Oilsending unit. a wtf ?

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
So today went to put new valve cover gaskets on, new grommets on the screws Put all new heater hose on Then went to replace my oil sending unit to put the one in for my new gauge. Well shit it broke off:yikes:!!! Now what to do??? My idea is to drill i out use a easy out then change the oil and as i do get a tube and stick it down the hole and poor oil into it to flush the aluminum out. ant other ideas?

p1750713_1.jpg

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Should be a hole in the center of the broken fitting... some penetrating oil and an easy out should pull it out pretty easily. Likely won't chew it up much, either, so less cleanup.

Also, keep in mind there are at least two different threads for the oil sending unit. Make sure the one you are putting in matches the threads you have.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
jonahs_supra;1751097 said:
If you do have to drill it
Put some sort of grease on the end of the bit to help catch metal shavings

I did this when I had to put a helicoil in my number 5 spark plug
Not a single shaving touch my piston lol
t

Thank you for that idea.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

BAD news!!!! So i walked away from the problem to think about it for awhile. Went to work on pos z32 lol. While working on it my father comes over with a smile on his face saying i got it OUT!! So im thinking sweet. Then i go over and take a look ya he broke the FUCKING block!!!!!!!! He broke the bottom half off that holds in the oil sending unit in ( the part that has the threads on it) Any ideas what to do now? or is this Block screwed? Can i weld it shut and relocate the oil sending unit? Any help would be grateful im scratching my head and pist off at the same time.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

GrimJack;1751016 said:
Should be a hole in the center of the broken fitting... some penetrating oil and an easy out should pull it out pretty easily. Likely won't chew it up much, either, so less cleanup.

Also, keep in mind there are at least two different threads for the oil sending unit. Make sure the one you are putting in matches the threads you have.

Yes sir i did all that. But now SCREWED!!!!:: angry ::

FloTex

Crankin since the 1900s
Aug 13, 2008
Tallahassee, Florida
I would check with a machine shop and see if they have any ideas (free).
I would go to the parts store and get some freeze spray (for rusted bolts ...). Tighten a screw into the center of the broken fitting as tight as you can get it. Freeze the fitting and it should contract, then try to unscrew it. If it's your lucky day the screw will hold enough to extract it. This is a great approach with an easy-out also. If you can get to it with a Dremel or other tool to cut a slot in it (fill the hole first so shavings don't go into the block) you could freeze it and then try to unscrew it. I know it depends on if the engine is out or in. It is in a terrible location to get to.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
IJ.;1751802 said:
Block is now junk... next.

Man that sucks. Anyway Am i allowed to FIRE the old man lol.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

HAHA really man thats such a bad idea. My cus is coming over Saturday to see if he can weld it up.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Heavy D;1751892 said:

A pics is up now man.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
well thats not to bad
idk how ghetto you want to go with it
but here is the 2 things i would suggest

1. either fill plug will jb weld or have someone weld shut
then find new oil passage

2. get a bspt fitting thats the same size as your old oil sending unit
screw into block
mix some jb weld up(mix it really good)
now slather the jb weld around the broken piece
build up jb weld enough to where it looks good enough
let sit for a few days to help cure
remove bspt fitting and tap the threads for whatever gauge your going to use

hopefully it holds lol
if tractor motors can have a hole fixed in the side with jb weld then i dont see why it wont hold

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
If you're in a real bind for a block, I have my old one in my garage. Shipping would be killer to get to OK, but the reason I put a JDM motor in it was low compression in cylinder #3. Other than that, I'm confident you could put something together. You could get your dad to pay shipping...PM me if you're interested and I can give you more details.