Question about the moon landing.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Well fuck me that explains why none of the astronauts ever got sick it's SAFER outside the belt according to our resident genius on radiation... :nono:

Seriously I'm done on this it's not worth my time..

I remain unconvinced.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Better yet how about apolo 13....they circled the moon and back to earth...they were in space for a very long time...they went threw he'll and back and didn't suffer radiation effects....wait let me guess, that was fake too?!

I find it silly to use that belt as your excuse of not believing....I'd believe aliens over that belt!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1369029 said:
Well fuck me that explains why none of the astronauts ever got sick it's SAFER outside the belt according to our resident genius on radiation... :nono:

I remain unconvinced.

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

I just think you're being very silly about the whole idea! I'm no expert, infact I'd say I know as much about this as I know about quantum physics....but I do think it's more than safe to say that radiation belt doesn't play much a roll in this as nobody I've heard of has gotten horrible radiation effects from all the space travel that the world has done! I did google what you asked and from what I've read it is not a super dooper enviroment that is radiation free so if we can orbit earth and we can shoot around the moon (ap 13) then why the hell can't we land on the damn thing...radiation in my mind is not the excuse of the day.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Some people won't believe it until they themselves are setting foot on the surface.

Some people are still convinced Elvis is alive and jfk was shot by 2 or 3 gunmen. To each his own...

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Oh and the space shuttle was fake too.
The exploding Columbia? ALL done with smoke and mirrors,or probably swamp gas.
The X-15 project? Where man tickled the very edge of air and space? It was a cartoon by Warner Brothers.
It blows my mind how people with a hint of knowledge can be complete and utter idiots to facts presented to them.
"Well I don't believe that sawed off shot gun's gonna blow ma haid off until I try it"
Of course we didn't go to the moon(aka Luna) how the hell can you land a heavy space ship on cheese?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I don't remember anyone claiming all space travel is fake. Just the moon landings by humans in the 60's-70's. Childish acusations like that speek volumes.

People don't sit inside the reactor core for days at a time. If they did they would die very quickly. The sheilding is to protect workers from radiation. The actual power production from nuke reactors is actualy steam, how did you think they worked? Read If you don't think radiation will kill go get 20-30 x-rays in a row, oh thats right they won't let you, you would be radioactive and dead. And when you do get the single one they place a lead appron on any areas they wish to protect, like your reproductive organs. And that is a minimal dose of radiation!

Near orbit of the earth is protected, and the furthur you travel the less protection you receive. Low orbit satalites and space craft are well within that zone, and yet even at that distance a solar flare can destroy electronics. Without the magnetosphere the solar radiation would extinguish all life.

IJ.;1369020 said:
I don't know one way or the other but when I raise a valid question/concern I don't expect to cop the bullshit that Goon was spouting from his vast knowledge on the subject.

Inside the belt we live outside it without extensive shielding we're microwave dinners...

You can't walk to the KwikiMart without getting some sort of cancer yet NONE of the astronauts ever got sick..

Nope the tin can ship obviously saved them. And the planned trip to mars never happened and won't anytime soon due to..solar radiation.

IJ.;1369029 said:

I remain unconvinced.

Nor am I.

DooM-;1369032 said:
**sends IJ to the moon for convincing**

He won't enjoy that suntan.

Neodeuccio;1369106 said:
Wow, this thread really went downhill fast. I'm out.

When people start going to personal attacks or jump to conclusions and say you don't beleive xyz when its just about b its nothing to waste time on anymore.

Last edited:

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I'm looking around googling the van allen belt trying to find info on why radiation wasn't a problem and most of the information I'm finding points out that the astronauts were only exposed for 2 hours in the weaker points of the Van Allen Belt. I also read someone saying that Van Allen himself said it should not be a problem for astronauts in the right spots or small doses. ( trying to find a better source )

