Quick deck question.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
Ok, when I bought my Supra it already had an Alpine CDM-7835 installed. I have a Kenwood KDC-X579 that I like much better. Can I just swap them or do I need a harnes or any adaptors? Thanks for the help.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
youll have to solder a new harness. easy stuff, wiring harnesses should be at walmart for like 10 bucks. if you were switching from alpine to alpine, then you might have a chance that the plugs would be the same (if they were around the same time period). since you're switching brands, i think you need to change harnesses too.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
yeah, fits toyota. as for extending wires, theres no need. your alpine should already have a soldered harness thatll go from deck to wires (alpine-specific plug) to the supra specific plugs. just unplug the alpine-supra harness and wire your kenwood harness to the new (walmart) supra plugs. with the length of wire, you won't need to extend anything.

have you wired one up before?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sl1dewaysSupra said:
Cool, I will check the Wal this weekend for the harness. Should I just look for one of those "fits Toyota" things?
The kenwood radio is going to have a bunch of loose wires hanging off the back. What you have to do is go grab a Toyota Wiring harness from somewhere, which has the Toyota connectors on one end to plug into your stock wiring harness, and has some loose wires on the other half which you wire into the loose wires on the back of your kenwood unit. The reason for this is so you don't have to hack up the stock wiring.

Your Alpine radio probably has a Toyota harness you can cut off, and re-attach to your kenwood unit.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
are you saying the kenwood is permanently attached to the wires? all receivers ive seen have separate plugs in the back of the receiver.

just take the plugs out, solder the wires (they're all color coded using the same basic scheme) and make sure to put some shrinktube over your connections before you solder (cut some shrinktube maybe 3/4s of an inch, slide over the wire and as far away from heat as possible)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It's not a bad job whether you're soldering it straight in or using an adapter. If you need any help let me know.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
annoyingrob said:
The kenwood radio is going to have a bunch of loose wires hanging off the back. What you have to do is go grab a Toyota Wiring harness from somewhere, which has the Toyota connectors on one end to plug into your stock wiring harness, and has some loose wires on the other half which you wire into the loose wires on the back of your kenwood unit. The reason for this is so you don't have to hack up the stock wiring.

Your Alpine radio probably has a Toyota harness you can cut off, and re-attach to your kenwood unit.

The Kenwood just has plugs in the back.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The Kenwood should have come with pigtails (plugs which slide into the sockets on the back). If you don't have them you'll need to order a pair.

The Alpine should be mounted using the Supra's stock brackets. Yes, you'll need them to mount the Kenwood.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The harness everyone's referring to is an adapter which has plugs that connect directly to the stock stereo's plugs... if the Alpine is connected with such a harness you can just reuse it, if not you're either going to be soldering/crimping the Kenwood harness to the bare wires where the stock plugs used to be or you'll need to replace the stock plug first.

EDIT: so, either way, you shouldn't need to buy anything.