New turbo is finally here... (pics)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
89turbo - the part number is 237025 for the turbo. I don't have the part numbers for the oil lines, etc, and I suspect I'm going to manufacture something on the spot, likely tomorrow.

jdub - I've been to the Foggy Dew a couple times. There are better places around the city, though. :)

Tom - thanks, but I have one on the way from jtamulis. Who's customer service, I might add, is fan-freaking-tastic.

Nash - YOU could do such a thing. I'm limited to what I can fab using a drill press, a dremel tool, and 5 minute epoxy. AND I'm in a rush! :D

The UPS guy was after me for duty, taxes, brokerage, and he wanted a little something to take home, too. I live in Canada, which means that when people send me parts via UPS, I get bent over without lube. :(

Poodles - a DDP will bolt up, but I don't know how well it will seal between the two outlets. Worst case I'll have to get a new bar welded on. Total cost is yet to be figured out, but the turbo, shipping, brokerage, etc, has cost me $1400CDN (~$1200USD) so far. I still need to figure out what the oil lines and wastegate actuator are going to cost, but I expect to lay out another $250-300.

Nick - No ball bearings for me. I'm not convinced that it's a good option yet - I think I'll wait for the new foil bearings.

Qwik - that happened on my upgraded CT-26, too. This wastegate flapper is SUPER easy to swing, way easier than my old CT was, even when it was brand new. I guess I can't just grease it, huh? ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
GrimJack said:
jdub - I've been to the Foggy Dew a couple times. There are better places around the city, though. :)

I'm sure...it's attached to the hotel where I stay on over nights there. Not bad...the beer is cold. Passed through Vancouver today in fact ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I asked about the ball bearings because I have heard a few times firsthand about their ball bearing center sections taking a shit prematurely.

I personally would sacrifice a little bit of spool for long life.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Nick M said:
II personally would sacrifice a little bit of spool for long life.
Me too. Mind you, a turbo likely won't have to last more than a few years, the technology currently in development should make it mainstream pretty damn fast.

And then we should be able to buy turbos with virtually lifetime bearings that can produce full boost barely off idle, if we wanted it. :D

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Hows the turbo install coming along Dave? I'm drooling for a spin when yer done!! I'll hafta take a cruise out to Ditchmond and see that sweet unit in person!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well the reson why it was binding was form what i remmber was the rod and braket were all wroung not the flapper door and it whould bind once hot

one of my old ct26 bined when ti got hot

soo all i did was heat the house out pop the pin out shave ti a bit reinstall bango frished never had an issue again the trubo shop in van can do this for you as well

GrimJack said:
89turbo - the part number is 237025 for the turbo. I don't have the part numbers for the oil lines, etc, and I suspect I'm going to manufacture something on the spot, likely tomorrow.

Tom - thanks, but I have one on the way from jtamulis. Who's customer service, I might add, is fan-freaking-tastic.

Nash - YOU could do such a thing. I'm limited to what I can fab using a drill press, a dremel tool, and 5 minute epoxy. AND I'm in a rush! :D

The UPS guy was after me for duty, taxes, brokerage, and he wanted a little something to take home, too. I live in Canada, which means that when people send me parts via UPS, I get bent over without lube. :(

Poodles - a DDP will bolt up, but I don't know how well it will seal between the two outlets. Worst case I'll have to get a new bar welded on. Total cost is yet to be figured out, but the turbo, shipping, brokerage, etc, has cost me $1400CDN (~$1200USD) so far. I still need to figure out what the oil lines and wastegate actuator are going to cost, but I expect to lay out another $250-300.

Nick - No ball bearings for me. I'm not convinced that it's a good option yet - I think I'll wait for the new foil bearings.

Qwik - that happened on my upgraded CT-26, too. This wastegate flapper is SUPER easy to swing, way easier than my old CT was, even when it was brand new. I guess I can't just grease it, huh? ;)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
And she runs! :) Had a few issues after firing it up, which are hopefully all worked out now.

Big thanks to Duane for coming over to help for several hours and get all oiled up. The missus should like that when he gets home! And to his bro Darryl, without whom Duane would be cruising in something other than a Supra. :D

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
kick me next time we meet if bring'N this thread from the dead was a bad idea.

But my upgraded ct26 may be losing it's oil seals.

SO i was curious how your like your turbo after 2 years, does it spool well, how much power have you made, & why?

Any problems?