Project 88 MKIII - A Calgary build

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
===========================================================
ADDING A STATUS TO THE TOP
Current status of the Supra:
- Rebuilt 7MGTE (RCTS) with Wiseco Pistons (.50 overbore) Polished crank and rods
- ARP Headstuds, Cometic MLS headgasket
- Lexus (LIPP) AFM No longer used
- AEM UEGO Wideband No longer used
- Aeromotive AFPR (DM)
- 550 CC RC Injectors (Thanks Rodel!) no longer used- 1000 cc Injector Dynamics Injectors
- HKS Fcon Vpro 3.3 (7M chipped, only one that I know of in the world). (stock ECU swapped to a 89+ MT 7MGTE ECU)
- Innovate Wideband
- Custom piping to air filter (still using paper in stock air box)
- HKS 3000 pipe replacement
- HKS 3" catback exhaust with HKS twin tip muffler
- Raptor Racing DDP no longer used
- Custom 3" DP
- Tial 44mm External Wastegate (10 psi spring installed)
- Precision SP6265 0.84 Turbo
- SPRacing SP6262 0.68 ar Turbo (Polished and heat coated)
- HKS EVC-S Boost Controller
- Greddy Turbo Timer
- Shine Auto Whaletail, sideskirts, rear bumper add-ons
- Spec 2+ Clutch and pressure plate
- SS Brakelines, Brembo Rotors
- HSD Coilovers
- New Heatercore
- New AISIN Clutch Slave and Master cylinders
- New Timing Belt
- Khouki Tail lights (from Japan)
- 60-1 CT26 Turbo no longer used
- Replaced Fuel tank, new Denso MKIV Fuel pump
- KevinM Sunshade
- Retrospec FG headlight covers (painted), body trim (painted), windshield cowl (painted)
- KevinM smoked blinker covers (not currently on car)
- 6" Speaker pods (front doors, not installed)
- Full paint job (Toyota Magnetic Metallic gray with a red flip)
- Work Seeker 18" rims
- DM (CXRacing) Intercooler up grade with hard piping.
- Valve covers Powder coated Magnetic Metallic Grey (same as car paint)
- Intake (upper and lower) powder coated same color
- Custom built 4" turbo inlet piping with modified stock airbox (good job Anthony!)
- R154 Full Stage 3 build at Jack Transmission (good for over 700 HP at the crank) (01/21/14)
- Retrofit (rebuild) A/C system (1800.00 fricken dollars) - blows cold - retrofit kit seems to include a new compressor (July 18, 2014)
- swapped 3.91 LSD Diff with 3.73 LSD DIff (2015)
- **Engine rebuilt in 2015 with OEM style pistons, Cometic MHG, reconditioned head (after last head melted)
================================================================
I think its a good time just to put everything into one area as a diary of sorts for the car and to keep me on track.

The Story

I began looking for a Toyota Supra MKII in 2007 as my "finally.. kids are grown" car. 6 kids dont allow you for a sporty car.. just a minivan.. lol. After a year of fruitless searching for one that wouldn't bankrupt me, I gave up and started looking at MKIII's. In June 2008, I bought the car below.

7575_20.jpg

Nice, very clean 1988 Toyota Supra.. targa.. turbo.. what else could you want?
Worked nice.. I was happy...

The History
Previous owner worked at a body shop on weekends and fixed the exterior rust on the doors and quarter panels and painted the car (close to original grey with a bit more metal flake in it). Unfortunately.. he was 14 when he bought it and when he got his license.. he drove it.. hard. The shifter was shortened (but not the throw) and he accumulated a nice raft of speeding tickets. Then in 2003 (Dec. I think) he pretty well killed the engine.

January 01, 2004 - 173,829 kms
turbo gasket, release bearing, pilot bearing, egr gasket, valve cover gaskets, clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, 02 sensor gasket, block heater, bACD41-802 Spark plugs, DL3614 Oil filter, antifreeze. Removed and installed supplied engine.

- piston and ring ssy, rod bearing set, main bearing set, thrust washer, oil pump, timing belt, timing tensioner, gasket set, 6 ft. 3/8" oil cooler hose, 5W30 Castrol oil, DL3614 oil filter, Power steering fluid, antifreeze. Removed, rebuilt and replaced engine.

Well.. nice... a new engine.. all ready to go. umm... not.

May 19, 2004 - 177,142 kms
Same mechanic doing the work.. same driver killing the engine.

- Regrind Crank, resize rods, straighten crank, replace cidCT26 Turbo, replace rod and main bearings, replace with std piston rings, (used kcr09-01573 gasket set). (removed engine and sent crank for grinding, resized rods and replaced turbo.)
(just a note (Nov 12, 2012), the engine was built wrong, the head gasket wasn't cometic, and lasted about 30,000 km before starting to crater... just thought I would mention that as I am not replacing it)

Then.. about a year or two later.. the previous owner's father found the speeding tickets.. and.. guess he's on his own.. and cant afford insurance.. so.. the car sat in the garage for a few years until I found it.

At the end of June 2008, I bought the car for 6000. The only real problem was the valve seals and the fact the tires were about 5 years old (which I ignored). I had the engine compression tested and leakdown tested and its a tight engine. Runs strong and everything functions. The hoses are old, but mostly replaced now.

So.. stockwise.. 2 things to fix
1. Valve Seals - (They were not seated, were so brittle they were falling apart... huge mess.. fixed October 2012)
2. Heater Core (Done October 2012 - roughly 1300.00.. yikes)

Those are happening this winter. (hopefully) And then the upgrades will follow.

Mileage at this point was 199,000 km.

BUILD PLAN LIST (Whats here.. what's coming.. what I need to know...)
ENGINE & Management
7MGTE
- January 01, 2004 (173,829 kms) - Engine removed and rebuilt. (piston/rings/bearings/gaskets/seals)
- May 19, 2004 (177,142 kms) - engine seized, reground crank, rebuilt again, new CT26 Turbo at this point.

PLANS:
STAND ALONE ENGINE MANAGEMENT - ACHIEVED! HKS Fcon VPro 3.3 - Tuned by RCTS (Reg Reimer)

INTERIOR
- Found an upholsterer (I am a trained upholsterer as well, but I make more money working than what I have to pay to get someone else to do it) so will be upgrading the interior to leather with a dark grey and light grey mix. Carpet will be getting replaced as well. This is planned to happen very soon. (relatively speaking.. lol)

ALARM SYSTEM
- Sourcing this currently

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IMG_0321.jpg
Continuing on...

The Nightmare

In 2009, I was noticing that my brake lights had moisture in them. Now.. I was researching turbos, exhausts.. etc.. you know.. the fun stuff... and so this was a surprise to me.

So.. I looked. Well.. there starts the journey. My brake light seals are dry rotted and disintegrating (by the way.. the pre 89 trim has a rubber lip around it that does the same thing and thats where the rust begins... ). Moisture is in my spare wheel well area and my quarter panels (a lot of it.. and mud). So.. I clean it out. And.. while I clean it out.. I notice that there is flaking on my wheel wells. So.. I press.. lightly.. and a chunk the size of my hand falls out.

Thus begins the rust repair. Wheelwells on both sides were shot to hell. You couldn't tell... because.. well.. they were undercoated. WTF? Live and learn.. lol. Rocks can perforate undercoating over time and create tiny holes.. and those tiny holes produce larger holes.. etc.. etc.. until you have everything falling apart under your nose. Anyway.. I also notice that the quarter panels were redone using a strip of metal glued to the quarter and a billion quarts of bondo. Well.. so much for my "clean" car... (let this be a warning... people tell you to look closely for bondo areas, etc.. and I didn't simply because I was so thrilled in finding the car!.. just do it.) So, as a Christmas present to myself I sent it to a guy who was doing rust repair out of his garage. 3500.00 later (not including the parts.. that comes to about 500+) I have new wheel wells, quarters repaired (but not shaped properly) and primer. Ready for paint.. (not)

Here's a link to the body work done initially...
(its a jalbum) http://www.gdscentral.net/88supra/1988SupraPics/88_Supra_Bodywork_1209/index.html

So, after saving up since then to now.. I have found a very good guy who is starting up on his own. He is a Red Seal bodyman and I know people who know him. Its a tiny bit of a risk for me, but one I am willing to take. 6500.00 (estimate) for the body/paint.

Nows the time where I have to add pictures for that. (just assembling for the story.. hehe)

Here's the car as it stands currently...

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Including an engine bay shot.. because that will be done too eventually.. lol.

IMG_0327.jpg

Last edited:

TB90

Jul 12, 2011
Around
WOW, 16k into the car and haven't even touched the engine! OUCH!!!! Hope it all works out for you!!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lol, its not the $$.. its the results. Could have been done smarter.. but I have had 3-4 years to learn.. :)
In the end.. the car is worth it for me. And... It's actually more like 19000 at this point...

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I got into a little bit of a problem with my work computer (died). Just reviving all my client files and getting everything back up (server-wise) so been a little preoccupied. Status right now is that the bodyman is taking his time (I told him to because now I wont have the cash until Sept. 7th to pay him anyway.. lol) Also still waiting on the Retro-spec shipment for the body trim... and had a little trouble with the broken sunshade. (mail guys were rough with it...)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, kinda. Its going to have a bit more black in it and a heavy metal flake with a red flip. I was thinking of a blue flip, but when I saw the red.. it sold me. It is a Toyota color (I dont have the code with me right now) as well, although I would say a couple shades darker than the original.. but not too dark. the door jams are getting painted and the cross bar on the engine bay (in front of the rad). The only thing I am not painting is the engine bay itself. (also, dont have the interior fully stripped yet, so not painting the interior, although I have to strip the entire interior out anyway to make sure I have no hidden issues.. and I wouldnt do it all the way except I have to replace my heater core anyway and that means a total dash removal.)

