popping in muffler during accelaration

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
i don't agree with switching to 87. I think he should go higher, so I'm just going to shut up. Higher octane burns hotter that's why people put it in before going to the track. But hey......, Humpty said do watcha like.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Why would anyone want to make their engine run hotter? Heat = detonation. I promise you that during a 20min lapping session at a race track you will NEED cooler cyl temps.

Here are a few points to think about:

Why do turbo and high performance engines run COLDER plugs? To help pull heat out of the cyl. head. Too hot of a plug can cause detonation.

Watch a Top Fuel dragster, see all the fire out the exhaust pipes? Thats because the fuel burns so slowly that its still burning on its way out of the engine. Nitro has a very high octane rating. Slow burning = colder

Deisel fuel. That stuff is so crappy that it just blows up if you squish it hard enough. Low octane rating.

The only way the average mostly stock engine in a street car is going to make any use of higher octane gas is by advancing the ignition timing.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
BosoMKII said:
Why would anyone want to make their engine run hotter? Heat = detonation. I promise you that during a 20min lapping session at a race track you will NEED cooler cyl temps.

Here are a few points to think about:

Why do turbo and high performance engines run COLDER plugs? To help pull heat out of the cyl. head. Too hot of a plug can cause detonation.

Watch a Top Fuel dragster, see all the fire out the exhaust pipes? Thats because the fuel burns so slowly that its still burning on its way out of the engine. Nitro has a very high octane rating. Slow burning = colder

Deisel fuel. That stuff is so crappy that it just blows up if you squish it hard enough. Low octane rating.

The only way the average mostly stock engine in a street car is going to make any use of higher octane gas is by advancing the ignition timing.
That's very true, the cooler your engine is, the less stressed it is and thus has a greater available powerband.

As for your question, Toyotaxtreamteam, you seem like your heart's set on the plugs/wires. Just disconnect your intake and throttlebody and you'll be set for replacing.