need some help

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
ok guys i need some help, im just finishing up my na-t project and i am running into some problems at the end. the idling is off, timing has be set to 30 degrees btdc inorder to run smooth. but when i put it to 10 degrees btdc it idles weird. i have included some vids of the motor running and some of my spark plug, (which was all black) so guys i guess my question is why does it idle so bad.
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/disturbdgt/supra/?action=view&current=073.flv
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/disturbdgt/supra/?action=view&current=072.flv
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/disturbdgt/supra/?action=view&current=070.flv
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/disturbdgt/supra/?action=view&current=069-1.flv

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
oh and also if u listen to one of the vids, u can hear some knocking as soon as the engine rpms begin to drop really low. can anyone tell me what this may be.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Do you have a jumper in the diagnostic box while you're checking the timing? You're supposed to. TE1 and E1

The "knocking noise" in vid 2 is the motor dieseling. It's attempting to die. Kinda like spark knock.

Timing for the belt gets set like this:
View attachment 19067

CPS is set with the timing marks set as above. It should look like this:

View attachment 19068

Check those first.

Last edited:

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
thanks a lot cuel for the help, i do have the diagnostic box jumped, and the cps is aligned as it says in the tsrm, where the notch mark on the cps adn the whole on the shaft are aligned with one another. and also the notch marks on the cam gears are aligned with the marks also. and it only sounds like it wants to die when i have teh timing set to 10 degrees btdc. and also will the knocking hurt my motor at all. and again thanks for all your help cuel.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Well, lets just say knocking is never good...

Just out of curiosity, how does it run with the timing light off, and the jumper out? How long have you had the car running since you hooked the battery up? Any vacuum leaks? AFPR? O2 sensor hooked up?

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
id say total combined time i had the car running for about 30 mins or so. but as far i can tell there arent any vaccum leaks, i dont have an adjustable fpr, nor do i have a wideband so i cant tell my a/f ratio. and my o2 sensor is the wrong one i have to hook up my old one b/c the autopart store gave me the wrong one. and also i checked my codes and the only code i come up with is code 52 which is knock sensor, and this is b/c im assuming b/c i only have one knock sensor on the ge block and the gte cpu expects 2.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
So there's no O2 in it? That could cause it to run rich, which would be fouling the plugs.

You do have the cam pins in the center holes on both cams and gears, correct? Timing issue is weird. It really seems like something is out of alignment...

How does it idle without the jumper and timing light? Does the isc valve work correctly?

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
well i havent tried to run it without the jumper not jumped yet, and im pretty sure that the cam and cam gears are right b/c the motor i am using for my project is my old motor out of my wrecked 86.5 and it was running right b4 and everything was aligned correctly, so i guess the cps is off as u say it is. as for the isc i'll have to double check on that one.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
As long as they're turbo afm's, sure.
Have you taken the cover off the cps and compared it to the pic I posted with the cam and crank marks set?

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
ok so this weekend i went and worked on the supra somemore, but the thing is its stil not idling right. i matched the crankshaft mark to teh mark on the block, the cam gear marks with the timing cover mark, and the cps as shown in the pic that cuel posted. i even hooked up the o2 sensor back up and switched afms out also, and even jumped E1 adn TE1. i also unjumped the terminals and tried to start it like that.
so i was playing around a little bit and unhooked the intercooler piping going to the throttle body and then tried everything again, and it idled normal and everything and timing was set to 10 degrees btdc. but when i hooked the piping back up it idled like crap.
the only code i am getting is 11 which is ecu ground. so if anyone has anymore input please help me, i need to get this car back on the road.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Based on that description it still sounds like a bad AFM. As far as 11 being the only code since it suppresses all other codes that's no surprise. Until you fix it you won't be able to see any that may be hiding behind it.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
then thing is i tried 2 different afm's, but i still got one more i can try. so ill try that. so once i get a working afm i should be able to adjust my timing right.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Beats me. It's kinda hard to troubleshoot something like this over the Net other than to say I can't understand why you'd expect the engine to run right with faulty ECU power. Yet you're focused on the AFM and timing. Go figure...

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
jetjock i really appreciate ur help, so how can i make sure the ecu is properly grounded or is it that code 11 means my ecu is shot