NSX headlight conversion thread.....reborn.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
CryoSlash said:
screw you guys, this headlight conversion FTW!
IMG_1202.jpg
wow, that looks expensive.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
another reason to keep the popup headlights.... laser radar picks up things like headlights, tail lights, fog lights, licence plates the most.... then intercoolers, radiators, etc.... then cars that have a lighter color.

having a dark car, with the headlights down, foglights removed, no front plate and just an intercooler is one of the best ways to keep the laser from getting a quick lock on your speed from the front! ;)

i *WILL* have NSX popup headlights one day... or something similar.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Lidar, or Laser speed "radar" needs any reflective surface to work well.

True, flat black or flat dark cars tend to be less visable, but any license plate will do the job.
Lamps tend to diffuse the beam, but reflectors built into the marker lamps do just that, reflect...

The best defense for Lidar is having running lights, and the brightest ones you can afford. Put them just to each side of the license plate, and leave them all the time. (Well, when the car is running obviously.. LOL)

From what I've read, the reason the PD does not use Lidar at night is simple. Too much light noise from headlights for them to get accurate speed readings at any range short of being right on top of the officer using the gun.

Car and Driver did a test that proved IIRC simple bright fog lamps placed right by the reflective license plate effectively cut down the range on Lidar to where you should be able to see the PD before they get a reading on you most of the time.

I've also seen LED based systems that use a license plate type frame that has a bright LED's in the same light spectrum as the Lidar, designed to jam the signal.

Speaking of this jamming effect, light is not regulated yet by the FCC, so there are no rules against active light jamming for Lidar in any state I'm aware of.... LOL

But, it's illegal to actively jam radar in any form, in any state. All you need is radar emmiters in the right freq. range blasting out microwaves all the time, and not only could you cook chickens on the bumper, but the PD would have no reading on you untill your very close if at all..... (And you could cook those silly liberal bumper stickers off that annoying SUV/Minivan blocking your view while in traffic... LOL)

Oh, ya, back on topic, why in the world would anyone change out the nifty pop up design of the MK3 headlamps? Just install Silverstar sealed beams and fog bulbs and enjoy the awesome light output of your stock system! If you want flush mount headlamps, go buy another car with flush lights.

flip1295

May 3, 2006
NH
well if anyone watches the discovery channel and has seen mythbusters they would know that there is physically no way to stop lidar or radar, has nothing to do with plates, paint color, tin foil, or even leds.. the only way (illegal) would be a true jammer but obviously that ticket isnt worth it.. the nsx conversion is the coolest way to make the lame flip headlights look good, if anyone knows who sells the headlights let me know i want them and i can fabricate a kit in the metal shop so i may make kits if someone knows where i can score the headlights.. ive tried ebay and importers that i know of so let me know...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, i have a set of NSX headlights. it's not quite as easy as just fabricating a kit. the NSX lights are very deep. you have to cut out part of the core support/relocate the battery to get this to work. i don't have the measurements on me, nor can i find them right now, but there's quite a bit of cutting involved. :)

-shaeff

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
flip1295 said:
well if anyone watches the discovery channel and has seen mythbusters they would know that there is physically no way to stop lidar or radar, has nothing to do with plates, paint color, tin foil, or even leds.. the only way (illegal) would be a true jammer but obviously that ticket isnt worth it.. the nsx conversion is the coolest way to make the lame flip headlights look good, if anyone knows who sells the headlights let me know i want them and i can fabricate a kit in the metal shop so i may make kits if someone knows where i can score the headlights.. ive tried ebay and importers that i know of so let me know...

Do you think mythbusters aould actually show anyone how to beat it. They would be heald liablr for all the nuts going out after sticking things to there car trying to beat the lidar and radar. Just Remeber Mythbusters is really just an entertainment show and nothing more.

I realy do wish a company would just come out with a nice bolt it kit. for some nice popups. there are other cars out there that have simular popup lights. why are the NSX light so covited?

Supranick did a very sweet job of his own with some Hella lights

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
NSX lights are coveted because they're not exactly easy to come by, much less for cheap. also, they're projector lights, which give a way better light pattern then standard halogens. and they look wicked!

