Proud New Owner of MKIII N/A

Lans

May 14, 2007
Alberta
Hi all i am a new member here, though have read quite a bit about our cars but im gonna start off by writting about why i chose the car i chose, When i was 12 i got a ride in a 92 vette, cant remember if it was Z06 or not but it was still nice and got me into thinking about cars. Ever since then ive reaserched and looked at many different cars rx7s, vettes, camaros, skylines all the nicers. So 4 years later i just turned 16 and wanted a good driveable car to have fun with so i was looking for a few months and found a nice N/A 86.5 supra with a recently rebuilt motor. I loved the car so i bought it for 3500$ And hence joined the proper car forum for it
Details on the car
279 *** kms
5 speed
Non TEMS
Sport Package
Claims JDM motor
Burgundy leather interior
Climate control
Now obviously being a new member i have some questions;
Do LSD's ever clunk like u-joints the previous owner claimed it was lsd not u-joints however im not sure
my clutch slipped at 6000 rpm once is that normal?
Now for the real killer question there is a turbo upgrade kit from greddy i realize that this is to make a turbo car boost more however seeing as i am in northern alberta and finding parts from a turbo car is hard what would i need to complete it. Said kit can be found here http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Category=turbo&SubCategory=16
also if i rev the car to about 3k cold (never went above 3k rpm cold) i can hear a fluid flowing noise from the dash? is this oil pressure?
Anyways talk to you all later reading some of the stuff on thease forums i think im going to enjoy the fellowship between supra owners

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
welcome to the forums,

i can already see that you are going to be spending, ALOT of time here.

it sounds like you might already be developing a blown headgasket from the noise behind the dash; that sound is air in your cooling system.

are you sure the previous owner did a rebuild on the motor?

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
You can try releasing the air by parking on a steep hill with the car fully warmed up and removing the rad. cap AND turning on the heater full blast. Air likes to get stuck in the heater lines since it is the highest point in the engine bay. Burp the system for about 20 minutes or until air bubbles stop coming up. If air bubbles DON'T stop coming up, air is somehow getting into your cooling system, whether it's a leak, a blown head gasket, etc.

A slipping clutch is not normal, if the pedal adjustment is ok then you probably need a new clutch

The LSD should definetely not clunk, you could try changing the fluid/checking to see if there's metal shavings in it.

If the engine is rebuilt, it shouldn't matter if it's jdm. You sure he didn't just throw a JDM motor in there?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
ya, IMO. All jdm has to be rebuilt before install.
Too many people think they are plug and play the time you spend here is nothing compared to the money you'll be spending to repair your new love.
You may have been screwed, but if it's running thats a plus atleast you get to enjoy it for a bit before it goes south.

And it will go south. It's just a matter of what and when. I bet it's sooner than later.

Good Luck and welcome.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Lans said:
Hi all i am a new member here, though have read quite a bit about our cars but im gonna start off by writting about why i chose the car i chose, When i was 12 i got a ride in a 92 vette, cant remember if it was Z06 or not but it was still nice and got me into thinking about cars. Ever since then ive reaserched and looked at many different cars rx7s, vettes, camaros, skylines all the nicers. So 4 years later i just turned 16 and wanted a good driveable car to have fun with so i was looking for a few months and found a nice N/A 86.5 supra with a recently rebuilt motor. I loved the car so i bought it for 3500$ And hence joined the proper car forum for it
Details on the car
279 *** kms
5 speed
Non TEMS
Sport Package
Claims JDM motor
Burgundy leather interior
Climate control
Now obviously being a new member i have some questions;
Do LSD's ever clunk like u-joints the previous owner claimed it was lsd not u-joints however im not sure
my clutch slipped at 6000 rpm once is that normal?
Now for the real killer question there is a turbo upgrade kit from greddy i realize that this is to make a turbo car boost more however seeing as i am in northern alberta and finding parts from a turbo car is hard what would i need to complete it. Said kit can be found here http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Category=turbo&SubCategory=16
also if i rev the car to about 3k cold (never went above 3k rpm cold) i can hear a fluid flowing noise from the dash? is this oil pressure?
Anyways talk to you all later reading some of the stuff on thease forums i think im going to enjoy the fellowship between supra owners

N/a 86.5 never had TEMS anyway :p All supras had climate control to my knowledge. Your clutch should never slip unless its going bad. Your lsd should not "clink" unless thier is something real wrong w/ it, although bad U-Joints will.

Is your car already turbo? cuz if not dont even think about slapping a turbo on it w/o doin a lot of research, etc.