If you are still doubting this here is what wiki has to say ( also it seems our astronauts did suffer from minor radiation problems ) :
* The Moon is ten times higher than the Van Allen radiation belts. The spacecraft moved through the belts in just 30 minutes, and the astronauts were protected from the ionizing radiation by the aluminium hulls of the spacecraft. In addition, the orbital transfer trajectory from the Earth to the Moon through the belts was selected to minimize radiation exposure. Even Dr. James Van Allen, the discoverer of the Van Allen radiation belts, rebutted the claims that radiation levels were too dangerous for the Apollo missions. Plait cited an average dose of less than 1 rem, which is equivalent to the ambient radiation received by living at sea level for three years.[54], pp. 160–162 The spacecraft passed through the intense inner belt in a matter of minutes and the low-energy outer belt in about an hour and a half. The astronauts were mostly shielded from the radiation by the spacecraft. The total radiation received on the trip was about the same as allowed for workers in the nuclear energy field for a year.[63]

* The radiation is actually evidence that the astronauts went to the Moon. Irene Schneider reports that thirty-three of the thirty-six Apollo astronauts involved in the nine Apollo missions to leave Earth orbit have developed early stage cataracts that have been shown to be caused by radiation exposure to cosmic rays during their trip.[64] However, only twenty-four astronauts left earth orbit. At least thirty-nine former astronauts have developed cataracts. Thirty-six of those were involved in high-radiation missions such as the Apollo lunar missions.[65]

2. Film in the cameras would have been fogged by this radiation.

* The film was kept in metal containers that prevented radiation from fogging the film's emulsion.[54], pp. 162–163 In addition, film carried by unmanned lunar probes such as the Lunar Orbiter and Luna 3 (which used on-board film development processes) was not fogged.

3. The Moon's surface during the daytime is so hot that camera film would have melted.

* There is no atmosphere to efficiently couple lunar surface heat to devices such as cameras not in direct contact with it. In a vacuum, only radiation remains as a heat transfer mechanism. The physics of radiative heat transfer are thoroughly understood, and the proper use of passive optical coatings and paints was adequate to control the temperature of the film within the cameras; lunar module temperatures were controlled with similar coatings that gave it its gold color. Also, while the Moon's surface does get very hot at lunar noon, every Apollo landing was made shortly after lunar sunrise at the landing site. During the longer stays, the astronauts did notice increased cooling loads on their spacesuits as the sun continued to rise and the surface temperature increased, but the effect was easily countered by the passive and active cooling systems.[54], pp. 165–67 The film was not in direct sunlight, so it wasn't overheated.[66]

* Note: all of the lunar landings occurred during the lunar daytime. The Moon's day is approximately 29½ days long, and as a consequence a single lunar day (dawn to dusk) lasts nearly fifteen days. As such there was no sunrise or sunset while the astronauts were on the surface. Most lunar missions occurred during the first few earth days of the lunar day.

4. The Apollo 16 crew should not have survived a big solar flare firing out when they were on their way to the Moon. "They should have been fried."

* No large solar flare occurred during the flight of Apollo 16. There were large solar flares in August 1972, after Apollo 16 returned to Earth and before the flight of Apollo 17.[67][68]

So, again evidence still supports we did land on the moon. I think some of you just really don't want to believe.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Why aren't there stars in the pictures from the lunar surface?I can see stars from earth under city lights: through ozone, and an atmosphere full of gases. The moon with its non-existent atmosphere and lack of atmospheric gases makes it impossible to see stars in the pictures. Who would have thunk it, not me :rolleyes:

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
"You certainly CAN see stars from the moon, and if light from the sun and earth are not interfering, the sight must be nothing less than dazzling. You would never have to contend with bad weather, or with other kinds of atmospheric disturbance.

You may wonder why stars don't appear in photographs that were taken during lunar landings. Keep in mind that the astronauts were not interested in stellar observation when they were on the moon. The photos were to document the landing itself and to highlight surface features. There were some modifications to the cameras taken to the moon, but as I understand it, they still had features designed to "optimize" exposure by doing things like controlling the over-all average of "gray" that an exposure would produce. There can only be so much exposure in order for lit objects in a scene to give good detail. While the stars are breathtaking, they are still appearing as tiny specks of light. If the camera were set to capture the light of the stars (longer exposure), the other objects in the scene would have been completely washed out.

