Project Canon is a GO!

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
this is how you decorate a house (ignore the old wallpaper)

p1149893_1.jpg

now that I finally taped these two enlargements, i get to pull down their 4x6 duplicates and tape something else up :) I'll cover the whole place eventually.

EDIT:hmm, all of those are from film btw. That 20x30 blew up very nicely (Kodak TMax-100 for both of the big enlargements). I need to get some digital shots of my horse and chew them up in PS.
My entire trailer is gonna be a WolfCamera advert :) If the rest of my trailer didnt look so horrible, I'd print a panoramic banner and put it in the store.

All three shots for the panorama were ISO100, F25 @ 30 seconds with two flashes.

Last edited:

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
I've noticed that, in my own personal experience, using a higher shutter speed would help get rid of the "washed out" look of the sky. Granted, I usually shoot with pentax or nikon digitals (only shot with a rebel xti once), so the sensors may pick up light a bit differently.

Was there an overcast the day of the horse show?

An example:

l_a620a1394b734869b0fcbcfc098926d2.jpg

Shot at iso 800, with no noticeable noise. Granted, the body I was using was 6mp, so it couldn't be blown up to the size of your film enlargements by any means.

-Devon Goodspeed

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
some clouds at the shows, but not overcast. For all the running events I shoot 1/250th or greater

on the subject of helmets, what is worse: riding a horse without a helmet, or sitting in the arena taking pictures like this dumbass. I almost ran that fucker over a couple months ago, i should have too since he cost me first place (i missed first by 1/4 second or so cuz i had to check my horse and go extra wide to miss the fucker)

p1151548_1.jpg

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
I'd be scared shitless to sit in that general area.

Make sure you take a picture if anyone should ever run him over :D

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
i missed such a good shot a couple weekends ago; a woman was running barrels and hit one, but while her horse was circling the barrel she leaned out and grabbed it and tipped it back up, all while her horse was running around it.

anyways, this past weekend: \/

p1153844_1.jpg

p1153844_2.jpg

p1153844_3.jpg

p1153844_4.jpg

p1153844_5.jpg

I've added a new flash to my kit (Canon 430EX MkII). I also have a flash extender coming in the mail; should help out with these dark shots a lot since at that range my flash peters out after the first couple shots in a burst, as you can tell above.

EDIT: that series would make a pretty good 'owned' gif :) I didn't get the impact because at that point i was running out to help my buddy.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
hmm, go figure. Now that I have a digital camera, I come across a film scanner. A Sony UY-S90 Film scanner; scans a 6Mp frame in 9 seconds. Now i need to dig up a SCSI card from somewhere and find some drivers for this thing.

EDIT: better yet, maybe I should try to sell it; i hear these things bring a decent amount still....

NAiL05

Jan 12, 2008
Texas
Nice pictures but as mentioned some of the shots look kinda dull, dark, or the sky is blown out. Usually I shoot with a higher f/stop during bright days. I sometimes bump the ISO up in darker areas when I am using my kit lens. But with the 50mm I have now thats not really needed =D. Nice work though. Which Canon are you using to shoot?

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
How do you like your 70-200 IS? How well does the IS work when shooting a moving object and panning?

I am looking to drop some cash this week on lenses for my Rebel XT and I think I have decided on the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS. I know they don't have the speed of your lense but they are a huge step up from my kit 18-55.

I might just have to make my own thread in this section for some pics. In fact, if I get them before Friday I will get to try them out at a horse show when I go visit my girlfriend. Damn I love horse girls. I already have some pics from when we dropped by to see her horse with my kit lense but I am not happy with the results. They look so soft.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
the standard Canon IS lenses, while you can pan and shoot with them, aren't designed for it. It won't hurt the shot if you are constantly panning (as in, the subject is moving in a straight line), but when you are panning at different rates (like tracking a horse going thru the barrel pattern), it may act a little funny. The L series IS lenses (and maybe a few of the standards, but i don't think so) has a switch to go from steady IS to panning IS where it will only steady one axis.

The IS doesn't really seem to do much on an 18-55 lens, might help a little if you are zoomed all the way out in low light.

If you are wanting a decently quick lens, I know Tamron and Sigma both have a 70-200 F/2.8 for like 700-800 bux. It's not stabilized, but if you are using a quick shutter speed you can get by fine.

EDIT:
NAiL05;1155657 said:
Nice pictures but as mentioned some of the shots look kinda dull, dark, or the sky is blown out. Usually I shoot with a higher f/stop during bright days. I sometimes bump the ISO up in darker areas when I am using my kit lens. But with the 50mm I have now thats not really needed =D. Nice work though. Which Canon are you using to shoot?

i am playing in photoshop, i kinda dig the dull, desaturated look a bit (i dunno why, i just do).

Background is blown out on the first page because the arena is covered, and it is actually pretty dark in there, but it was bright sunlight outside. Because of the layout of the arena at the next shows (the uncovered arena), I am shooting into the sun on most of the speed events, and it is getting late in the day by the time speed events start

shooting a 30D btw

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
p1167603_1.jpg

p1167603_2.jpg

p1167603_3.jpg

p1167603_4.jpg

p1167603_5.jpg

p1167603_6.jpg

p1167603_7.jpg

p1167603_8.jpg

p1167603_9.jpg

Hopped a fence and climbed a tower to get some morning shots few days ago. First few are overlooking the lock and dam and the refineries behind it, last few are Bryant-Denny Stadium at sunrise (Roll Tide).

Whenever I can get some shots without fog coming off the river, i'll get some better ones of the stadium.