Here is some pics of the Whale Tail, side skirts, rear bumper add-ons. Should have some more photos this weekend of the front bumper as well. (decided I will go with 89+ tail lights)

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Planning to pick up the 89+ tail lights this weekend and deliver the fibreglass windshield cowl, vented headlight covers, full 89+ fibreglass trim (all retro-spec). Gotta get a guy in to replace the windshield. Want to do it prior to paint just in case we have rust issues under the windshield.

Also have to figure out a good wheel for the car and proper offsets.. I want a deeper dish in the rears and a staggered fitment with the fronts being a bit narrower.

Last edited:

Drift4agze

Feb 2, 2011
Arizona
TB90;1747627 said:
WOW, 16k into the car and haven't even touched the engine! OUCH!!!! Hope it all works out for you!!

X2. I think money should be a factor with 6 kids man. I cant believe you spent so much on this thing and its still stock. Could of had an MK4 by now...... just saying. Sound's like the 14 year old kid flogged the living wee out of this car. Hope your happy with it....

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Drift4agze;1754766 said:
X2. I think money should be a factor with 6 kids man. I cant believe you spent so much on this thing and its still stock. Could of had an MK4 by now...... just saying. Sound's like the 14 year old kid flogged the living wee out of this car. Hope your happy with it....

lol.. youngest is 14 now.. and I have owned a lot of new cars. Buy 'em for 30,000, sell em for under 10. Where's the brains in that??
I pay 7.00 per month for full insurance on this puppy or 124-150 per month on a new car.
Plus.. once I have 30,000 into this car.. it will be worth more than owning a new car for the same amount of time.

Thats my logic.. plus.. (as I stated before) I love the car. Its unique.. its fun and its a hobby/toy for me now. I drive maybe a total of 4000-5000 km per year (Im an old fart) and the Supra gets maybe 1/2 of that.
Smart? maybe not. However.. we all want what we want. People put well over 30,000 into the MKIII's we drool over without blinking.. thats the road I am on. I figure when all is said and done I should be at about 36,000.00 total put into the car over 6 years.
But I will know my car bumper to bumper and it will stand out from anything else on the road. Its cheap.. but its all in how you look at it (mind you.. I could have saved myself about 12,000 by starting with the right car.. again.. live and learn)

Jake_ak_cent;1754815 said:
hey what's the name of those rear bumper add ons?

The whole body kit came from Shine Auto. The rear bumper add-ons are the A-spec I believe (you can see them on the web.. just google Shine Auto Project)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just came from the body guy.. and I have a couple questions (need advice). I bought the smoked signal light cover (fits from the 89+bumper nose to the fender over top of the signal light). Looks extremely nice.. however.. I just noticed something. The 88 signal light actually pops into the "vent" area of the cover. (will put a pic up to show what I mean once I go get them again.. forgot them there.. whoops).
The 89+ signal lights (I have 4 of those sitting in the garage) works perfectly however... the bracket that sits under the nose to hold the signal light in is different from 88 to 89+.. sigh...
Do I need to find a bracket from a 89+? Seems likes its going to be fun because I cant remove that bracket without removing the headlights from the looks of it.

Also, I got a set of 89+ tail lights to use on the car (just holding it up to the car, I think its the right choice). Now, I plan on replacing the gaskets, and I dont use the lock on the tail gate. Anyone have suggestions for what to do with the install?
I am thinking that I just remove the 2 studs on the top of the center section and use the center stud. Or... I drill holes (but one stud is currently missing...). From looking at the light boxes (I got those with the lights) it should be simple plug and play.
I remember a thread about installing the 89+ tail lights on a pre-89 MKIII.. but cant find it.. hmm.. more searching.

this is a lot of work and Im not doing it. :)

Edited to add... I bought the 89+ Tails, then I ordered the new seals.. then I ordered a JDM Kouki set from Japan. (whoops)
I just figured the Kouki will set off the color far better than the USDM version so couldn't resist. Will be selling the USDM ones later after I clean them up.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Got my parts home after being painted (holding onto them until the bumpers are done and car painted.. hopefully.. 2 weeks.. maybe 3?)

The paint is grey with heavy metallic (a newer Toyota Color actually). You can really see the red flip in the paint when trying to take a photo in the garage.

Whaletail (in garage) (shineauto)
IMG_0585.JPG

SideSkirt outside (had to wait for clouds.. otherwise the metal flake would white out the photo.. it glows.. lol (shineauto)
IMG_0589.JPG

Windshield cowl painted same as car (fibre glass - retrospec)
IMG_0592.JPG

Close up of paint on sideskirt
IMG_0590.JPG

89+ trim, all painted same as car (retro-spec fiberglass)
IMG_0591.JPG

The photos dont show it properly, but they do give an idea to what is happening.. :)

Also bought brand new A-Pillar trim .. expensive.. but I hated the little "chips" on the edges..

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
:naughty: Car is primed and ready for paint this weekend...

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

The sideskirts arent shown (or the spoiler... or the new taillights, etc... ) I love the Shineauto bumper addons and front bumper though. Going to have to do a little work on the inside to make sure it doesnt break too easily mind you.. fiberglass + rock = not happy owner...