New 7MGTE Swap from japan

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
Hey all. I have an 87 N/a Auto tranny supra... bascially the grannymobile. I blew a headgasket and im looking into swapping the motor and tranny to a turbo 5speed 7m. Reason being is i have been told since i have milkshake in the oil the engine is likely to produce rodknock soon. So.... Few things i wanted to know

1) I have a link. check it out pls and tell me what yout think. They have a guarentee on the engines for 30 days and they are tested before they are shipped. So i know it wont give me trouble when i first install it.

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index....facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

2) I called and they said it would be legal to put in a turbo supra but not my N/a. I believe if i register my car as a "Kit car" it is legal but i pay a lot more in registration. Do you think it would pass smog since its a japanese engine? By the way they come with 20-30K miles on them.

3)Other than resurfacing head and block and replacing bolts and a metal head gasket what else should i do before the engine goes in to prevent any trouble down the road?

4) I understand this part is very vague but From your personal experiences what does an engine swap usually cost?

if there is anything else that i have missed that might inform me of something about the swap that i dont know please dont hessitate to mention it. Thanks in advanced i really appreciate your guys feedback.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
1) I have heard good and bad about that company.

2) You will fail smog solely on your lack of an EGR system. In addition, yeah alot of them have "low miles" but the engines are rode hard and put away wet.

3) I would highly recommend a full rebuild. JDM 7Ms had the same head gasket failure rate as the rest of the world. Build the motor now, so you don't have to do it later....and you will have to do it later.

4) If you understand the fundamentals of mechanic work, you and a buddy or two can do it. You need to make sure you source all of the appropriate swap parts (JDM ECU, anything else that does not come with the swap, etc) before you even think about the work.

There is alot involved, more than I care to type (i am lazy), so i'll let some of the experts chime in.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
jdm motors just come with block off plates. just swap the egr, oil pressure sensor, and replace the bearings and gaskets and you'll be fine.

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
So whats my best way to go? I want a 7m turbo 5 speed swapped into mine. Cause my motor is a nonturbo automatic so i have no plan on doing anything with it.

Also, if i did swap the motor. is it a lot of work putting an egr in to make it pass smog? or would it still not pass after that?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
egr is like 2 nuts 2 bolts 1 vsv 1 vacuum diaphragm. if your capable of swaping a motor you could figure out how to take egr off one engine and put it on the other.

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
hvyman;1334739 said:
egr is like 2 nuts 2 bolts 1 vsv 1 vacuum diaphragm. if your capable of swaping a motor you could figure out how to take egr off one engine and put it on the other.

The problem is i dont and i cant. Im 19 years old and i just started getting into mechanics a few months ago. Ill have my dads friend do the swap for me but i will be watching closely learning as much as i can.

Jokervrs

Mar 20, 2009
California
Zumtizzle;1334738 said:
Ummmm.

The turbo motor was an option of the Supra.

So all they do is chose turbo when they smog.

Even if its a nonturbo body? i was told in california i am going to have to register the car as a KIT car just to have that motor in it... : /