R154 swap

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
I am in the last stages of my r154 swap from auto(88t to 89t)... here's my questions that remain unanswered:

1. I switched to a manual turbo ecu, so do I need to bother with any of the wiring besides reverse lights? with the manual ecu I don't need to do the splicing to make it run, right?

2. which plugs do the wires come from that i attach my black and white reverse wires to? pictures? anything would be extremely helpful besides telling me it's red and yellow lol i got that far can't find anything else and i've been looking for a week.... there are two round plugs and one square six pin after i hooked up c.c. and they have no home

3. Is hooking the clutch safety switch to the white ignition wire the best way to do this or is there a better way?

4. does the manual ecu have anything to with cruise control? or should it just work as usual as it did before?

Last edited:

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
anyone? i'm stuck till i figure this out... there used to be writeup on this somewhere but i've had no luck finding it... if you have the link even that would be better than nothing

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
yea really haha i just keep getting told it's the black and white wires which tells me nothing lol ::hang::

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
that helps.... but that's the post that gave me the questions about using the manual ecu and the ignition switch...

Does the manual ecu need a clutch neutral safety switch to allow the car to start?

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
so that's all i need to do with the manual ecu?

in the other car there was a black box under the dash that i do not have??? thinking differences in years? never heard of anyone needing this lol

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
don't have one sorry... not my car and it's two hours away lol the car itself is a 89 n/a shell (manual)

mine is a 88 turbo (auto) and no box (so hopefully i don't need it lol)

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
Hey my friend!!! i have just completed the same swap as you but i just kept my auto ecu. the two round plugs and the square one are for the auto. One of the round plugs has only three wires running to it and the two larger of the wires are the neutral safety wires. What you can do is to wire the clutch switch into the neutral wires so the car will start when the clutch is pressed. and when you let off of the clutch the car ecu will think the car is in drive instead of neutral. As far as the reverse lights if you can take the pan off of the auto tranny and put the tranny in the reverse position,take a multimetter and start checking your wires for continuity. That is if you cannot find it online. which i cant either. CHEERS:icon_razz

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
ok thanks... thinking i might just put the auto one back in and say screw it lol and that may simplify my possible reverse light wires lol :x:

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
Supralover87;1499740 said:
ok thanks... thinking i might just put the auto one back in and say screw it lol and that may simplify my possible reverse light wires lol :x:

Your problem is you still have the auto trans harness. Most of the wires to the auto trans are not needed. you do need to loop the wires to the neutral start switch or the ECU will think it is in gear and won't start the engine. There are several good write ups.

devrainey

your a "*****"
Jan 13, 2010
George County Ms
I dont assume nothing of the sort. Its just a phrase i use everyday. Its not intended to point fingers or imply anything of a negative manner . lol i should have put a smiley to show. This is why i dislike texting and situations like this for it causes a misconception of a matter. so um... dont hate :icon_razz

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
devrainey;1499843 said:
I dont assume nothing of the sort. Its just a phrase i use everyday. Its not intended to point fingers or imply anything of a negative manner . lol i should have put a smiley to show. This is why i dislike texting and situations like this for it causes a misconception of a matter. so um... dont hate :icon_razz

I so hate you :p (not really)