Photographing stars is not extremely difficult, but it's not easy, either. Try it with your camera. See if you can get good images of the stars just by taking a snapshot in a very dark place on a clear night. If your camera has any auto features, it will probably "complain". At the same location, try taking a photo of a buddy using your flash (so you get decent detail) and where there are also stars in the background. See what you get. "

"This is usually the first thing HBs talk about when discussing the Hoax. That amazes me, as it's the silliest assertion they make. However, it appeals to our common sense: when the sky is black here on Earth, we see stars. Therefore we should see them from the Moon as well.

I'll say this here now, and return to it many times: the Moon is not the Earth. Conditions there are weird, and our common sense is likely to fail us.

The Moon's surface is airless. On Earth, our thick atmosphere scatters sunlight, spreading it out over the whole sky. That's why the sky is bright during the day. Without sunlight, the air is dark at night, allowing us to see stars.

On the Moon, the lack of air means that the sky is dark. Even when the Sun is high off the horizon during full day, the sky near it will be black. If you were standing on the Moon, you would indeed see stars, even during the day.

So why aren't they in the Apollo pictures? Pretend for a moment you are an astronaut on the surface of the Moon. You want to take a picture of your fellow space traveler. The Sun is low off the horizon, since all the lunar landings were done at local morning. How do you set your camera? The lunar landscape is brightly lit by the Sun, of course, and your friend is wearing a white spacesuit also brilliantly lit by the Sun. To take a picture of a bright object with a bright background, you need to set the exposure time to be fast, and close down the aperture setting too; that's like the pupil in your eye constricting to let less light in when you walk outside on a sunny day.

So the picture you take is set for bright objects. Stars are faint objects! In the fast exposure, they simply do not have time to register on the film. It has nothing to do with the sky being black or the lack of air, it's just a matter of exposure time. If you were to go outside here on Earth on the darkest night imaginable and take a picture with the exact same camera settings the astronauts used, you won't see any stars!

It's that simple. Remember, this the usually the first and strongest argument the HBs use, and it was that easy to show wrong. Their arguments get worse from here. "

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Well I will just say... there is far far far far more evidence supporting the fact we DID land on the moon then didn't. If Russia someone who had every motive ( and knowledge ) to disprove our moon landing did not call us out on it or debunk this themselves, I don't see the reason for random people across the globe to not believe it simply because they went there themselves. There are a lot of things in science that cannot be seen which I'm sure some of you believe... this is not as much blind faith as a religion its no where near comparable IMO. But... your all entitled to your opinions but just looking at all the evidence its harder to disbelieve. Again, if you do believe this was a hoax... you give just as much faith to the people who staged because it is quite simply the best hoax of all time and would always be.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
DooM-;1369315 said:
"You certainly CAN see stars from the moon, and if light from the sun and earth are not interfering, the sight must be nothing less than dazzling. You would never have to contend with bad weather, or with other kinds of atmospheric disturbance.

You may wonder why stars don't appear in photographs that were taken during lunar landings. Keep in mind that the astronauts were not interested in stellar observation when they were on the moon. The photos were to document the landing itself and to highlight surface features. There were some modifications to the cameras taken to the moon, but as I understand it, they still had features designed to "optimize" exposure by doing things like controlling the over-all average of "gray" that an exposure would produce. There can only be so much exposure in order for lit objects in a scene to give good detail. While the stars are breathtaking, they are still appearing as tiny specks of light. If the camera were set to capture the light of the stars (longer exposure), the other objects in the scene would have been completely washed out.

Photographing stars is not extremely difficult, but it's not easy, either. Try it with your camera. See if you can get good images of the stars just by taking a snapshot in a very dark place on a clear night. If your camera has any auto features, it will probably "complain". At the same location, try taking a photo of a buddy using your flash (so you get decent detail) and where there are also stars in the background. See what you get. "

"This is usually the first thing HBs talk about when discussing the Hoax. That amazes me, as it's the silliest assertion they make. However, it appeals to our common sense: when the sky is black here on Earth, we see stars. Therefore we should see them from the Moon as well.

I'll say this here now, and return to it many times: the Moon is not the Earth. Conditions there are weird, and our common sense is likely to fail us.

The Moon's surface is airless. On Earth, our thick atmosphere scatters sunlight, spreading it out over the whole sky. That's why the sky is bright during the day. Without sunlight, the air is dark at night, allowing us to see stars.

On the Moon, the lack of air means that the sky is dark. Even when the Sun is high off the horizon during full day, the sky near it will be black. If you were standing on the Moon, you would indeed see stars, even during the day.

So why aren't they in the Apollo pictures? Pretend for a moment you are an astronaut on the surface of the Moon. You want to take a picture of your fellow space traveler. The Sun is low off the horizon, since all the lunar landings were done at local morning. How do you set your camera? The lunar landscape is brightly lit by the Sun, of course, and your friend is wearing a white spacesuit also brilliantly lit by the Sun. To take a picture of a bright object with a bright background, you need to set the exposure time to be fast, and close down the aperture setting too; that's like the pupil in your eye constricting to let less light in when you walk outside on a sunny day.

So the picture you take is set for bright objects. Stars are faint objects! In the fast exposure, they simply do not have time to register on the film. It has nothing to do with the sky being black or the lack of air, it's just a matter of exposure time. If you were to go outside here on Earth on the darkest night imaginable and take a picture with the exact same camera settings the astronauts used, you won't see any stars!

It's that simple. Remember, this the usually the first and strongest argument the HBs use, and it was that easy to show wrong. Their arguments get worse from here. "
Doesn't change my mind, but very good post +1

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
Fuzz420;1369331 said:
Doesn't change my mind, but very good post +1

This is the essence of the forum format! When you stick by your beliefs (even if they may be mistaken) but are still willing to listen and read other people's opinions, answers, and information.

I honestly believe we did go. My mom turned 11 the day Apollo 11 launched. That would have to be a great birthday present, to watch the first manned mission to the moon launch... It would have to have been an intense feeling.

I know the government lies, and often. It seems to me the gov't has been spreading more misinformation in the past two decades than the two centuries prior. I believe the American people are constantly being lied to and are very complacent. They accept more lately then they have ever before.

But the whole of the American people in the 60's wanted any sign of peace. Vietnam was causing a lot of strife with the people. The landing on the moon gave them hope for an end to world conflict. Obviously, the religions of the world will not allow such. I'm sorry to say it, but Faith has killed more men and women in history than politics ever has or ever will.

I digress. It obviously does not matter how much evidence we present here. Those who believe in a hoax will continue to believe. And I shall continue to believe that we have been to the moon and back. What we lack now is the ambition to go farther.

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Although I have always believed we did land on the moon 1 thing has always bothered me:

No wind on the Moon
Gravity (not as much as on earth but still present)
Surface described as a superfine powder were footprints would last forever

If the above is true why is the flag flapping in the wind on the moon landing video. I understand that the flag would be extended as the astronauts walked the flag to the spot that it was placed. But it should not still be flapping in the breeze almost a minute after all other outside forces acting upon it were removed. Yet at the same time there is :confused::confused::confused:not enough "solar wind" to erase a footprint in baby powder
Just a Question. Any Answers?

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Fergie76;1369627 said:
Although I have always believed we did land on the moon 1 thing has always bothered me:

No wind on the Moon
Gravity (not as much as on earth but still present)
Surface described as a superfine powder were footprints would last forever

If the above is true why is the flag flapping in the wind on the moon landing video. I understand that the flag would be extended as the astronauts walked the flag to the spot that it was placed. But it should not still be flapping in the breeze almost a minute after all other outside forces acting upon it were removed. Yet at the same time there is :confused::confused::confused:not enough "solar wind" to erase a footprint in baby powder
Just a Question. Any Answers?

The whole flag thing has been debunked 23802389 times. In all the conspiracy videos they leave out the second video of the flag being put up that shows the flag motionless when not being touched. I remember watching a really good multi-part series on it on youtube but I can't seem to find it. However since I can't find that one I would suggest any people with really simple questions head over to the mythbusters videos on youtube about the moon landing. All your answers are here ( click the remaining parts when finished ! ):

http://videos.sapo.pt/zA3UFJhmsty8QS8nVzw7

pt1.

I really recommend this episode. Soooo so far everything can be debunked brought up. So again if your at least thinking logically with the evidence presented besides being super stubborn I don't really see much reason to disbelieve besides the fact that is such an amazing feat for humanity. Some glass is half empty people in here :p.

Last edited: