Project Clean 87

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
please....please...give up on the headlights, they REALLY take away from this car's full potential! A front lip (even OEM) would do this car proper justice too. Then, she will fit the "clean 87" title, the engine bay is precise though man. Very well done under there.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Pics of said tail lamp mod? I want my Supra street legal. As for the flushmounts, it's in the works. I need to have the lenses trimmed next since they're leaving dents in my seam sealer in my hood. I think I may have figured out a way to seal up the sides of the lenses where they were cut but I need to confirm with TAP Plastics. I'll be filling in the inner corners of the metal boxes with bondo using my finger so that the corners are all nice and smooth (thin amount, just enough to smooth things) and then repaint it all with a product called SEM Trim Black along with the lenses. I'd rather not smoke the lenses because I want maximum visability. I'd consider it if you could prove I would lose a very minimal amount of light output.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Is there any material you could use with a blue, the same color as the car, that would take the place of the clear but when the lights are turned on, it is transparent? Just an ideal.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Not that I know of. I'm starting to like the smoked lense idea. Just gotta do a little research.

Edit: I just looked at some translucent films for headlights and the smoked film I found would look pretty decent. The site I looked at even had a translucent blue film that looks somewhat close to the color of my body, but the smoked film I think would look better.

Last edited:

1JMike

Sep 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey man just went thru yorur entire build and honestly Great Job Car looks Great.
Hows the wilwood system treating you. I have a set that i havent had a chance to get them on the car and give them a try but im curious to see what stopping power they have.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
1JMike, thank you. The ARZ BBK is amazing. The stopping power is insane. I would highly recommend some very sticky tires (Toyo R1R) for the front since your tires will be the weak point in your braking system once you install the ARZ setup. Andy at ARZ has said that another MKIII owner with this setup, ABS and sticky tires actually broke his wheel studs stopping. That's how good this system is.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
My buddy Josh hooked me up today with a good pair of front fenders, OEM front side markers, and a replacement drivers seat. The fenders and drivers seat won't be going on for a while. Here's a photo of my new side marker in place, soooo much better. Sorry about the yellowing of the picture, my camera sucks like that.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I pulled the bad battery out last night. Gonna see if I can find a replacement in the morning before work. I decided it's time to ditch the rear metal headlight covers so they're now gone. I have an appointment early Saturday morning at the local glass shop to have the headlight lenses trimmed so that they are no longer hitting the hood. Once they're done it's time to do a little painting to spiffen things up a bit. You can see in the photo's where I've taped off the metal brackets that hold the headlights. That tape is where the brackets will be trimmed when I remove them this weekend.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
So I've spent the better part of this weekend working on the Supra. I removed the headlights fully, tested my drivers side headlight and discovered the light itself is good so I have another issue with it not getting the power it needs, removed the vertical radiator support/hood latch mechanism, and I removed my intercooler. I masked off the front end and painted it flat black. I had the local glass shop trim my headlight lenses. Once home I masked them off and painted them gloss black. The headlight buckets got bondo'd and painted gloss black on the inside, flat black on the outside. The headlights themselves got masked and painted flat black and the metal covers that used to hide them are now scrap metal. And because I'm very OCD I had to repaint my lower intercooler support brackets flat black. Tomorrow I'll start putting everything back together.

To help in working on the Supra I picked up 2 shop lights (dual 32w T8 48" bulbs) that will hang from the ceiling parallel to the engine bay, but those won't go in for a day or so. Don't want to put the lights in until the Supra is back together and can be moved out of the way. The 2nd bonus pic is of Bill Bowering's killer custom intercooler upper support bracket.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Everything is now assembled, although I still need to aim my headlights. In an effort to try and fix my drivers side headlight I tried cutting the ground wire that's for the light going into the ballast and grounding that to a known good ground (while doing the same to the other half of the cut wire), alas I failed. Time to enlist some better help (aka Trevor). Sorry some of my pics suck, tomorrow if I get a chance I'm putting in my new shop lights, I'm tired of having yellow lighting in my garage (time for some paint on the walls too...).

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Semi-Supra related, I got a chance to install my new shop lights tonight. I rigged up a system you'll see utilizing zip ties and a bungie cord to hold the cords together without dropping when they're unplugged. All cords hang just above my head (I'm 6'2" with my boots on, 6'1" barefoot) so I can walk under them no problem. The shot of my engine bay is with all 3 shop lights on (got one over my work bench in front of my Supra) and the puny 2 standard CFL 100w equilvilent lights. Soooooo much better now that I can actually see what the hell I'm doing. I think the next step for this garage will be a new badass work bench and a couple coats of paint on the walls (long overdue).

On a Supra related note, I discovered 2 former hood bump things that weren't being used anymore and removed them as well as discovered that my hood is still hitting my lenses so I need to have them trimmed a little more and then repaint them.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
That was a long time ago. I bought this Supra in March 2007 from a friend of mine. I was looking back through my photo's recently and saved 3 of them in a separate folder so I can scroll back and forth through them. The transformation is stunning. When I get home (at work now) I'll try and post all 3 of them up tonight. It's pretty crazy to watch things disappear and get cleaned up.