Precision 5557B on 1JZ?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
BW has 1yr, unlimited mileage warranty.

again, PTs are cheap and rebuildable, but what about if it fails after the 1yr warranty? Just a thought. Can the same happen with BW? Yes. But their reliability provided setup properly has not been called into question lately. In fact, Garrett apparently had some issues after moving their production to other countries, though that has been remedied AFAIK.

One of the main points that was brought up is where the PTs are being produced in relation to what parts are being used. This seems to be the main point of the debate alongside a higher failure rate. Again, many of these folks used PT until only recently. the parallel between this and Garrett might be a good one to make. Perhaps they will bounce back or create a higher end line with better parts and QC.

ubersonic

Jan 26, 2011
Wales
Thanks for the info/advice guys, manufacturers 1yr warranty isn't that much of a concern as I would be buying from a reseller over here not ordering from the US, this way I would get the extra warranty/protection from the UK/EU sales laws.

Okay, if I get the 5557 with the following options:

billet wheel
air-cooled, dual ceramic ball-bearing center housing rotating assembly
"Ported S" compressor cover 4.0" inlet/2.5" outlet
T3 .63 A/R with 3" V-Band discharge

And then fit it to a stock JZA70 along with a 3" downpipe straight to a Invidia 3" catback, a 4" intake pipe with K&N filter, a T3 flanged manifold kinda like the china ones but reinforced and made of decent steel and then plumb the turbo into the stock intercooler, what would the spool be like compared to the twins on the stock JZA? (exhaust/cat/intake/etc all factory)

I know I need other bits like boost controller and bov to make it work btw.

Thanks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ubersonic;1761278 said:
And then fit it to a stock JZA70 along with a 3" downpipe straight to a Invidia 3" catback, a 4" intake pipe with K&N filter, a T3 flanged manifold kinda like the china ones but reinforced and made of decent steel and then plumb the turbo into the stock intercooler, what would the spool be like compared to the twins on the stock JZA? (exhaust/cat/intake/etc all factory)

I know I need other bits like boost controller and bov to make it work btw.

If this is a 55mm and 57mm setup like I'm thinking, with the ball bearing and your exhaust setup, I'd be surprised if this doesn't spool up within a couple hundred rpm of the twins. Remember, you're pushing 6 exhaust pulses into ONE turbo rather than three each into TWO turbos. Might even spool quicker...

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
On my 6262 i hit full boost at about 3800rpm (Granted, I have cams, standalone, big fuel, E85,etc)

On yours I', sure it will be somewhere in the mid - low 3000rpms.
BB vs. JB does not noticably effect spool.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
87M-GTE;1761886 said:
On my 6262 i hit full boost at about 3800rpm (Granted, I have cams, standalone, big fuel, E85,etc)

That's really not that bad actually. Is yours a BB, or is that with the journal bearing?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
This has me a little excited for my setup. Too bad it's gonna be a good 8 months or so before things come together.