Need help on deciding my future plans

Aristo 2JZ or my current GE

• Total voters

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You can get the rebuild kit for your car from IPT, but they're expensive. I just bought one for Vonda's car and it was $612.00, plus another six hundred dollars for them to rebuild the valve body, and another four hundred dollars for the transmission place to rebuild it. When it's done though, it'll be one hell of a strong transmission..............hopefully.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I voted option 1, since wiring is not that big a deal and you'd get ab etter result. BPU would be fun for a bit then you could upgrade but at least you don't have to convert he manifold, or head or any of that crap.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I voted option 2. Thicker hg (just a stock GTE HG will work fine) and single and go fast. I'd also say just get an R154 until you can afford a V160. Driftmotion can make a shifter extension so it'll work just right, they did it for Element not too long ago.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
TopNotch2JZ;1025441 said:
Another alternative you might want to look into is doing the r154 swap. More expensive than the w58, but can hold a lot more horsepower, and it's definately cheaper than the v160 swap! Plus with all these mkiii people that you probably know, you could snag one for cheap, then it might not even cost more than the w58! You gotta have a 1JZ bellhousing though!

+1, if your gonna do it, I would spend the extra $$ on the r154 over the w58 for that little bit extra peace of mind.

I'm looking forward to your build! NA-T's are pretty awesome

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Well, I have the money to spend (about $3000) in my account. I just need to order. This is what I am probably going to buy. I've read a lot of great reviews on it on ClubNA-T.com. http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=2037

Now I just have to get all the small odds and ends. This is what else I'm going to get...

Water pump
Fuel pump
1.3mm Headgasket and complete kit http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=3179
Timing belt and idler pulley
Electronic boost controller/turbo timer http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=4817
HKS Hi-Power exhaust
2.5'' Intercooler piping kit
Downpipe
Wideband
Toyota 4 Runner Distributor
Plugs/wires
Waterpump
ARP head studs
SAFC
Injectors

Now, I just have to decide on the tranny. I'd really like to do the R154. I'm just looking at what kind of money I want to spend. I actually have $6000 total to spend. But, I have to throw down a couple grand on my CBR to get it within range to sell it.

Oh the decision, the decisions.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Do yourself a favor, buy 98mkivs turbo kit and use the turbo that you have. Then get the injectors, HG, ARPS and piggyback.

BTW, I know someone with a real good condition r154 :) Shoot me a pm.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I just sent 98mkiv the money this morning for his Turbo kit, IC piping kit, Electronic boost controller/turbo timer, and his 1.3mm HG kit.

How much for the R154 that you know of?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I will b happy to say, not much. 250 and it is yours, picked up. Depending on how far into NJ you are, I am willing to drive it to you for the cost of gas. No grinds, ~120k on it and it is the smoothing shifting r154 I have felt. We can negotiate a little on price though, but it will probably be ~300 dropped off in the E-Town area.

Blk96SupraTT

Feb 7, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I know this is probably too late since you probably already made up your mind and alrite got the parts. But heres my 2 cents anyways.

Option 1 is not gonna happen. Parts alone will cost you more then $3K before any labor and anything else.

Option 2 is your option that you have chosen and looks to be the most bang for the buck.

As for you R154 tranny, i hope your getting one out of a Soarer and not a MKIII. Reason being the position of the shifter on the 2 trannies. The one from the MKIII sits more upfront and from what i hear will not work on a MKIV. As where the one from the Soarer will fit in the MKIV alot better.

supramanocnsd

Mar 15, 2008
Oceanside Cali SD baby
Blk96SupraTT;1036868 said:
I know this is probably too late since you probably already made up your mind and alrite got the parts. But heres my 2 cents anyways.

Option 1 is not gonna happen. Parts alone will cost you more then $3K before any labor and anything else.

Option 2 is your option that you have chosen and looks to be the most bang for the buck.

As for you R154 tranny, i hope your getting one out of a Soarer and not a MKIII. Reason being the position of the shifter on the 2 trannies. The one from the MKIII sits more upfront and from what i hear will not work on a MKIV. As where the one from the Soarer will fit in the MKIV alot better.

hmm I did not know that about the r154... then again I dont work with them... but great info for those on here doing this... I think it looks like he is going NA T