New turbo, I was owned by Fedex

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
I think this is the appropiate thread.

Lesson one, always ship a turbo with a exhaust housing on it... because no matter what precautions you take, some low paid jackass at fed ex will damage it.

I got my t-61 with water cooled jackets in, very stoke, untill I look close at the box, it has a hole in it, and is beat all to hell, mind you it was shipped only 40 miles tops. Open it up and find two fins on the turbine bent severly. File claim, they pickup package and return it a few days latter. Im waiting for a call, waiting, waiting. Two weeks pass I finally get ahold of the claims person... her statment is "Oh, we found the engine fan was not damaged, so we cant pay your claim" I submit 13 digital pictures, and am still waiting, but I felt I would share my pictures, and see if you can figure out if the "engine fan" is damaged or not..

BTW this turbo is for my 89 Supra fully built with some auto transmission(havent decided for sure). This will carry my car to its 600hp daily setup, and a larger turbo will be for dyno days that we hope to make 1000hp+ on the lowly 7m.

p265626_1.jpg

p265626_2.jpg

p265626_3.jpg

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Yup, DEFFINATLY bent. i work for UPS and packages are just thrown around!

UPS > Fed Ex

If ya shipped it UPS i could help ya out with the claim!

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Is it Fedex's problem it was packaged improperly? Who ever put that in a box unprotected like that is the problem.. Sorry if it is anyone here, but what do you expect? No fragile stickers?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DOH reading is important! ;)

No housing = really stupid!

Even with a Housing they'd find some way to damage it!
(I ship 100's of parcels internationally each year and have learnt to bombproof anything I send)

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Joel W. said:
Is it Fedex's problem it was packaged improperly? Who ever put that in a box unprotected like that is the problem.. Sorry if it is anyone here, but what do you expect? No fragile stickers?

UPS advises us to not use fragile stickers when "we" ship stuff.

50 percent of the UPS people out there are more likley to "drop" a "fragile" box.

This goes for any carrier, unless it was packeged to carriar Spec, they will NOT cover damages.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Each big carrier has a dept set aside to figure out exactly how to damage the most parcels in the least amount of time/effort!

"Fragile" or "Do not Bend" is taken as a challenge!

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
s383mmber1 said:
50 percent of the UPS people out there are more likley to "drop" a "fragile" box.
This goes for any carrier, unless it was packeged to carriar Spec, they will NOT cover damages.

Another reason for me not to use UPS...:icon_conf

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
well not to be an ass but its not all thier fault, we all know how uncarrying these corporate shippers are so why ship it without the exhaust portion which would have kept said damge from occuring? Yea well at least we know for next time.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Its always good to place "FRAGILE" or other warning labels on the package
That way when your package is damaged, and it is the shipping company's fault
you have a better case with their insurance.

When we ship our products out, we always place all the neccessary warning labels. My boss told me most likely the delivery drivers wont give a fuck but
the labels are for the insurance in case your item is damaged.

Plus your package has to be packaged and cushioned well. You have to assume that the drivers will throw it around.

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best" I say.

Cheers,
Roy

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
s383mmber1 said:

A friend (manager) @ UPS told me the same thing. :aigo:

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
the housing was already here at my place. the turbine had three inchs of impact foam, about six inchs of bubble wrap and four inchs of packing peanuts all around the turbo. I don't think it wasn't packaged well, but I will always ship with a housing from now.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Raven97990 said:
the housing was already here at my place. the turbine had three inchs of impact foam, about six inchs of bubble wrap and four inchs of packing peanuts all around the turbo. I don't think it wasn't packaged well, but I will always ship with a housing from now.

did you get insurance with the shipping company?