-shaeff

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The NSX lamps are nice, but do not fit without lots of mods.

Those BWM lamps look nice too, but I have no idea how much they are, or if they are as wide as our sealed beam housings? (IF they are too wide, your looking at shaving the hood now to make them fit... Good luck.)

Mythbusters are funny, but nothing more. Take two guys who did special effects for movies and let them design a show, and you get Mythbusters... Scientists, they are not.

Lidar works on non-visable light lasers being bounced off your car. It calculates your vehicle speed about the time it get's a return on the laser light. (Very fast.)
The beam is nice and tight, so the PD can pick you out of thick traffic if they can see you. (IE your going 80 in traffic going 77mph, so they get YOUR speed reading, and it holds up in court.) Radar has a wider beam at similar distances, so it's hard to prove and get an accurate speed reading in traffic at speeds so close together from what I've read and been told.

So, as I noted, you can't actively jam radar because it's illegal to transmit radio waves on "radar" freq's in this country. (Besides the health risk, the government has banned you being able to use those freq's as they are reserved for things like door openers and PD radar speed estimateing equipment.)

But, the government has not banned light transmisison. (You guys know "light" is really just radio waves you can see right...? All visable and non-visable light falls into a freq. spectrum that most incandesant lights create when they are on.) So this "white noise" that you can see is what comes out, and is focused by your head lights. IIRC, the higher the lamp can "transmit" the whiter the lamp output. (recorded in Kelvin, the higher the Kelvin number, the whiter the lamp output untill your into the blues and purples at the end of the spectrum.)

About 5000K is "white" light. Higher and your going blue and purple. 4500 is more yellow, and 4000 is more yellow still.

Sunlight is about 5500K IIRC. (So why are people running around with 6000k HID lamps? I don't know, but they are sure blue/purple at that range, and if that's what they want, good for them, but I like 5500K light myself actually.)

Ok, back on topic. Jamming LIdar.
As discussed, a reflective surface is the best for the PD to get a nice return off your car. (License plate, or reflector on your car.)
You know where those are located because you can see them as much as anyone else.
If you place bright lamps near those sources of reflectivity, your license plate and reflectors, you create a jamming effect because your lamps are creating more light than the laser beam reflecting off your car, and the PD sitting on the roadside can't get a return to gauge speed because of all the jamming "Noise" being spewed out of your fog/driving/head lamps.

At least they can't get a return untill you are much closer, and buy then, you should notice them sitting there with frustrated looks on their faces and slow down before the jamming can't overcome the close range, and they get a speed reading on your car...

Which lamps are best? I don't know, but if anyone wants to use a lidar and find out, I'd love to have more data on defeating this Lidar system. Heck, I'd mount spot lamps on my bumper if it would result in them not being effective anymore. Or if strips of very bright LED's in the right light freq. will defeat Lidar, let's get a group buy going and mount a few rows in the upper and lower grille areas, and around the back of my car to never give the PD a chance at getting a reading.. (BTW, my Valentine 1 will pull a false Lidar reading when I'm very close to some of these new LED lamps on cars. There is enough of the right light that the sensor think's it's being Lidar'ed by the PD while I'm just sitting at the stop light behind a semi truck trailer. (Best one so far was a horse trailer with about 200 LED stop lamps and running lights. The guy would hit his brakes, and my Valentine would go nuts...!!)

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
BMW 8 series lights are too wide and would require massive customization - I looked into this many years ago.

If you are concerned about laser - used almost exclusively here in Portland OR BTW - then you need to invest in the Blinder. I know several people that have these and they all SWEAR by them. It won't stop you from being paced, tagged from the air, or pegged with radar. Run a V1 and the Blinder (and don't forget to pay attention to what is going on around you) and you should be fine.

*disclaimer: I do not condone speeding. If you must race please do it on the track. And DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Funny I tried to find this thread for this very question, Id like to know the very same answer about just getting the lenses only. The member below this thread says they are glued on. Id like to try to un glue it. yes know,.. "good luck". I was thinking the same as "Siman" it doesn't matter if they aren't H.I.D from the get go, I'll get it to work some how. I'll frabricate a shallow housing and have an exterior ballast housing....(I think )...Ok I'll smoke hit.