Need help converting 88 to 89 look

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
I need help because I really like how the 89 looks compared to the 88 and I just wanted to know what would I have to do to make my 88 Supra look exactly like an 89? If I were to change the front bumper and tail lights would it be an easy job or would they fit perfectly? Also I want to know anything else that is different about the two models even if its the engine specs or weight of the car. :1zhelp:

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
lol well that all comes down to opinion. I just really like how the 89+ looks compared to the other models and I do know most people like the pre 89 so be kind like george wen ur voicing ur opinion and dont just start yelling at me

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
front bumper, front turn signals, nose piece, side mouldings spoiler mirrors, tail lights.. interior is a bit different too but i'm assuming you mean just the exterior.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
George said:
but the 87 looks the best:icon_bigg
l

Pretty universally accepted the 1987-88 front looks best. It has more of a classic "sports" look, and it is the original design. They should have stayed with it.

Don't cry post 88 owners, deep down you know I'm right!:rant2:

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
for the exterior, you have the trim, the mirrors, the header panel (in some cases), bumper, foglights, taillights, and spoiler (if turbo)...

on the inside, it's the speaker pods, steering wheel, gauge cluster, stereo, climate control, seats, patterns on the fabric, and rear seatbelts...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
suprabad said:
l

Pretty universally accepted the 1987-88 front looks best. It has more of a classic "sports" look, and it is the original design. They should have stayed with it.

Don't cry post 88 owners, deep down you know I'm right!:rant2:

Keep telling yourself that. :)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
RazoE said:
for the exterior, you have the trim, the mirrors, the header panel (in some cases), bumper, foglights, taillights, and spoiler (if turbo)...

on the inside, it's the speaker pods, steering wheel, gauge cluster, stereo, climate control, seats, patterns on the fabric, and rear seatbelts...

There's a few other odds and ends in the interior, but that's most of it.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
oh i never knew they were actually different on the inside. well i really just want to change the front bumper and tail lights so that the car looks like an 89+ model. so can anyone give me any help or advice on what parts I need in order to do this?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I tend to agree with the pre-89 being the better look... for the front end. Look at the sides and rear and there is a body line that is followed to the front on the pre-89's, while the 89+ ignores it...

it's minor, but it's there when looking from the side. Now the taillights? Should have beent eh 89+ style all along IMHO (same with the wing)

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
My Blue 88 Hardtop - I get from everyone all the time, "I love the way wingless 89+'s look"....I smile. :)

Tails - Drill two holes for the tails to fit in place. Get new seals so you don't have leaky-leaky all inside your hatch.

Front Bumper - You can get away with a direct swap...(Like I did), but if you do it 100% correctly, you'll have to actually get, basically, the brackets so that the highest center part of your bumper comes right up to your nose...as opposed to being a bit droopy.

Mirrors - Well...Swap them. /end.

Interior - Climate control design is different on 89+ (doesn't have the issues with peeling off horribly on the buttons like pre89's do).

Aaaand, those are the biggest visual differences.

Engine differences....though very little, you can SEARCH for that information. I'm not *that* nice of a guy. ;)

-Jeff

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
lol well aryte thanks for all the help. Thats basically all the help I needed. If anyone wants to add anything to that please do cuz i wanna no evrything i need to before i start this

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Poodles said:
I tend to agree with the pre-89 being the better look... for the front end. Look at the sides and rear and there is a body line that is followed to the front on the pre-89's, while the 89+ ignores it...

it's minor, but it's there when looking from the side. Now the taillights? Should have beent eh 89+ style all along IMHO (same with the wing)
pre-89 also totally ignores the lines of the hood and nose panel and I hate that... :)

It's all preference...

I wasn't satisfied with either, so I used black turn signal covers on a black car to make the front end look solid with no gap between the bumper and hood. :)