R154's DO SUCK!!

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
figgie;1151026 said:
Jerico or Gforce.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....A full setup with custom clutch/flywheel i would expect to be over 10-11k. I would have gone this route for sure if i could afford it....

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
Until the trans is torn down we don't know what broke so those of you blaming the rebuild really are making a big assumption there. There is no way Marlin is replacing the gears in the trans for the price they rebuild them for. Go price out new gears for an R154 and you will see what I mean. They probably replace them as needed and add that to the cost of the rebuild. The snap rings are relatively cheap(there are only 5 areas where thickness needs to be determined) and you can figure what size you need roughly using the old snap ring and a feeler set, so instead of buying a whole set, you can just buy 3 or 4 for that particular spot.

Don't go with a glide in your car unless it's under or around 3k lbs especially with a big turbo. The large spread between gears will make the car feel dead at the bottom of high. I personally like the TH350. When built right they are extremely strong, smaller and easier to turn. The one in my truck and supra will hold well over the kind of HP you are making. You will pay more for a TH350 that will hold this kind of power vs a TH400 that can hold the same power, but I feel it is worth it.

Edit: Just for reference my car trapped 126 with the R154. When I put the TH350 with no other changes, it trapped 126.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Slow66;1151413 said:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....A full setup with custom clutch/flywheel i would expect to be over 10-11k. I would have gone this route for sure if i could afford it....

well of course!

weighs 80lbs, takes 1200hp and is fully config, quick as an auto but efficent as a manual. sounds like a win win to me ;)

come on, some engines here cost as much if not more!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IJ: yeah, overdrive isn't easy on the trans, I know a couple f-body guys that will never put their car in 6th under full power because of this...