Question about the moon landing.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I for one believe we landed on the moon so don't think this is a conspiracy theory. My question is: Can't we just look into a very nice telescope ( maybe not any ones you get at home ), and see our flag right on the moon where we left it? How come I never hear about this? We should go by old school rules and have the moon be our 51st state since we landed first ;). jk

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I always wondered about that too.

But you have to realize how massive the moon is. It's not like the moon is a quick mornings jog in diameter.

Grim's link explains it in full. It's just waaaaayy to far to see something that small.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
physics called and he told me to pass on a message.. its not possible to see the flag ! you would need a telescope the size of a mountain.

jk! :D

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Same problem, Jon. Biggest earthbound telescopes can't resolve anything less than ~27m in size on the moon, without taking into account the problems of staring through a blurry atmosphere.

Orbital telescopes face their own problems, of course, the largest of which is that the 'common guy on the street' can't point and shoot it, and they'll just claim anything that comes out of NASA is photoshopped. That and the fact that the focal length is designed for looking a shitload further away.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Reason you cna't see any of it is because it's not there and never was there to begin with. I believe in Conspiracy Theories because we all know you can't just give government.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
GrimJack;1368382 said:
Same problem, Jon. Biggest earthbound telescopes can't resolve anything less than ~27m in size on the moon, without taking into account the problems of staring through a blurry atmosphere.

Orbital telescopes face their own problems, of course, the largest of which is that the 'common guy on the street' can't point and shoot it, and they'll just claim anything that comes out of NASA is photoshopped. That and the fact that the focal length is designed for looking a shitload further away.

Interesting. Did not know this. Did Japan or another country not launch a satellite to orbit the moon?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
starscream5000;1368258 said:
What about one of our sattelites in orbit being positioned to view the mood though?

Neodeuccio;1368262 said:
You would probably have better luck with the Hubbell.

MDCmotorsports;1368353 said:
If not the flag, what about the bottom modules to the lander(s)? Why can't you view those?

isnms;1368377 said:
That's what I was thinking. With the new upgrades they did recently (and it was fascinating to watch) couldn't they get a shot of the lander now?

The moon is ~240,000 miles from Earth. The hubble telescope orbits at about 370 miles from the earth. So the hubble is about 239,600 miles from the moon. Not much closer at all. In fact, that's only 0.15% closer than a telescope on the surface of the earth.

I think people get the misconception that our satelites and the hubble telescope are waaaaaay out there in space when in reality, they're hugging the Earth's surface.

oldsking;1368391 said:
Reason you cna't see any of it is because it's not there and never was there to begin with. I believe in Conspiracy Theories because we all know you can't just give government.

There is currently an ongoing mission which will photograph the landing sites while it orbits the moon. This is the first camera sent to orbit the moon since the man set foot on the moon. Of course, it's main mission is not to disprove "theories", but rather to study the moons surface better than ever before.

Once that returns with multiple photos of the landing gear, I hope disbelievers will finally give it a rest...

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
I remember way back when G-Dub was president.They said they wanted to go to the moon again, but whatever happened with that? Somebody whispered in his ear and said that wasn't going to happen. To hell with photographs and mathematics. If you did it before,do it again.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
suprarx7nut;1368404 said:
The moon is ~240,000 miles from Earth. The hubble telescope orbits at about 370 miles from the earth. So the hubble is about 239,600 miles from the moon. Not much closer at all. In fact, that's only 0.15% closer than a telescope on the surface of the earth.

That's true, but while the hubbell is only a little closer, it was designed to see things much further away than pretty much everything on earth. I would think that would make a serious difference.

oldsking said:
Reason you cna't see any of it is because it's not there and never was there to begin with.

There's no evidence to support this. Sorry.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Flywest;1368429 said:
There you go, the lunar orbiter recently took pictures of the Apollo landing sites

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/apollosites.html

There ya go. I didn't see that they had already photographed it.

Conspiracy theories are now done. :)

369228main_ap14labeled_540.jpg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Everyone likes to point at the Hubble and complain that it should be able to do it. Keep in mind that Hubble's only real advantage is the lack of atmosphere... other than that, it's really not that large, certainly not as big as what is available on earth. Telescopes with 10m apertures are not uncommon anymore, and Hubble is 2.4m - that puts it about #50 on the list of optical telescopes by size.