OEM Sub

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Spaniard;1097632 said:
I will say. I know almost nothing about sound systems first-off. But everyone talks about the OEM sub not doing much and a decent 8" would be better. Couldnt you take the OEM box and upgrade the speakers to something much nicer and more modern? Then may amp them and they would be good for some mid-sound bass? The OEM unit cant be terribly.

I will say, its uber JDM rare.

You can if you want to. Put dynamat over the box. measure the internal volume of the box to make sure that the subs you are using have enough space. It should work as an intermediate upgrade. Nevertheless, average 6.5 sub from Jl or CDT costs about 100$ each. So, to buy a good 8" sub you need about a 100 or less and a mdf box about 20. Ultimatly 8" upgrade wins either way; in terms of bass amount/quality and being financialy sound.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Mk3runner;1097557 said:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

theres mine.

THAT's an OEM Sub?
my audiobahn tube woofer fits better than that thing.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
That stock, rare sub setup takes up the space I have my 5 channel amp located under the stock wood/carpet lift tray. (There is about 2" of space there, so you can fit a flat amp with careful planning...)

I made up my own sealed enclosure, and used a 10" Diamond Audio, magnesium cone/alloy framed sub in it..... (Running a 100watts to the sub, and 50w. each to the 4 diamond CF cone mid and tweeter combos and their crossovers in the stock locations, in modified boxes, and trim panels.)

Sounds pretty good. But then again, I'm not into rap, so the bass I wanted was just right from what I got/made/designed.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1100626_1.jpg

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Yeah, but anyone can slap a small box in there and get okay sound. I think i'm a whore for rare oem stuff.
BTW, that box would probabally sound a lot better if you pointed it up towards the hatch glass.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah it would sound louder facing the tail lights. The sound will bounce back into the cabin. You'll have alot more bass doing this vs subs facing up, or toward the cabin. You can also use sound and vibration deadening materials to increase the sound quality and loudness of your subs. Buying a bigger sub isn't always the right solution. if you isolate vibration (bare metal) and then put open/closed cell foam on top, you'll get rid of the road nose and will hear more music more detail and so on. + you'll have more comfortable ride. Sound and vibration control is the first step in upgrading a sound system otherwise all that expensive speakers and subs just a waste of money.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Look what arrived in the mail today!

p1103469_1.jpg

p1103469_2.jpg

p1103469_3.jpg

For those wondering if the box comes apart, yes it does, and here is what is going in it. (just need to shave a little off the outer frames of the subs) The box volume may not be ideal for these, but they'll sound better than the paper stockers that are currently in the box.
p1103469_4.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
that oem sub box look's like it's in nice shape.will the targa still bolt in with this thing in the back?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
That OEM sub is in great shape..

On the subject of the way it's facing, the sub I built reflects the sound off the rear body panel and hatch glass, and I used the reflection technique to mount the rear tweeters, so they disperse the highs off the quarter glass, it works great.

I retained the stock jute and carpet, so the sound deadening is pretty good, and my spare tire is in the garage, so I keep a container with rags, a funnel, some wax and car cleaning products in that space, and that absorbs sounds too.

Also, my Subwoofer is oil dampened... LOL (There is about 3 quarts of oil in that blue tube that is my grille... The Canton Accusump.) When I installed it, there was a noticable reduction in vibration harmonics when playing music with lots of bass... So it's good for the motor, and oil damps my sub. ;)

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
adampecush;1103469 said:
Look what arrived in the mail today!

p1108428_1.jpg

For those wondering if the box comes apart, yes it does, and here is what is going in it. (just need to shave a little off the outer frames of the subs) The box volume may not be ideal for these, but they'll sound better than the paper stockers that are currently in the box.

That sounds awesome! However, when you open the subwoofer box, a pic of the inside would be nice! :)
Good choice on JL Audio. I bet that would sound awesome!

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
Huh oh! i've been thread jacked...... Sorry dudes i been real busy since I started this thread, pics going up in the morning.

I was gonna buy that OEM sub too, so i guess your the one that beat me to it. Cool man!!! Your sub looks great, did it come with the replacement carpet?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
no carpet, but i did get the amp, and it is mint (too bad I'm not going to be using it) I'll get pictures of the inside of the sub box next week. The frames of the subs require a little bit of modification to fit the box, but it is just some trimming of the metal mounting flange, so it won't affect anything.

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
Nice, mine just blew so i was gonna replace mine also. It sounded damn good though. Heres my setup that everyone has been waiting for. Good luck to you and your JL's those are going to hit nice...

The sub is the same except, its suppose to come w/ the special carpet. Which you would remove the wood w/ hindges and all. Then it has a raised part for the spare tire, thats what the lump is...

Attachments

• 100_0089.jpg
    100_0089.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_0090.jpg
    100_0090.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0091.jpg
    100_0091.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited: