project drop it low

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
Ok i personally don't want to do any cuting to anything. So as far as springs go which ones will drop the cars front at least 2," and as far as shocks go i was thinking some tokico blues or Illuminas. or what ever lets me be able to use my tems sistem.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
point taken, im absolutely wrong when it comes to this car specifically. sincere apologies, honestly.

i would have a couple points to make about spring rates, where to heat and why its not a stress factor, and the big one, what is and isnt safe... but theres no reason to go on with any of this, i was stupid for trying. sorry everyone had to waste their time reading such garbage, ill just keep my mouth shut next time i think someone wants my opinion.

it was just an option, never meant that he should go out and race with that setup...atleast 1 guy gets my point anyways.

again, sorry for being a douche

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
EDIT - incorrect information deleted

With regard to the picture of the progressive springs with some of the spring coils sitting directly on top of each other - this looks like the progressive rate is in effect adding a "helper spring" to the increased spring rate lowering spring done by using different coil thickness/diameter/pitch. I do not know how they are designed but you could make a progressive rate spring which had a really low rate at one end to act as the "helper spring" and have the higher rate main spring. Basically this would be a setup midway between a stock system and an actual racing suspension (not your Megan Coilovers) which uses 2 springs A real racing suspension will use one low rate spring for preload at full droop which allows the car to use all of its suspension travel and the main spring which is used all by itself when the car is out an the track (once the car is set on the ground the helper spring is fully compressed and only uncompresses if the car goes over a jump or is jacked up in the air)

Looked at the pictures of the Eibachs again and it does look like they are going for the progressive rate spring basically being a 2 springs in 1 setup (helper spring low rate and main spring high rate). Progressive springs like this are good imo. if it was a progressive rate which was two stiff to act like a helper spring Poodles would be correct and the car would probably have some adverse handling characteristics.

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
supradjza80;1464589 said:
sorry, but cutting a spring does not affect the spring rate of a linear spring rate spring. I have seen that said multiple times in this thread and it is not true. You could cut a linear spring in the middle and both pieces would still have the same spring rate (lbs/in or kg/mm).

Cutting a spring of linear or progressive design changes the spring rate. its just easier to recalculate the new rate on linear springs.

Say you have a linear spring thats 10 inches long with a linear spring rate of 10lbs/inch and a coil spacing of 1 coil per inch.

When you put 10 pounds of compression force on the spring, all of the coils will collectively deflect untill the springs overall length is 1 inch shorter then to begin with. (9 inches)

One coil of the spring has deflected a total of .1 inches, over the course of 10 coils equals a total deflection of one inch for the 10 pound load.

Say you cut the spring in half. There would be 5 coils and the rate would change to 20 lbs/inch. Dont believe me? Lets do an example with the new spring.

Same spring cut in half leaves a 5 inch long spring with one coil per inch (total of 5) and a spring rate of 20lbs/inch.

The coil will still deflect the same amount for the same amount of weight, that is correct, but theres less coils to deflect therefore decreasing the amount the overall spring will deflect.

Apply a 10lbs load to the new spring. One coil will deflect the same .1 inch, across 5 coils equals a half inch (.5 inch) overall deflection.

Apply a 20lbs load to the same coil. One coil will now deflect .2 inch, across 5 coils equals one inch (1 inch) overall deflection. This equals 20lbs/inch.

Maybe im wrong?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
supraboymk3;1464555 said:
Ok i personally don't want to do any cuting to anything. So as far as springs go which ones will drop the cars front at least 2," and as far as shocks go i was thinking some tokico blues or Illuminas. or what ever lets me be able to use my tems sistem.

If you really want a low drop then get HR&R springs and if you still want to keep your TEMS then get the tokico illuminas. I actually have 2 front ones im trying to get rid off. But yea, thats the set up i think you're looking for.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC

kcheng

mkii 7mgte
Nov 22, 2005
bby, bc
I cut springs on my MKIII back in the day and honestly it was great. $0 mod.
p1476275_1.jpg

p1476275_2.jpg