new to cars

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
Hi well i am new to this whole car stuff and i really want to get to know supras alot better. i currently have an MKIII and it doesnt run. the header is blown and from the sounds of it thats happens alot. my brothers and dad know a ton about cars and are going to help me restore it. i only have 2 months to get this done, but i need to know how hard is it to do an engine swap and please dont hate on me too much. at least im trying right? the car is in good shape just needs some bondo work that is going to be done by a body shop. then its all up to me. any help/ advice would be amazing. thanks

suprachick22 :icon_bigg

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
i'll say it nicely now before you get bashed about this, but search the forums and you'll find almost everything you need to know. :) When you say "header", i think you may mean "head" as in cylinder head. ...and yes, sometimes the head gasket (the gasket between the engine block and the cylinder head)...blows. mine blew at the rear cylinder, #6. Determine if swapping an engine is the best move for you. You may not need to swap the entire engine, but i dont know the condition of the rest of the engine. i did my first head gasket change in a weekend on my NA. If swapping an engine is what you want (or need) to do, there's plenty of info on this site. get the TSRM (toyota service repair manual). you can buy it or download the needed info off the web or find info on this site.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
look at the stickeys in the tech section. swaps are pretty straight forward just get the parts for your year car for certain things. is it turbo or n/a

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Also make sure your getting a good engine to swap in, just because its from a shop doesnt make it good. The cars are old so naturally and stock engines will have there problems. For example Im on my second swapped JDM motor because the first one took a shit on me (blew a rod out the side of the block). Better have someone who knows what there doing at least get the engine picked out.

SupraLover

Apr 13, 2005
Las Vega$
No hating for the Newbie, only love...anyway, first off, a header is a aftermarket exhaust manifold, so I doubt thats what your talking about when you refered that a lot of Supras have this problem, you probably meant a blown Head Gasket, which is of course a common problem with supras. To do a head gasket, non-metal (OEM), with a extra resurfaced head lying around, takes about 10 hours. If you dont have an extra head, you will have to pull your head off and have it inspected/resurfaced which will add 2-3 extra days. As to pulling a motor, and doing a engine swap, pull the engine with the transmission, it makes it easier in the long run, your looking at about two days taking your time, but thats with the same size/type of engine, 1jze and 2jze's will take much longer due to the wiring harness and electronics modifications, search the forum to find out info on this, and welcome to the community

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
thank you guys so much. that is alot of help. i will learn this site very well and once i get to where the car is i can take pics. like i siad new to the car thing but i love to drive fast and i want to get to know cars better and not be such a dumb ass girl like some of us out there lol. as the car progresses i will keep updated

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
hvyman;1379684 said:
look at the stickeys in the tech section. swaps are pretty straight forward just get the parts for your year car for certain things. is it turbo or n/a

no turbo but i think i want one still undecided. is it worth putting a turbo engine in?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
funky_monkey58;1379691 said:
Posting pictures of both the car and yourself will help you in getting help from the members on here.

Just putting it out there.

empera;1379694 said:

lhump.gif

Welcome to SM SChick :D

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
suprachick22;1379840 said:
thank you guys so much. that is alot of help. i will learn this site very well and once i get to where the car is i can take pics. like i siad new to the car thing but i love to drive fast and i want to get to know cars better and not be such a dumb ass girl like some of us out there lol. as the car progresses i will keep updated
Don't mind those guys above, they're harmless.:)
Post some pics of your car. We can help you make it go fast.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
buckshotglass;1379949 said:
Don't mind those guys above, they're harmless.:)
Post some pics of your car and yourself. We can help you make it go fast.

fixed :sarcasm:

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
ill hafta say welcome! also something nobody bothered to mention is the body work, you said something of bondo, depending on where it is on the car you can get replacement panels supereasy nowadays, just putting it out there for you lol, but anywho, i own both, and in my opinion the na motor is prolly plenty enough for you to begin with, but yea a turbo car is amazingly fun, so really its all about personality, have fun and enjoy one of the most amazing pieces of machinery to ever leave the assembly line,

but yea some details or maybe a pic would be nice, maybe a year and color and whatnot?

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
giterboosted;1379993 said:
ill hafta say welcome! also something nobody bothered to mention is the body work, you said something of bondo, depending on where it is on the car you can get replacement panels supereasy nowadays, just putting it out there for you lol, but anywho, i own both, and in my opinion the na motor is prolly plenty enough for you to begin with, but yea a turbo car is amazingly fun, so really its all about personality, have fun and enjoy one of the most amazing pieces of machinery to ever leave the assembly line,

but yea some details or maybe a pic would be nice, maybe a year and color and whatnot?

i totally plan on adding pics but i cant until sat. sad to say. and thank you for that. im not sure what kind of motor im putting in just yet but i will soon. its a 1988 Black mkiii. the doors need some love along with the roof. past owner tried to do patch work himself and had no clue what he was doing.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Just so we know you aren't a computer automated virus posting under a new user name, we'll need to see pictures of YOU, not your car. Sorry, we don't make the rules, we just try to uphold them. Thanks and have a good day.............unless you're a virus, in which case you will be terminated.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
As a fellow car chick, welcome! I'm not so much into Supras, but my husband is....you'll see him around here a lot, his SN is Doward

And BTW - the turbo'd Supras are MUCH more fun :)