R154 swap

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Supralover87;1502641 said:
I am happy to say this works beautifully :)

it runs it drives... but now:

Reverse lights = none did every red and yellow wire and that cannot be it lol

O/D off light any idea on how to stop the blinking?

If you havent messed with the O/D dash light problem, try unplugging the Transmission Computer (ECT) by the ecu at the right kick panel. This will correct your problem. ECT isnt needed without the auto.

Rich

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
whitemike;1513338 said:
I've yet to situate the reverse light issue. Wouldn't be so bad but the plug is way the fuck up by the intake manifold, and my manifold is too big to reach underneath. ugh.

Having said that, any insight on what wires yet?

The trick is that the automatic trans has backup light wires on two different harnesses, both largish and round. one red with black stripe, the other yellow. There are other wires with the same or similar colors in the engine harness, so with the auto trans out, you have to identify the connectors using the TEWD.

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
nick88;1507129 said:
Check for boost/vac leaks, are you getting a check engine light?

No leaks and no check engine light

dragracer;1507149 said:
If you havent messed with the O/D dash light problem, try unplugging the Transmission Computer (ECT) by the ecu at the right kick panel. This will correct your problem. ECT isnt needed without the auto.

Rich

I'm gonna have to try this.... lol sounds easier than removing the bulb... electrical tape is solving my problem right now haha hillbilly? i know :)

Having said that, any insight on what wires yet?[/QUOTE]

No i haven't had time to mess with that.... the answer below seems completely viable knowing the wiring... gonna try it next time it's on the lift

Victor Charlie;1514618 said:
The trick is that the automatic trans has backup light wires on two different harnesses, both largish and round. one red with black stripe, the other yellow. There are other wires with the same or similar colors in the engine harness, so with the auto trans out, you have to identify the connectors using the TEWD.

my new problem is hearing a bearing whine when the clutch is out... it's not TOB i checked !! lol thinking we fubared the pilot bearing trying to clear the tunnel :(

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
no i'm saying try the red and black wire on the harness side and the yellows on the opposite plug (harness side)... knowing they are in opposite connectors greatly narrows the options

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
yea ok lol mine is still stock and on the lift was a breeze to wire... so if ya give me a little bit i'll be doing it for sure and i'll let you know cause we just wired them all with plugs so we could check all the options legitly :) so all it'll take is ten minutes of plugging and yelling yay or nay lol

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
Supralover87;1517666 said:
my new problem is hearing a bearing whine when the clutch is out... it's not TOB i checked !! lol thinking we fubared the pilot bearing trying to clear the tunnel :(

I had the bearing whine also when I did my swap and a new clutch. it did it the first time I started it, and again a few times sporadically, now it seems to work fine. Not sure what was up with that. It went away so fast I didn't look into it.

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
Still no backup lights? That stinks. It should be simple, which is always a bad way to start a sentence... I may have misled you with my previous post, so I'll try again. Hopefully I won't make it worse.

First you need a yellow wire from the fuse box with power. If not it's a bad fuse or body wiring. That should connect to the small oval two wire connector from the trans. I believe it is white. It does not have to have matching color wires between the connector and the trans. I can't recall, but they may be the same generic color, like white. The connector to trans wires are considered part of the backup light switch assembly and would not be on the TEWD.

Then you need a red wire with black stripe that is in continuity (series) with the backup light bulbs. That should be easy to identify by energizing the wire anywhere in the pathway with body-grounded 12v battery to light the backup lights. Then just look for the red/black wire (near the front of the trans on the driver's side, near the starter) that goes to 12v when you do that. BOTH THE YELLOW AND THE RED/BLACK WIRE SHOULD BE ON THE SAME OVAL CONNECTOR, which should mate with the connector coming from the trans.

If you have a body with an automatic trans, then the yellow wire is the middle lower pin (pin 5) from a big 6-pin plastic harness, mine was grey. The red/black wire is pin 1 from a smaller three wire harness. These wires have to be spliced to the backup switch small oval two-pin connector mentioned above. It is a common connector, also used for other circuits, so I was able to salvage the complimentary connector from a discarded engine harness, and solder it to the yellow and red/black wires for a perfect match to the backup light connector.

I hope this works for you.

Vic

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Supralover87;1530129 said:
well damn :(

It's Simple. ;)

5A and 1B graphed onto C1 and C2.

Main_078.gif

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
That's what I thought, it should be simple, but then I remember getting confused about the color of wires coming off of the trans. versus those yellow and red/black wires coming from body wiring. You have to identify the backup light wires coming from the trans by the connector, not the color. people want to wire yellow to yellow or red/black to red/black, or cross wire, and none of it works that way.