up everything.

p1284331_4.jpg

p1284331_5.jpg

Went to start up the car with my buddy looking out for anything goin on under the hood and sure enough he spotted a leak and told me to shut the car off. I had found where all the water came from, it was a radiator hose that connects 2 metal pipes in the back of the engine bay wayyyy between the head and the firewall, the hose is only about 4-5 in long but the part behind the engine is almost impossible to remove. ive tried everyting its just theres no room to work. i pinch on the clamp with pliers but theres no room to wiggle or pull

p1284331_6.jpg

So if anybody has any idea how to do this please help!!!:1zhelp: ill have more pics of the clamps soon. Any other suggestions from the pics you can see feel free to suggest away. :)

New parts soo far on cooling system
1) Thermostat with gasket
2) Radiator cap
3) Radiator fluid
4) Radiator hose "Currently not installed"

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
IJ.;1284347 said:
It will tell you if you're throwing good money after bad ie: If the engine has a BHG before you drop another cent chasing the cooling system woes.

Still a noobie Define BHG:
Its one hose that needs to be Replaced and it will run fine.

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
IJ.;1284350 said:
Blown Head Gasket

There are 3 types of 7M

1) Has a BHG

2) Will have a BHG

3) Has been maintained meticulously

you can rule out #3 by your pics ;)

Soo.... It would need to be replaced thats all correct?

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
IJ.;1284373 said:
1 step at a time, find out of it's a problem then we'll deal with it ;)

So i need to remove that hose and replace it..... How do i go about that? its a really tight spot and its hard to get out. Do you know any special tricks that will make the hose come out easily? theres a clamp on the hose, its a pinch clamp so i have to hold the clamp in place with pliers to loosen it and pull the clamp out. but because of the limited room its much harder than it sounds.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Good idea to replace all the hoses if they're at all soft.

Some like you've found are a PITA, I use a flexiable driver for reinstallation it helps a bit.

If you can get the old clamps off you may need to slice the hose lengthwise then replace it and the clamps with new parts.

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
IJ.;1284395 said:
Good idea to replace all the hoses if they're at all soft.

Some like you've found are a PITA, I use a flexiable driver for reinstallation it helps a bit.

If you can get the old clamps off you may need to slice the hose lengthwise then replace it and the clamps with new parts.

Thats part of the problem. i cant move the clamps, the hose is soft and it seems like the hose just keeps it in place even if i pinch all the way : / its just soo hard to reach in there, its frustrating.

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
IJ.;1284400 said:
Welcome to owning a 7M Mk3 ;)

It's an exercise in frustration at times!

What sort of clamps are they?

Their what i call "Pinch clamps" The ones you pinch with pliers to loosen them up, and if you let go they tighten again.

SiLeNcE SuPrA

I keed I keed
Mar 4, 2008
IDK
You should see the inside where the thermostat is of my engine.... WAY worse then that..... WAY MORE...
Previous owner just :nono:

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
IJ.;1284406 said:
Bent long needle nose pliers get em?

knipex-160mm-bent-needle-nose-pliers.jpg

It gets them but the hard part is moving the hose or clamp at all. its soo impractical the way they set that part up. i was thinking maybe i can put a hole though the hose and put a string though it and just yank the hell out of it and maybe itll come off.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I think at this point it's a case of whatever works to get it off as if the hose is soft it's a failure waiting to happen.

Time for me to go out to the shed leter dude <good luck>

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
IJ.;1284417 said:
I think at this point it's a case of whatever works to get it off as if the hose is soft it's a failure waiting to happen.

Time for me to go out to the shed leter dude <good luck>

Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it.

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
SiLeNcE SuPrA;1284411 said:
You should see the inside where the thermostat is of my engine.... WAY worse then that..... WAY MORE...
Previous owner just :nono:

Was yours overheating? mine was getting stuck every week or so and thats when it would overheat. I could only immagine yours must have overheated all the time.