New Turbo-A in CA

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Hello everybody! MK3 Supra has been my dream car since I was 16, but I never thought I would own a Turbo-A!? Well somehow life brought upon a opportunity to get my dream car and first Supra and it happened to be a 1988 Supra Turbo-A :biggrinki Now if only I can get it smog legal in California :3d_frown: She needs some restoration but still a good looking car. I've had Driftmotion give her a serious tune up to get her running smoothly and did some serious waxing and buffing to bring some life out of the old paint. Here are some pics (don't be fooled! The pics really do a good job of hiding the blemishes and sun damage... She needs some TLC):

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Welcome nice turboA. Hopefully youd be willing to have 3p analyze that ecu for the other memebers

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
What would analyzing my ecu entail? Would I need to pull it out of the car and send it somewhere cuz I wont be up for that. But if it can be done while it's in the car here in CA I would have no problem with it. Why are you guys trying to get the Turbo A analyzed?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Pulling out the ECU takes 15min if that. Analyzing the ecu so we can see if the boards are different, and what type of coding is on board. Basically the idea is a way to reprogram the stock ECU, for those of us especially that want to go to a MAP based ECU setup. The TurboA ecu is the only ECU for the 7M that is factory MAP based aside from the GroupA race cars. Take into account how few turboAs there are its been difficult to get our hands on one.

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
I would be ok with that. Just wouldn't feel comfortable shipping the ecu to get analyzed just in case it got lost in the mail! That would really suck... But yeah if someone is out here in So Cal that can analyze it I would have no problem with it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Wow, it looks beautiful. I know you said it has blemishes that don't show in the pictures, but it looks really good in the pictures. That's really cool if you are willing to help out the community with the ECU thing. How's the interior in it?

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
your maf seems o be missing, must be some silly Turbo-A thing. It's nice to see A Turbo A on the road. I look forward to seeing what become of it.

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Interior is ok. Has the usual wear and tear on the seats. The dash has a couple of cracks from sun damage so that's why I put the carpet on it and currently hunting the web for a replacement. Needs the steering wheel reupholstered and saving up for another momo knob (like $500 from Yahoo Auction) cuz mines faded pretty bad. Just got a quote to reupholster the front and back seats with vinyl leather look alike material. The guy said it would last longer and not crack like leather plus $1000 cheaper!

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
You wouldn't happen to be the guy that just left Okinawa a couple of months ago, would you? If so, I remember seeing your car out a lot just before you PCS'd. Sweet ride man. Welcome to SupraMania!

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Bo0sTADiKT;2012069 said:
You wouldn't happen to be the guy that just left Okinawa a couple of months ago, would you? If so, I remember seeing your car out a lot just before you PCS'd. Sweet ride man. Welcome to SupraMania!

No I was stationed in Atsugi.

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Well at least I know there's another Turbo-A out there from Okinawa. He literally bought that car days before I could get the money for it. You've got a beautiful car man. Hope that you can get that car registered in Cali. You aren't a resident of a different other than Cali?

I was stationed in Cali for almost 10 years and was able to register all my cars in Florida...or is Cali you home of record?

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
I think I saw the other Turbo-A when I went to pick up my car. He lives somewhere in San Diego. I'm trying to find that guys contact info because supposedly he was able to register his car in CA with no problems so I wanna know how he did it. And yes CA is my home of record :(

Bo0sTADiKT;2012079 said:
Well at least I know there's another Turbo-A out there from Okinawa. He literally bought that car days before I could get the money for it. You've got a beautiful car man. Hope that you can get that car registered in Cali. You aren't a resident of a different other than Cali?

I was stationed in Cali for almost 10 years and was able to register all my cars in Florida...or is Cali you home of record?

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Perks of being in the military! They shipped it for me. I asked them how much they usually pay to ship a car and they told me everything adds up to around $30,000! Granted the military pays more for everything I'm sure it costs much less if you do it another way. I was told you can ship a car for about $7000 with the roll on roll off method where it doesn't get a container and is exposed to the elements during transport. Thanks for all the car-pliments guys! Hopefully I figure this registration debacle out soon so I can enjoy really enjoy her.

mcammarn;2012086 said:
Welcome, and how'd you get the car here stateside, what did you pay for car, shipping, fees?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
What would analyzing my ecu entail? Would I need to pull it out of the car and send it somewhere cuz I wont be up for that. But if it can be done while it's in the car here in CA I would have no problem with it.

It requires desolderig the chip from the board, and reading out the stored code, then soldering it back in. From your posts I would say you're not up for that any time soon. I would be a little nervous too, just because if something did go wrong I would have a hard time finding a replacement.

If you happen to have the glove box out, please write down the ECU part number. Maybe we can find one for sale somewhere. (89661-14xxx)

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
3p141592654;2012163 said:
It requires desolderig the chip from the board, and reading out the stored code, then soldering it back in. From your posts I would say you're not up for that any time soon. I would be a little nervous too, just because if something did go wrong I would have a hard time finding a replacement.

If you happen to have the glove box out, please write down the ECU part number. Maybe we can find one for sale somewhere. (89661-14xxx)

89661-14360

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Ooooo yeah the sound of desoldering and soldering just makes me cringe! I wouldn't be up for that just in case something went wrong I would be SOL. That sh*t sounds scary!!

3p141592654;2012163 said: