pockmarks in decked block?

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
alright, I need your guys help with the block surface again. rust is killing my whole car it seems....

I went and picked up the block today-the machinist hasn't had a chance to balance the assembly yet, he just got the pistons in today, but he did bore the block. So I went and picked it up so I could paint it aaaand:

2 things,

one) the deck on the block appears to have gotten some very light minimal surface rust, like ever so slight that I thought it was small black metal shavings that were stuck to the deck when i first saw it. That's from sitting for nearly a week as the machinist put off checking the bearing clearances. Pics to be posted below.

two) even though I specifically asked them too, and they specifically told me they would do it, the machinist failed to put in the oil pump drive shaft bearings correctly (if at all-they may have never touched them). and if they did 'put them in'-shame on them (long story short, the original mechanic didn't line up one of the oil holes correctly on accident-and said the shop would fix it for him).

I'm seriously about to pull my fucking hair out. I may have to get this thing re-decked because they took fucking forever and I STILL have my ORIGINAL problem with the oil pump drive shaft bearings. W.T.F.

vent over.

here's the pics, if you guys could tell me if you think it needs to be decked, I would greatly appreciate input:

p1750154_1.jpg

p1750154_2.jpg

again, it is sort of hard to see, but its there, zoom in.

Appreciate your help guys! :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Give it a light rub with some 1200 wetNdry paper using WD40 or crc 5-56 as lube, clean off and depending on how long till it runs spray with 5-56 or for long term coat with grease.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
No probs, as far as the AUX bearings go there aren't too many shops that can install them correctly... :nono:

I don't get this as it's NOT rocket science and there are only 2 of em..

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
I know really....youd think theyd be good at it as they are really really similar to the old chevy/ford sohc camshaft bearings (as far as i can tell)....for people that are supposed to be good at what they've done for all of their lives...im awestruck lol... didnt say it before, but the bearings are also so nicked up from the last person who messed with them (either the shop or the mechanic) that I have to go pick up some new ones tomorrow...

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
machine shop is, mechanic not really-the mechanics just a nice guy who volunteered his services for free when I offered to pay him to do it. He said he'd get the machine shop to check the oil clearances for free as a favor to him. So they (machine shop) put it off for about 8 days-then finally checked it.

I agreed to bore it, and balance it, so they ordered the stuff, and told me they would remove and replace the oil pump bearings I quote "for free because they are cheap"-either way I asked them to rotate the rear bearing so the oil hole was lined up-as my mechanic accidentally misaligned it.

So the bearings were never fixed, and the block sat so long that it developed a tad bit of rust. Not really a lot-but when I found out I was pretty upset because I didn't want to have to pay THEM money to deck the block they had essentially allowed to rust from putting it off so long...

Thats the jist of the latest happening. They haven't done anything wrong per se, just that I've had to go back and forth between machine shops for almost two months now, at least once a week-just to get one block machined. So its sort of wearing on me, even if this other shop is loads better.

I've had this block home at least three times now just to have to take it back again.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
legolyle;1750154 said:
two) even though I specifically asked them too, and they specifically told me they would do it, the machinist failed to put in the oil pump drive shaft bearings correctly (if at all-they may have never touched them). and if they did 'put them in'-shame on them (long story short, the original mechanic didn't line up one of the oil holes correctly on accident-and said the shop would fix it for him).

Maybe IJ can explain how you balance an engine with the pistons already installed. Because I don't know how you weigh the piston and rod, then spin the crank if they are installed.

If the machine shop doesn't do business with dealerships, you shouldn't either. I don't know about your situation, just passing that along.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nick M;1750271 said:
Maybe IJ can explain how you balance an engine with the pistons already installed. Because I don't know how you weigh the piston and rod, then spin the crank if they are installed.

If the machine shop doesn't do business with dealerships, you shouldn't either. I don't know about your situation, just passing that along.

You don't...

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
Nick M;1750271 said:

im sort of lost as to what your saying.

my machinist still has the assembly (crank, flywheel, pistons, rods, H. balancer) and I have the block. if I understand how you balance the engine correctly, you balance everything individually, right?

either way....its not being balanced in the block, dunno where you got that from...

and yeah, I considered the machine shop thing AFTER I had gone to the first one, but I was sort of wary as ive actually heard bad things about them.

Last edited:

legolyle

hopeful
Mar 17, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
also, IJ, gave that sandpaper (1500 grit, they didn't have 1200) and wd40 a go and it worked out great! If I had gotten it back like it is now, I wouldnt have been able to tell the difference.

:bigthumb:

Thanks a bunch man! (again)

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
im pretty sure you cant balance it with the rotating assembly installed. idk for sure though, i was under the impression that they weigh each piston/rod and balance those, and then they balance the crank to match it.

thats just what i was told when i took mine in.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
mk3-4-me;1750656 said:
im pretty sure you cant balance it with the rotating assembly installed. idk for sure though, i was under the impression that they weigh each piston/rod and balance those, and then they balance the crank to match it.

thats just what i was told when i took mine in.

You can't.

It's done outside, each rod and piston is matched to the lightest of their own.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
IBoughtASupra;1750692 said:
You can't.

It's done outside, each rod and piston is matched to the lightest of their own.

You still have to spin balance the crank even after weight matching the piston/rod combo's. Most times some weight has to be removed from the crank in a few places to get it balanced to under 1 gram front and rear.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
legolyle;1750441 said:
im sort of lost as to what your saying.

You said the pistons were installed. Don't sweat it. Balancing the engine and already installed doesn't compute. A balance is good. Git er done.