Also, the fluid you hear flowing through is the air in your coolant. It makes a waterfallish sound. For some stupid ass reason, toyota decided to make the heater core the highest point in the cooling system on these cars, so its pretty hard to get the dam air out of thier once it gets trapped. The reason someone meantioned a bad headgasket is because air can be forced into the coolant from the HG, and cause those bubbles, so like someone said, try burping it.

Other than that, have fun working on your new never ending project :D

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
burnts my car is 86.5 built in june and it had tems stock. jeff lange wrote a whole thread on the years and changes of the mk3 all the options and colors and shit but i cant find it right now.

global is right you should try burping it and doing a full fluids check and change if needed.

IMO turboing the ge is iffy itd be easier to swap it later on down the road.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
86.5 with (well, had) TEMS here as well. Yes, the LSD will clunk like a u-joint. If you haven't checked the u-joints yet, though, you should. If its the diff., you need to get it rebuilt. Probably needs new bearings and some clutch work. Your clutch should never slip. Air in the heater core is a pain to get out. Be carefull taking the rad. cap off when the cars warmed up. That hot coolant can leave a really nice burn.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
SupaMan said:
burnts (burntz) my car is 86.5 built in june and it had tems stock. jeff lange wrote a whole thread on the years and changes of the mk3 all the options and colors and shit but i cant find it right now.

global is right you should try burping it and doing a full fluids check and change if needed.

IMO turboing the ge is iffy itd be easier to swap it later on down the road.

Haha, sorry I thought TEMS was a upgrade in the later year supras. My B :(

Lans

May 14, 2007
Alberta
being that i am fairley new to working on cars how would i test u-joints? and yea i took it out for a bit of a spin today and parked in on a hill as sujested that fixed it. The motor was rebuilt the story behind it is that the previous-previous (original) owner had put in a jdm motor then sold it to the previous owner whos dad worked at toyota and the jdm motor blew so he had gotten it rebuilt cheap. the clutch thing was probably just me thinking things it just did somethien weird hasnt done it again. i hear ya on the turbo now that i think about it, the car has more then enough power as it is when i get board ill change up the intake and exaust as they look extremly inefficent. Now also i know the car needs new shocks and i also know that bilstein makes some for the car how would i install those? i am going into auto tech at school to learn about all of this. thank you guys for the warm welcome and im hoping my car isnt as much of a cash bucket as the rx7 i had before was the damn thing still isnt running right. I guess I learned a lesson from that if you cant drive it dont buy it.

On a side note i just thought of and think is probably relivent the coolant light was on until me and my dad filled the overflow with some coolant

Last edited:

Lans

May 14, 2007
Alberta
Ill post pics of the beast in a bit the body is what atracted me so much i just need to get rid of the trim polish a bit and put it back on and the body is near perfect

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
the exhaust is pretty efficient on the N/A, not sure about the intake. just get a 2.5'' back (any bigger and you sacrifice low end response), and leave the manifold alone, i've heard that headers are a complete waste of time and money

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
You sound like you're starting off pretty good. You're car looks a lot like mine when I first got it.

That side trim is rusting pretty bad

An air intake is a good cheap first mod

If/when you want more power I recommend a 3" exhaust. I had a 3" catless exhaust on my NA and was the biggest upgrade I ever did. It felt like a whole different car, low end was not lost.

If/when you want more power after that, I recommend saving for a 7mgte, 1jzgte, or 2jzgte engine.

I somewhat agree with a header (It's only 1 ;)) being a waste of time and money, I barely noticed a difference when I installed mine.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
id have to agree with global about the header its too much bs for the little gain my friends n/a didnt feel much diffrent from mine it sounded sick at like 6000rpm but it didnt feel like OMFG faster i think ill keep the stocker it does fine.

if you dont have alot of money what you can do is go down to your local autoparts store grab a peice of 3 inch stainless pipe take the huge barrel resonator off your car messure it mark the pipe cut it just a hair longer maybe a 16th of an inch or an 8th and put it in between the 2 tubes where the barrel was that way you dont have to worry about sourcing a full intake tube and if you want it always goes back to stock in like 5 seconds.

then you find yourself a nice AFM adapter and cone filter and you have an intake :)

global is also right about the 3 inch catback plus if you buy it now and it lasts you can use it on your 7mgte 1jz or 2jz swap :)

car looks very good i see a few spots of rust and what not but my car has rust too so its not a new thing :p

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
If I remember correctly: Every 100 Pounds = 10 horsepower. So if you lose 50 lbs off of all the A/C shit, you gain 5 hp.. and maybe a bit from not having to run the belt?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
That's not much, until you start doing some carbon fiber.
How much does a stock hood weigh?? Whatever it is the carbon fiber is much more light than the stocker. So that and ac delete and rear seat delete.

Ya, it's strictly a weight reduction thing.