Quick deck question.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
OK, I decided that I might as well buy some new speakers(at least the fronts.). The fronts are 4" right? What are the back? My car is an 87. What is the PITA factor for replacing the rears? Any particular OHM setting?(4,8 etc.)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
rears are definitely easier than fronts, and i believe the correct ohmage is 4.

if you're talking about the speakers at the corners of the hatch, then yes (not too hard). ive never had to worry about the ones under the rear seatbelts (next to the rear seats).

should be 4" all around, but it made a jump in 90, 91, or 92. someone know the exact year?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The rears are not 4", they're 4.5". 4" speakers will fit, IIRC. Or, if you're feeling industrious, some people have managed to shoe horn in 5.25" speakers.

The fronts are 4", unless you feel like making a couple mounts and dropping in 6.5"s. The front speakers are cake, I think more people actually have trouble with the rears.

Clip's right, the best impedance for you system is most likely 4Ω. Your headunit should be able to handle 2Ω as well, but 4Ω is more common... on occasion you'll find 8Ω speakers in an automotive system.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I just got back from Best Buy and the car audio guy looked the sizes up on the comp. They are 4" up front and 5.25" rear, he suggested 6x9. I just bought a harness (just in case I DO need it.) and new front speakers.

Edit: I think the speakers jumped in 91 for Toyotas higher end stero opition.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The 5.25 rears aren't for pre89. That much I'm positive about.

EDIT: Oh, and 89+ had an optional 6 speaker system (I believe that's the one that had 5.25" in spots next to the rear seats.), the 6.5" fronts came later.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
UPDATE: Installed the deck and speakers with no big problems. The only problem I did run into was the installer of the Alpine hacked the harness to pieces. Other than that it only took me a couple of hours with a few smoke/ cleaning breaks. I just want to thank all of you who posted in this thread for helping me and getting me the info I needed. I really apreciate it guys.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Excellent! Next time you'll get the job done in half the time. ;)

So, which model Kenwood did you install?

Oh, and did the 5.25" speakers fit in the rear?

Last edited:

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Please, PLEASE, for the love of God do us all a favor and don't put speaker boxes and 6x9's back there! Multiple reasons follow:
1.) They look tacky as fuck
2.) Oval speakers create more distortion
3.) They look tacky as fuck
4.) 6x9's make this fake bass sound *barf*
5.) Did I mention they look tacky as fuck?

:D

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Please, PLEASE, for the love of God do us all a favor and don't put speaker boxes and 6x9's back there! Multiple reasons follow:
1.) They look tacky as fuck
2.) Oval speakers create more distortion
3.) They look tacky as fuck
4.) 6x9's make this fake bass sound *barf*
5.) Did I mention they look tacky as fuck?

:D

Yeah, I don't like the idea of speakers in a box floating around in my car. I will stick with the 5.25 speakers.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
well, generally speaking, the speaker enclosures get screwed down somewhere, so they aren't just floating around; this doesn't change the fact that they look tacky though :D

In all honesty bro, take all the money you would've spent on the rear-4 speakers and put it all into a set of front speakers, preferably components :)

Explanation here, too lazy to type it all out:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33704

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I already bought decent front speakers. I don't need a killer loud and bumpin system. Mainly because I am not driving my Supra a ton. I just wanted an up grade over the old Alpine and old blown kicker speakers.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
UPDATE: My deck died today, playing a CD and the screen just said "Mecha error" so a new deck is in order. Less than a week in the Supra and it's gone. I think it was the crazy temps we were at last night(-20ish). Oh well, such is life I guess.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've gotta say that I love my Kenwood. I've owned a bunch of different brands of decks in my time and the Kenwood is one of the few that I wouldn't trade.... Most of the others were okay, and I'll NEVER buy another Sony deck.

Sorry to hear your deck died Sl1deways... I wouldn't be surprised at all if the temps here lately had something to do with it... or perhaps the wicked condensation I've been seeing. If it's a mechanical problem (such as the grease freezing and causing too much resistance for a servo to operate) you may be able to fix it. That is, if it's worth the trouble to you.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
At this point I think it will be better to buy a new Kenwood and just plug it in to the old Kenwoods plug. I think it is a servo or the infared eye that mabey froze?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
FYI, Kenwood changed their plug configuration a while ago and I think they may have done it again just recently... it's certainly worth a look though. The change I'm thinking of could just be for the Aux/extension port.