Question about the A Series Transmissions...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Been doing a bit of research into these, very low 1st gear and a lower OD than the 340's.

I "believe" the Bellhousings interchange but a, not 100% on this.

Control is going to be an issue as the ECT is built into the ECU on later model cars so something like a PCS will be needed.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Hmm...

See, i can't find a table of what the gear ratio's would be, and a 5-speed would be very nice in the blue one.

Would there be no way of mating one of these boxes with the trans ECU we already have, or would that be no use at all? A transmission controller wouldn't worry me at all - as long as it can hook upto the stock shifter (and look factory) and work :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
1st is mid 3:1 Top is .74, nope the Mk3 ECT can't run it as it's full electronic, PCS will wire in and maintain all the stock Mk3 functions easily as it can control a trans with 6 forward gears.

Another + is no need for a shift kit as it's all done from the PCS.

Only - is for it to be an actual upgrade you'd need a Diff in the low 3's.

a650e Gear Ratios: 1st 3.357 2nd 2.180 3rd 1.424 4th 1.000 5th 0.753 Rev 3.266

a340e Ratios 1st:2.804 , 2nd:1.531 , 3rd:1 , 4th:0.705

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Those the ratio's for the A340 or the 350?

Mk4 diff then? Or swap out a diff from whatever it was mated to (soarer/aristo/gs300 etc)?

When you say no need for a shift kit - i assume you mean theres no need to have anything other than the stock shift "PRND2L" pattern, right? Just trying to clarify :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
That's the a650e 5 speed ratios.

(340 ratios added underneath)

A "shift kit" is usually done by mods to the valve body and changes how hard the trans shifts under power, using the PCS all the trans behaviour is programmed so you can have buttery smooth shifts off boost and neck snapping shifts at full throttle (ask Big Rob how my car shifts he's driven it)

Yep stock shifter remains "stock", once programmed there's really no reason to touch it other than R and Park.

rgr on the late model Diff

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Oh - sweet :)

This is looking interesting - cause i can pick up a 5-speed A350/650E for £150. The transmission controller looks to be affordable enough - although the wiring could be a little nightmarish, unless theres a TSRM for the A-series (i know you have a printed 340E one).

However, it would STILL be cheaper than having the 340E rebuilt...and would be an interesting upgrade, if the bellhousings are indeed, swappable.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Wiring isn't all that daunting Kai, 20 mins with a Multimeter and a notepad would knock over the Trans side.

I "think" it still uses 2x Shift solenoids just with another logic layer for the extra gear and odd's on there is already a shift map to suit for the PCS.

Only other small headache for you will be a mech drive for the Mk3 speedo, not sure if the 650 extension housing has the 2 holes.

Of course there's a TRSM ;)

B02_RM843U.JPG

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Speedo drive doesn't worry me, if theres a digital output, i can always knock up an electromechanical converter.

I've got all the electronics tools/skills needed for such a task...but i've just not done it before - one of those things that i'm concerned that a fuckup would toast something in either the transmission, or the controller!

Do these boxes not work at all without a controller then?

IJ - got a PDF of any of those? ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The Trans will shift manually without a controller but you only get a few gears as a limp mode.

PDF for what?

Just checked no one has done a 650 map sorry
(wouldn't be hard to do one though)

There really isn't any magic smoke in the trans so the hookup is fairly safe/easy to do ;)

I'm a 2nd level PCS dealer so have a few "in's" if needed.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
LOL - PDF for the A340/350/650 etc :)

I have the A340E section in the TSRM here, so i can use that as a base.

Seriously starting to think this is an option for the old, tired 122k mile A340E thats in there. I was just going to get a filter and new fluid in there, but i'd want to replace the solenoids etc.

The other option i was considering, was overhauling the A340E in there, but even though i'm fairly sure i have all the tools i need, it looks VERY fiddly.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Kai;1478089 said:
LOL - PDF for the A340/350/650 etc :)

I have the A340E section in the TSRM here, so i can use that as a base.

Seriously starting to think this is an option for the old, tired 122k mile A340E thats in there. I was just going to get a filter and new fluid in there, but i'd want to replace the solenoids etc.

The other option i was considering, was overhauling the A340E in there, but even though i'm fairly sure i have all the tools i need, it looks VERY fiddly.
Nah there isn't one I can find online but you could check some of the Lexus forums I'd guess it's out there!

I'll let you know how "fiddly" in the new year ;)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Oh, you rebuilding yours? Get someone to photograph it - this has gotta be goooood :D

Related Q: Tranny seems to shift up 'late', ie, it holds in gear, unless you give it more throttle, and then you can back off - cable out of adjustment, or is it a case of 'srsly, change the fluid & filter, fucko!'

And on the subject of fluids - Dexron II is in the manual, but its hard to get hold of - so Dexron III would seem to be the thing to get, although again, theres rumour and 'stuff' floating around that Dexron III kills the A340?

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
so even the 3.42 from Jaws would probably be low.

the boxes look pretty darn close, if the BH swaps looks like it could be just a custom converter

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
mkIIIman089;1478104 said:
Definitely subscribing to this one!
It will lower your IQ

Kai;1478108 said:
Type 4 - got it :)

Any idea on the Q?
"Cable" has very little to do with shifting it's only Line pressure, shifting is dependant on the TPS so check that's adjusted correctly.

mdr40z;1478109 said:
so even the 3.42 from Jaws would probably be low.

the boxes look pretty darn close, if the BH swaps looks like it could be just a custom converter
Yep I'd say 3.2:1 would be a good start to load up a Turbo motor.

You'd use the convertor that comes with the Trans I'd guess 99% that it's the same bolt pattern, ditto on the bellhousing pattern as the early V8 bellhousing bolts on.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Ummm NO the cable has NOTHING to do with Kickdown, it's a Line Pressure regulator so you get gentler shifts at low throttle and more clutch pressure at full throttle.

In the 650 this is all electronic (I run an aristo valve body so I get the electronics)