Precision 5557B on 1JZ?

ubersonic

Jan 26, 2011
Wales
Hey would this turbo be good for a 1JZ?

http://www.precisionturbo.net/products/details/Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT5557-CEA/225

Im debating between this and a Garrett GT3076R, basically I have a JZA70 auto and want something that spools up quick and makes decent power. My comparison for spooling up quick is a bone stock 1JZ pair of twins and my goal for power is no more than 400hp at the fly.

The turbine housing id go with for it would be T3, .63 A/R with 3" V-Band discharge, as this suits my manifold and downpipe selection.

Thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Id go with the precision. Much better than the garrett and it has a billet wheel which will help it spool faster. If you get the ball bearing version it will spool even faster.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Actually, from what I've been hearing from a lot of tuners in my area, Precision has been having some QC issues as of late.. A decent amount of the local shops are now running Borg Warner because of the heavier duty designs. There also isn't nearly as many guessing games involved when it comes to finding out what parts on being used, and where they were manufactured. Whether or not this is still the case, I don't know. I've heard this numerous times in the past month or so, and these guys have practical knowledge versus hearsay and guessing games.

To be honest, it's not shocking.. They use the lightest or smallest parts AFAIK to net gains anywhere they can and then sell the units for a pretty cheap price in comparison to other brands. Perhaps something had to give? :shrug:

ubersonic

Jan 26, 2011
Wales
Thanks guys, the options for the compressor on the 5557 ball bearing as as follows:

- "B" compressor cover 2.8" inlet/2.0" outlet
- "E" compressor cover 3.0" inlet/2.0" outlet
- "S" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/2.5" outlet
- "Ported S" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/2.5" outlet

Which would be the best to go with? thanks

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
I believe the relationship with Flow to lag, and power potential increases as the list goes down. So whatever is suitable for you. I think ported S cover is referred to an anti surged compressor housing...

I reckon option B or E would be suitable for your goals.

Update. I only suggested these since you stated you only wanted to make no more than 400hp at the crank. People suggest ported Compressor cover for safety precautions with surges during boost/WOT since these options are leaving you with a bigger cold side but the same hotside.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
This talk of quality control has me a bit concerned. I'm shopping at the moment, and have been looking at a couple of the Precision variants that AMS sells...

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
ubersonic;1760257 said:
Why that one? what's the advantage of the 4"in/2.5"out over the 3"in/2"out?

Thanks

Because you aren't driving a DSM. For the extra ~$100 at most you'll have a much better looking compressor housing and wont have to mess around with a 2.5" -> 2.0" coupler (assuming you have 2.5" piping)

Its this:
p1760442_1.jpg

Or, this:
knptb-6262.jpg

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Or even a non-ported s-cover will do just fine
Your throttle body is 2.5 inches roughly, you don't want the turbo outlet to be a restriction.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
te72;1760330 said:
This talk of quality control has me a bit concerned. I'm shopping at the moment, and have been looking at a couple of the Precision variants that AMS sells...

Yeah, I had a PT6262 lined up from a friend with all my setup nearly finished aside from injectors, and then I started hearing all of that from Precision users and others that are reputable. I've since decided to go BW-S362 despite being more expensive.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Well, they are rebuildable provided something catastrophic doesn't occur.. So. It's also somewhat hard to argue with their prices provided one has no issues.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The 'rebuildable' bit is what concerns me, I understand that ball bearing turbos are a bit pricey when it comes to a rebuild. Will be looking into this QC story a bit more, see what conclusion I come up with. Couldn't hurt to look into the BW turbos too...