Newbe

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
Great site has a lot of info. I am converting a 89 MKIII that is a auto nonturbo car to a 5-speed turbo car for my stepson, when and if he gets all the money to do it.

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
LMAO no he has not helped. He is not very mechanically incline. He will go get tools for me, then 10 minutes later he has disappeared. But I have found a donor car that is a 5 speed turbo car, so I am taking parts off that car. He bought a 89 turbo motor and 5 speed trans. I have taken that motor apart and found that the 4 middle pistons where melted and had water in the first and sixth cylinders. The block is at the machine shop and I am almost done stripping the donor car. I excpect this to be about a year project for me.

How do you post pics?

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
cbrpat;1283321 said:
LMAO no he has not helped. He is not very mechanically incline. He will go get tools for me, then 10 minutes later he has disappeared. But I have found a donor car that is a 5 speed turbo car, so I am taking parts off that car. He bought a 89 turbo motor and 5 speed trans. I have taken that motor apart and found that the 4 middle pistons where melted and had water in the first and sixth cylinders. The block is at the machine shop and I am almost done stripping the donor car. I excpect this to be about a year project for me.

How do you post pics?

"how do you post pics" I'm betting he can help there. I bought a 89 for my son in hopes of him learning to work..and appreciating etc. He does the same disappearing act. lol.

if he doesn't know how to post pictures I will be amazed.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
I agree , he would respect the Supra more if he puts effort in it . I built the 1st car I ever owned when I was 15 . a 1978 RS Camaro . After building the engine I never wanted to dog thee piss out of it , because I never wanted to have to re-build the engine again .
I dont have any children , But Having your son there to help would be nice .
Having him WORK earns him bragging rights to his geinus ....
Good luck though , Your doing a good thing any how, by keeping an MKIII on the road

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
Thanks for the advice from all of you. and jugodegolf you were right, he did show me how to post pics. LOL

He wants to learn how to work on his own car, he does read a lot about his MKIII, I will help guide him, and make him get his hands dirty.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
cbrpat;1284327 said:
Thanks for the advice from all of you. and jugodegolf you were right, he did show me how to post pics. LOL

He wants to learn how to work on his own car, he does read a lot about his MKIII, I will help guide him, and make him get his hands dirty.

I would suggest finding someone with a fast mk3 in your area. One ride is usually all it takes to get addicted to BOOST!!! He got to ride in Suprahero's car. By all means be safe though.

I was a na for many years never knew what I was missing till I joined here.:aigo:

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
He has been in fast cars, I have a 61' chevy truck I put a built 350 in it with a T-5 trans from a camaro, posi rear. I also have a Honda CBR600 motorcycle I put a 900cc motor in with nitrous. He loves speed. I am a Ford Checy guy, just getting into imports. So far I like the imports.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
cbrpat;1285015 said:
He has been in fast cars, I have a 61' chevy truck I put a built 350 in it with a T-5 trans from a camaro, posi rear. I also have a Honda CBR600 motorcycle I put a 900cc motor in with nitrous. He loves speed. I am a Ford Checy guy, just getting into imports. So far I like the imports.

Didn't I say fast??? :stickpoke:

jk. that cool. My dad had a 55 chevy, but no mods. That bike must be :aigo:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Welcome! :)

cbrpat;1285487 said:
YA V8 power, that is fast. Sorry I still am a V8 person, but the imports are growing on me.

I actually grew up and was raised on American V8's...
But as George (er, jugodegolf) mentioned, it's all about that first ride. :naughty:

First trip in a 980RWHP Supra is the reason why I'm still here after 6 years.
:biglaugh:

Good luck with everything! Sounds like you've got everything down
for the most part, but as always - Search here or post if you get stumped!

Jeff

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
So far this site has been real helpful. Should get the block back from the machine shop this week, then he can order the pistons and gaskets.

I told him to clean the valve covers, timing gear covers, oil pan and the brackets so he can paint them. Well the valve covers were cleaned that is about it. lol

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
cbrpat;1288532 said:
So far this site has been real helpful. Should get the block back from the machine shop this week, then he can order the pistons and gaskets.

I told him to clean the valve covers, timing gear covers, oil pan and the brackets so he can paint them. Well the valve covers were cleaned that is about it. lol

If you have any trouble with those exhaust studs stipping let me know.:3d_frown: I have some of Aarons/Driftmotions kit leftover.

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
I guess you mean strip them when i am putting the exhaust manafold back on!!
I am going to use new bolts and studs for the exhaust and head. I do not like using heat cycled bolts, so I rather just use new.