Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, a little update.. gonna be about 3 weeks until the car is complete. The 90 tail lights are on it (very huge improvement) its all painted and ready for the final polish.. just reassembly happening and fixing little things (has to go in for a retouch to the paint on the passenger side quarter due to a "wrinkle" in the body...

VERY happy with the color though. Its grey, but at night.. its going to look like a very shiney black.. lol. I cant wait to get it home..

This is the car without the molding, etc.. on it. the side skirts are on, not completed. Love the bumper now, but I have to do something with the inside for a wheel well because the old rubber mudflaps obviously wont be able to be put back on. Its fine as is, but it is kind of a "dirt catcher's mitt" where the addons are. Gotta do something there later on...

attachment.php

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Got the car home today. Needs a final polish still (paint not perfect quite yet), but all parts are on (well.. almost.. still need the front bumper brackets fabbed, driving lights installed and windshield trim put back on).

Very nice driving a completed body. Getting a lot of positive "drools".. lol

I will do better pics in spring.. these are just for "before the cover".. as winter begins to set in...

5227a.jpg5229a.jpg5233a.jpg5235a.jpg

Next step.. wheels and interior...

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Looking good dawg. The paint looks very nice. I can`t believe that you will be making it look even nicer! It already looks pretty to me :D So what r u doing with it now are you gonna park it and work on it until spring or what

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Currently, I am going to do a couple little runs with it next week and then change the oil and park it. I have to decide on wheels for it, get the interior redone (I want the driver seat designed a bit different with leather/cloth combo.. its the stock grey cloth now), replace the heater core, and do some wiring for the lights. I also have to pay some attention to the underbelly and clean and reundercoat some things.

I do have a small problem with the wheel well setups not fitting with the addition of the aftermarket skirts/bumper/rear bumper addons that I need to address, but those are minor. The rear bumper addons present a unique problem because they create a dirt catcher that I dont want. Will have to give it more thought though, because they are fibre glass addons to a stock bumper, so I may leave them so I can spray inside there. The car only sees light road duty, I avoid gravel.

Definitely a "never-ending" project though. I am just pure happiness that I finally have the rust out of the body and proper paint. The paint is very highly metallic flake.. it sparkles like mad in the right light.. lol

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Damn winter sucks.. lol.
I put the sunshade on yesterday and left the cover off.. and.. it snowed.. (just a dusting really). Too cold and too "sandy" on the roads to drive.. but I stand in the house and look down on the car and dream about the rest of the work. Takes a lot of patience to get these cars done right (and $$)

Here are some preliminary pics of the Sunshade (KevinM.. thanks!)

IMG_7208.JPGIMG_7205.JPGIMG_7204.JPG

If you look above a couple posts to see the pic without the sunshade.. I think it works very well with the whaletail.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
Super nice car man. Love the color!!! Im planing on getting the rear add-ons you have from shine. how hard where they to put on? did you have to cut away part of the rear bumper?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
connor.stephens;1801952 said:
Super nice car man. Love the color!!! Im planing on getting the rear add-ons you have from shine. how hard where they to put on? did you have to cut away part of the rear bumper?
The whale tail is a bit of an issue because I got fiberglass. It was very porous (as was the front bumper/sideskirts/rear bumper addons and headlight covers). Not sure, but I think if I would have went carbon fiber I would have had less trouble. (painted)
The rear addons are just that.. no cutting of the rear bumper. All the bodywork/paint was done professionally (total cost of parts + labour is just shy of 10,000.00 and its still not quite done.) I have no body skills whatsoever so I dont try to fake it.. : )
There are two ways to put the rear bumper add on though. You can mold it into the bumper (as I had done) or just make a seam (used that for my sideskirts because of all the body parts, I can see replacing those in about 5-7 years). I advise against riveting them because I find that to be the largest gamble for vibration/cracking.

My only complaint with the whaletail is that it is heavy (you need to have good struts on your hatch) and that the "plane" is wavy. (looking down the length of it from side to side, the top is not as flat and smooth as I expected)
It annoys me a bit, but it was a lot of work for the paint guy.. lol. I might be the only one to notice.

xzeror;1801983 said:
please tell me your going to lower it just a bit atleast >_<, car looks great man!

Those are 17's on it right now, I am planning on putting 18's on it and dropping it. However, I dont plan on slamming it because I want the car to last. Owned a 87 with Megan coilovers that was so low I would get high centered on speed bumps.. that doesnt interest me.. lol. Also, I dont want a gravel truck so I want some of the comfort (it wont be a track car while I own it.. ). Going to try for 18x10 in the back and 18x9 in the front. Fenders arent rolled so I am limited on my tire size.. but I want the most agressive look I can get without rubbing.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
Im running 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10 in the back with 275s in the back and 245 up front and there is no rubbing at all. that being said im not lowered yet but im planning on picking up some coilovers here before summer.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
connor.stephens;1802024 said:
Im running 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10 in the back with 275s in the back and 245 up front and there is no rubbing at all. that being said im not lowered yet but im planning on picking up some coilovers here before summer.

Do you have pics somewhere of the tire fitment? Would be good to see.. what is your offsets?

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Great read, a shame about the prev owner. I am 18 and I love my supra, never abuse it I just hope the previous owners were like me! bought it off a guy in his 60's and the owner before him was his mate (same age). Anyway great read I really like the paint and the whaletale, car looks great with the rear visor also glad your wheels fit nice, I remember your post in the wheel fitment thread