Need help on deciding my future plans

Aristo 2JZ or my current GE

• Total voters

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
1. Buy an Aristo 2JZ and have Dr Tweak do the wiring harness and go BPU for now.

2. Use my 2jzge that is already in the car and do like hotscennesy or p5150 is doing with a big single, piggyback and what not.

I am have about 3 grand to spend. I'm more leaning towards option 1.

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
It's gotta be GE plus a big single. First thing you gotta do though is a thicker headgasket. Thats all you have to do to the Motor. I know a couple guys that have made over 700whp with just a headgasket in the GE motor.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Serious? It would probably be cheaper and yield more HP to do the NA-T huh? Do I keep the distributor and everything else? I'm only looking for about 400whp for now.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
My concern with the Aristo engines is the same as all used engines... unless you break it open, inspect it, and likely replace a bunch of bits, you are putting someone else's problems into your car. And if you're going to break it open and rebuild it, why not start with the one you have now?

How well would you treat an engine that you KNOW you are going to throw away before it hits 60k miles? Not very well, I'm willing to bet.

I've lost track of the number of engines I've seen go straight from a JDM importer into a car over here, that were just plain busted.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I think I'm going to do NA-T. Thanks for your words of wisdom Dave. It is now time to order stuff. What turbo do you guys think I should go for? I have a Turbonetics 57-trim/.63ar that I can get rebuilt. I'm also thinking the Masterpower T70. I'm hearing good things from them.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I'd say it is pretty good. I'm pretty much positive I'm going NA-T. I just have to wait for the bank check to clear for selling my MKIII. Then it's time to order stuff.

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
The biggest downfall on all MKIV NA-T's is the transmissions. If you are auto you are only good for about 320 hp and the 5-speeds are truely hit and miss with most blowing at about 4-450hp while I have seen a couple go 600+. I went ahead and got the 6-speed V160 though for when I got NA-T just so I don't gotta worry. LOL.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I wish I had the money to buy the V160. How would I be able to make the tranny hold more than 320hp? Maybe I'll just get the w58 and ditch the auto tranny. I would just need to get the tranny, master cylinder, clutch pedal, and front drive shaft right? And the clutch and flywheel of course.

TopNotch2JZ

Restoration bliss
Dec 16, 2007
Corner, Alabama
Sadly, I think there is just no hope for the auto tranny unless you send it somewhere to have it built. Like I said with the w58's, it's kind of hit or miss with them. I know a guy that broke 2 @ 440whp, and others that have broken them with less, and another guy that said he made over 700 with his. His is reputable too. It finally did give out on him too though, but it lasted wayyy longer than anyone else's. It's all about how you shift though. You pretty much nailed the swap down, also get a new slave cylinder, go ahead and replace the line from the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder with a SS braided one since it's only like $45. You can definately find w58's for only a couple hundred dollars though.

Another alternative you might want to look into is doing the r154 swap. More expensive than the w58, but can hold a lot more horsepower, and it's definately cheaper than the v160 swap! Plus with all these mkiii people that you probably know, you could snag one for cheap, then it might not even cost more than the w58! You gotta have a 1JZ bellhousing though!