popping in muffler during accelaration

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
when i get on it hard and shift i get a popping sound in the exhaust like gas blowing up, not sure why its doing this, it has been since i got it months ago and feel like that my power loss is part of this, could this happen with bad spark plugs and maybe there causing unburnt gas to enter the exhaust valve, also i was using 93 and down graded to 89 to see if it would help should i go down to 87, any help would be nice anyone ever had this happen, should i do a tune up like plugs and wires??????????

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Mine does this as well, it will give me a good pop between shifts, if i do a fast shift. Mostly its on the decel.I take it you have an aftermarket exhaust. Ive changed my plugs and it still does it, maybe not as bad, so to me some popping is normal, maybe somebody will chime and tell me its not.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
My car started to pop just line yours when I went NA>T and got an 85mm HKS exhaust.

But when I had the 65mm Sport Exhaust on a NA I had no popping.

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
so should i downgrade the gas to 87 since its still popping at 89 and see if that helps and also change out plugs and wires, could this also be timing

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
mine would do this as well and i loved it and i wish it would shoot flames haha. how loud is the sound that you are worried about it???

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
well like i said its in the front of the exhaust and pretty loud at first i tought it was the engine lol, but its the exhaust, and i think it may be because of an exhaust leak, also how long does it take to change plugs on these cars

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
so what do you say guys should i downgrade to 87 which i didn't want to and see if all the gas burns before entering exhaust? then is this don't help plugs and wires, also for a few weeks my cap screws were loose i tightened them and this didnt help either.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
adjust the air/fuel ratio? get rid of some of the unburned gas beforehand, maybe.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
you are going the wrong direction with the gas profile. The higher octane the hotter it burns causing less...., overspray, for lack of a better term. Go 92 or 93. If you want stay @ 89 and get some octane boost.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I think he's actually having back fire issues...., not just a coasting rumble of the pipe. Mine back fires between fast shifts on the down side of the rpm's. It seems to be a common thing. When I get on mine REALLY good..., It's like someone picks you up and pops your back effect through out the car, front to back. She shit's and gits....., and she has been sick from day1, Hence my current build status wich we'll call broken.

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
yes exactly so should i go to a lower grade gas or higer i am at 89 its a N/A come on guys help me someone must have fixed this on there car, do you think plugs and wires would do this

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
supramacist said:
you are going the wrong direction with the gas profile. The higher octane the hotter it burns causing less...., overspray, for lack of a better term. Go 92 or 93. If you want stay @ 89 and get some octane boost.

The higher the octane the colder it burns and the harder it is to ignite. Thats why turbo cars always use higher octane, to help defend against detonation.

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
um so 89 or 87 would be better then 93, ok heres the other thing i never mentioned, i took my charchol canister off and routed the hose down the hole but never vented the cap, could this be related

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Switching grades of gas probably won't do anything, but try 87. If it does, then change your spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor and check out your coil to be sure its up to spec. If you are loosing power its probably because of basic mantainance issue. It could also be your cat. If its bad, it won't be burning that extra fuel anymore. That could account for the loss of power as well.

Are you sure your ignition timing is good?