No Brakes!!!!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Yes, I am a firm proponent of careful testing before putting anyone besides myself at risk. A simple drive around the block or for that matter a quick in and out of the driveway would have been enough to let you know something was wrong with the brakes and the car should have been parked immediately to fnd the cause. I think you learned a valuable lesson regarding your own ability to make repairs as well as what to expect when you post about it on this or any other forum. Just a side note, be glad you posted this here as opposed to a couple of other mk3 sites. If you had you would be trying to figure out what you are gonna do with that new asshole you just got ripped.

Either way I think you now see the mistakes you made and since no one was injured and you now have a better understanding of one automotive system, I think its all good in the end. I will further add that every one of us started somewhere, and some of us have been at this game for longer than you have been alive. Even veterens make mistakes, but they usually just end up costing us money and dont put peoples lives in danger.

Im unsure of where you are in TX but I know SM has quite a few members in TX. You might want to see if anyone in your area is willing to spend a little time mentoring you. I would be willing to bet someone here would step up and offer some time.

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
IJ. said:
Austin: This is a mistake you can learn from ;)
(you were very lucky this time)

Where I would slap you senseless is if you didn't learn from it and kept making similar mistakes.

You have access to arguably the best resource for Mk3's in the world (SM) and 24/7 someone will be here that should be able to help out with advice, couple that with a digi cam at your end to save trying to explain things you don't understand and you're set!

Better than that would be having someone that lives nearby that doesn't mind letting you turn the wrenches while watching and teaching you.

I feel like slapping myself silly:p.
I don't know what I would do without SM and I words cannot describe how much I appreciate the help everyone has given me [and not just in this thread].

I don't know why I didn't take the car around the block right after, just to test the brakes but I will definitely not make the same mistake twice.

I actually have some-what of a mentor [Cuel, on SM and SF] but for some reason I didn't give him a call - like I normally do before I start something - and just went on my way.

Thanks again for spreading some knowledge and helping me out!:)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Fun to go fast, but the faster you go the faster you have to stop, very important part of working with any kind of car. There's always somebody on here that can help you out with a problem or try to get you pointed in the right direction. I've had my Supra since 88 and still don't know all there is to know about it as a few members here can attest to that. The best thing you can do when you want to do something is to search and read, then search some more, then if you find something you don't understand, post it.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Don't worry about it. I have learned all my automotive knowledge in the last 5 years, and mostly by trial and error. You screw up, you learn from it, and you move on to the next thing you will screw up. LOL it's a cycle! :naughty:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Wow, when I first read the thread I was thinking "he must have just lubed the sliders" and that your problem was improper bleeding. I'm glad to see you didn't hurt anyone during this.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
theWeezL said:
Im unsure of where you are in TX but I know SM has quite a few members in TX. You might want to see if anyone in your area is willing to spend a little time mentoring you. I would be willing to bet someone here would step up and offer some time.

Maybe someone with a shop, lift, tools, and access to a brake lathe? :stickpoke

Let me know how those pads work out for ya...

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
cuel said:
Maybe someone with a shop, lift, tools, and access to a brake lathe? :stickpoke

Let me know how those pads work out for ya...

Hehe, will do. I would have them on already but shitty autozone gave me a crapped out caliper:thumbsdow but hopefully I'll have everything working great tomorrow.