Question about the A Series Transmissions...

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
The cable made no sense for me either - but i was concentrating more on the internals. For a box rebuild, what am i looking at getting, parts wise, aside from the obvious gaskets & oil seals? Clutch packs & brake bands?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
A few question's, Ian - what is the line pressure cable there to 'do' exactly, just regulate fluid flow? If you either a) remove it, or b) set the cable to a fixed position - what'd happen?

Also - the 343 valve body - i'm guessing that no Toyota that came with an A343 had a separate ECU for the transmission, leaving either the Engine/Transmission/ECU combo, or a PCS as the only option for controlling it?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Line pressure cable modulates the line pressure based on the throttle position, so when you're at light throttle the pressure is lower and you get softer shifts and less parasitic loss then when you're at higher throttle there is minimal slip on shifts Kai.

I don't see any reason to lock the cable there is 0 performance gain from doing so contrary to popular Supra Genii SOP.

Pretty sure anthing that used a 343 had the ECT built into the main ECU so yes a PCS is about it, I ran a SSv4 with mine and had it talk to the MoTeC so it could PWM the line pressure and TC lockup, I wasn't using the Accumulator PWM Solenoid at that time.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Aaaah - thanks for clearing that up Ian! I'm about to embark on a project in that case, bring on the microcontroller (going to MAKE a programmable transmission controller to fit in stock location).

This is a custom controller based on an ATMega168 in a MS65 Crown + A340E:

[video=youtube;er6DAlQLBBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er6DAlQLBBA[/video]

Imma make one too! :D

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Kai;1565119 said:
TC is Torque Converter, Accumulator is....line pressure? But what is LP?

Trying to figure out what MOSFET's i need to drive from the MCU, and what switching speed!

LP is line pressure I believe

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Bit of info - but, the '92-'98 Volvo 960 uses the A30-40LE which is by the looks of it, an A343. Whats interesting however, is that the transmission control is a SEPARATE UNIT. In addition to the transmission controller i'm designing, i'll have a look into whether this can be retrofitted into ours along with the valve body from it. Whatchoo reckon Ian?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I meant swapping out the A343 valve body and just using the Volvo transmission controller to operate it. I'm still building a trans controller - but it might be easier for some people to do a plug & play job instead of building one and programming the AVR (i could offer it as a kit i guess).

BTW Ian - can i possibly trouble you for two more things? One: How have you set up your PCS - got a config file you'd share? :)

Two: Could you approve the topic i started for the trans controller?

Cheers!