New stock internal dyno record?

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
X-man;1024072 said:
The 3000 GT ignitor is a cheap alternative for a 3 channel ignitor. The stock ignitor is a multiplexing unit that can develope a skip at certain rpm and load points with the AEM.

I was hoping you would say that, lol So it does get rid of the famous 3K (+30 ign) miss! that's a great tip. Is the conversion pretty straight forward? is it just a matter of adjusting the corresponding AEM wizard? among other things? I'm guessing like the Supra TT, a DLI is recommended? or is it because of your power level?

sorry about all the questions, you are now (probably was before) on my 7M guru list :evil2:

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
There is a mag sensitivety option setting in the AEM that can also help with this.

My wiring on the ignitor was alittle creative because I made it plug and play. Using this ignitor requires usage of an MSD tach adaptor to run the tach. They cost about 40.00 to 50.00. The ignitor can be bought new through most autoparts stores from 100.00 to 150.00. I got my connectors and ignitor from a 95 3000 GT in the junkyard for 25.00.

The sequential injector wiring involves cutting the ground wire from the ecu to the injector on injectors 4,5, and 6 and running them to the option plug on the AEM box to injector outputs for 7,8, and 9. This is on the 30-1110 box. Then changing settings in the ecu. The injector phasing is what sets up the firing order which is 153624. It is easy to walk someone through this on the phone. My number is 1-540-616-9198.

Sean

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Sean - did you go back in and adjust the injector firing timing? If so, how did you determine where you wanted it?

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
So let me ask this. Do you really even need an ignitor? The ecu has three ignition output channels which run to the 3000gt ignitor then out to the coils. I know the MKIV guys that run a CDI, some of them don't use an ignitor, they just have to shunt a pin on the AEM. Would anything stop you from doing the same?

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
p5150;1024245 said:
Sean - did you go back in and adjust the injector firing timing? If so, how did you determine where you wanted it?

I tried two different settings. I tried just starting at 0 with the injector phasing and it ran okay but i never put much boost to it. I then tried the phasing for a MKIV TT. The injector phasing that worked the best was the same as the MKIV twin turbo. You also have to change your fuel teeth and spark teeth under cam and crank options to 24 also.

Sean

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
joliroger4;1024449 said:
So let me ask this. Do you really even need an ignitor? The ecu has three ignition output channels which run to the 3000gt ignitor then out to the coils. I know the MKIV guys that run a CDI, some of them don't use an ignitor, they just have to shunt a pin on the AEM. Would anything stop you from doing the same?

Yes, the signal is not strong enough to fire a coil let alone split and fire 2 for waste spark. The LS1 coils have built in ignitors but have been proven to be unreliable at over 600 rwhp or the boost pressure that it takes to make this. I will eventually go to a coil on plug design with either the MKIV TT coils or I might try the COP 2005 to 2007 Mustang coils MSD makes. You can also run a early 90's 300ZX ignitor or a MKIV ignitor which are both 6 channel ignitors, you just have to tie the inputs for cylinders 1 and 6, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 together that feed the ignitor. This is basically what the MKIV TT box (30-1100) does anyways. You can then have 6 output wires. I will branch or split my output wires to two coils when I install the COP's.
Bottom line is the MKIV ignitor and the MKIII ignitors are around 400.00. The Nissan COP 4 channel or a 6 channel are around 150.00 to 175.00 new and the 3000 GT ignitors which are used on several wase spark Mitsubishi vehicles are around 100.00. It is better to find a setup in a junkyard so you can get the connectors you need plus alittle wire to splice in and hook things up. Plus I believe the ignitors on the Nissans are made by Mitsubishi anyways.

Sean

sao1

Feb 15, 2006
Santa Rosa, CA
I am sorry for a little bit late, but BIG CONGRATS to you Sean!

What an amazing feat!!!!!!

This is the coolest news of the 2008 year!!

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Little late to the party too, but awesome work!!

I'll will be in touch when I return to SW Virginia, I went to VT and didn't realize there was anywhere to dyno nearby...

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
very impressive man... But bigger turbo!!? damn looking for more lag then!?

You still amaze me man... just wow.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
X-man;1049308 said:
Thanks Mike. Long time no speak. You still drag racing?

Sean

Oh yes!!! Thats two of my cars going to war in NY:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

With so many its hard to keep track of what.

Nice job with your car!!! Keep it up

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Mike Morris;1050598 said:
Oh yes!!! Thats two of my cars going to war in NY:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

With so many its hard to keep track of what.

Nice job with your car!!! Keep it up

I took mine to the track and let a buddy drive it. On street tires and 18 psi or 520 rwhp it ran 8.50's @ 91 mph in the 1/8 mile spinning the tires when boost came up.

Sean

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
X-man;1051365 said:
I took mine to the track and let a buddy drive it. On street tires and 18 psi or 520 rwhp it ran 8.50's @ 91 mph in the 1/8 mile spinning the tires when boost came up.

Sean

I had drag radials on it for awhile and ran a best of an 8.08 @ 94 mph but that was with the SP67 on it.

Sean