project drop it low

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
So i was going to get my lower control arm bushings done and get an wheel alignment. I was thinking of giving it a drop, before the alignment. So my question is. Whats a good set up that i can drop at least 2" in front 1.1/2 on rear, and still use my tems sistem. just springs? or both springs and shocks? o yeah, im working on a budget so nothing to fancy just a nice drop that wont cost me alot. thanx

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
get lowering springs or just chop the top coil off the stock springs if youre super cheap...it weakens the spring rate a little but ive seen plenty of daily drivers that perform well with just that little extra to get the stance right....not the proper way of doing things...but if your not the type to drive very hard and you just want the look...and youre cheap, thatd get my vote.

im just going to get lowering springs. you can get a progressive set and theyre awesome on the street. you get a lot of bang/buck depending on the brand. as for aftermarket shocks, tokico illumina's and another brand will work with tems...i forget

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
^ Do not suggest someone to cut OEM springs, it is not only a crappy ride, it is unsafe. Geez.....:3d_frown:

If you can not do something right, wait.

To the OP, Springs are relatively cheap to begin with, 200 ish depending on where you go and will drop the car around 1.5 or so. Shocks, I would have to look up, but are priced reasonable as well.

Duane

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
ive seriously just about had it with this place...

cutting the very top coil isnt going to do anything. but whatever, done it to 3 cars and no problems, unsafe my ass

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
suprajztwenty;1463900 said:

cutting the very top coil isnt going to do anything. but whatever, done it to 3 cars and no problems, unsafe my ass

I'm sorry, but you just suggested something that is monumentally stupid, and yes, it IS dangerous.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
suprajztwenty;1463900 said:

Seriously??? The only time I would ever recommend cutting OEM springs would be for a car that's going to a show and needs to be dropped quickly since propper coilovers can't be gotten until after the show. And even then only on the conditions that the car not be driven more than 5 MPH, onto and off of the trailer and into it's parking space only.

If you can't stand sound and very logical advice, leave. You're free to do so at any time. This isn't a Honda forum where that kind of advice is considered good.

OP, I also vote for Eibach springs. I had them along with Tokico Blue struts on one of my parts cars and the drop was just about right and looked pretty good. I think I sold that setup for $400 shipped, if that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Cutting a spring if done properly is FINE. It makes the spring stiffer as well leading to a terrible ride. Most aren't cut properly and 99% of people do NOT have the knowledge, skill, or tools to do it properly.

Also, progressives are worthless as there is a progressive geometery in our suspension design already (stock springs are linear).

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
drama.gif

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Poodles;1463910 said:
Cutting a spring if done properly is FINE. It makes the spring stiffer as well leading to a terrible ride. Most aren't cut properly and 99% of people do NOT have the knowledge, skill, or tools to do it properly.

Also, progressives are worthless as there is a progressive geometery in our suspension design already (stock springs are linear).

Thankyou! Half the peole claiming impending death as a result have not even driven a car with cut springs. Before anyone replies, no it's not directed to anyone in this thread. This is a general statement.

Being the springs are linear, knowing the rate and how much your removing would make calculating the new rate relatively easy.

Seeing as lowering springs are usually of higher rate then oem it could be made to have similar results.

I'm not saying it's better or worse, but "correct" or not it works and isn't as unsafe as it's rumored to be.

My sig pic is on cut springs, didn't ride bad either. I actually asked people how they thought it rode from the passenger seat with good reviews. They were suprised when I told them the eibach springs were really cut stockers.

Bottom line, if your really broke and/or want to try it, cut a half coil or so from the top of the spring. Worst case you replace them with lowering springs if you decide you don't like it.

Either way, new struts will go a long way.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
glad someone can atleast somewhat take my back for a change...sorry for the mini rant, its just every post i get flamed.

the first thing i said was he should get lowering springs, THEN i gave him a FREE alternative if he just wants to play around with different heights.

as for cutting springs, i cut straight across the last coil as flat as i can (horizontally), basically making the cut 3-4 inches wide, instead of cutting the coil straight across which would probably make the spring jump out of the perch when fully extended. you can take that a step further and give that last coil some heat to make it flat and a perfect circle again...but on the cars ive done it to, when compressed it lays in the perch pretty nice and flat, heating that last coil is more to adjust the height that tiny bit more. hell, i even had to do it to a set of vogtland lowering springs because they werent level, the front of the car was really noticeable, i thought i put the rears on the front or something...double checked and decided the do the top coil chop and it sat perfect

also i stated it was not a proper way of doing things...but free, yes indeed it will work if youre cheap. im just saying, ive been there...where you have spare time on the car, youre bored with it, but youre also broke. free mods are the best in my opinion.

a simple, "no i disagree" wouldve been more than enough to get your points across.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
suprajztwenty;1464097 said:
glad someone can atleast somewhat take my back for a change...sorry for the mini rant, its just every post i get flamed.

the first thing i said was he should get lowering springs, THEN i gave him a FREE alternative if he just wants to play around with different heights.

as for cutting springs, i cut straight across the last coil as flat as i can (horizontally), basically making the cut 3-4 inches wide, instead of cutting the coil straight across which would probably make the spring jump out of the perch when fully extended. you can take that a step further and give that last coil some heat to make it flat and a perfect circle again...but on the cars ive done it to, when compressed it lays in the perch pretty nice and flat, heating that last coil is more to adjust the height that tiny bit more. hell, i even had to do it to a set of vogtland lowering springs because they werent level, the front of the car was really noticeable, i thought i put the rears on the front or something...double checked and decided the do the top coil chop and it sat perfect

also i stated it was not a proper way of doing things...but free, yes indeed it will work if youre cheap. im just saying, ive been there...where you have spare time on the car, youre bored with it, but youre also broke. free mods are the best in my opinion.

a simple, "no i disagree" wouldve been more than enough to get your points across.

I don't care if you did it 50 times, it's a bad idea. I thought you were "DONE" with this place.

Don't suggest it if it isn't right and you know it's not right, that's my suggestion. Also, a simple I don't agree will not work in this case.

I have done a little more research and spoke with a reputable place and well known spring company. My take is here.

Performance of springs: To "properly" lower the center of gravity for an improved vehicle response, stability and handling. This requires extensive engineering involving spring rate, balance of front to rear, handling, safety, ride quality and pre-load at full droop. These are some reasons to benefit from someone that actually KNOWS what they're doing.

Cutting coils off is one of the methods of the misinformed becomes attracted to. Why?!! Because it’s cheap! :3d_frown: Cutting a spring causes an unknown increase in spring rate. This unknown rate is not a good thing as it could result in handling and safety of the vehicle. The cutting of a spring also increase the stress level put on the spring as well as adversely effecting other parts of the suspension.

Heating the spring so that coils collapse to lower it actually anneals the spring temper of the steel, which causes the heated part of the spring to fatigue. Generally some of the coils are heated so they collapse against each other. The OEM spring was NOT designed for this as it puts additional stress on the balance of the spring resulting in unknown spring rates and premature failure. (as I mentioned once already) Also, possible sagging or actual snapping of the spring. (unsafe, meaning it could cause expensive and even hazardous results.) This not only affects the handling, ride quality and safety of the vehicle, it also can result in bottoming of the shocks/struts (which causes pre-mature failure and unsafe handling) Oh, and tire wear can also be put in here.

END RESULT.

supraboymk3;1464082 said:
well I am willing to spend some money, just not $1000. Ill spend half of that or so for a good set up.

Great idea, good to hear some good came from this.

Duane

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
- Pigtail springs cannot be properly cut without some fixture (our cars use pigtail springs)
- Tangential ends can be cut (the lower perch on our cars is like this, but you can't cut from there as the diameter is smaller)
- Pigtail springs will stand upright, tangential springs will fall over
- ANY heat used on a spring is a serious safety issue (spring can possibly crack and fail)

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Poodles;1463910 said:

I'd have to agree. Here's what a set of Eibach Pro's look like uninstalled.

p1464180_1.jpg

Here they are installed on a Supra with Tokico Illuminas.

p1464180_2.jpg

Notice the top of the spring just rests on itself pretty much defeating the purpose of a progressive setup. I guess if you go over a steep incline and the car lifts it may produce some benefits.