NA>T SWAP!?

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
Hi im just kind of asking around about a na to turbo swap. i have a supra shell that was once non turbo but i wanna do a turbo conversion. to be specific i want to do a 7mge to 7mgte conv. i was gon do a simple piggy back swap but then i realized that i might be running just a little to rich. so if any one has any ideas advice and info please let me know i have some questions.

Ok well here is the situation.

I have a originally NA MKIII supra, and i would really like to do a complete turbo swap.

This is the first time ive ever done a full conversion swapn so its still kind of new to me.

Ive always done a piggy back and worked with hondas so this full toyota swap is very new to me.

CAN some ONE HELP WITH the WIRING. i dont have much money but i can pay you as much as i can if any one can help id greatly appreciate it.

well i just have a couple of questions:

how long would it take to do this process?

what items or parts will i need to complete this?

and is it hard?

any other info and input would be really great please thanks for every ones consideration.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
where are you located, out of curiosity...

and go to doc. jonez's site. as abustiffy said. it's extremely helpful.

to answer your question quickly about the wiring- get an engine harness that the ECU side of the connectors color matches the color of the connectors in the chassis of your car. (gray or yellow) if you're 87-89.4, you'll need a harness with yellow connectors. if you're 89.5-92, you'll need a harness with gray connectors.

they are NOT interchangable. you can always splice on a few connectors (4 at most) if they're different on the engine side, and they're all 1 wire connectors. (if you're pre 89.4 then you'll also need an external HAC sensor)

-shaeff

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
front clip is what u are going to want to get, but if u cant get one, get one with the tranny, the NA w58 will only hold so much, once u start to mod the T engine the W58 isnt going to last long unless u baby the hell out of it.
ur going to need pretty much everything from the T engine/electronics.
GL and GOOGLE and Doc Js site is useful

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
On my NA-T,
I had a donor T and just took all the parts off it and put it on my rebuilt long block. I think its the easiest way to do it. Although I didn't get the R154 tranny. I still have the W58.
If you have some money, try getting a new wiring harness.
I didn't, and regret it now. After time, you end up replacing the sensors and stuff. The connectors on the wiring harness gets brittle and break. (Although its easy to run the brittle and stiff old wire harness because all the bends are already in the harness so you end up just laying the wires back in place.)

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
thanks thats really helping ok now i only have concerns about wiring and so forth. i have a later model 89 i think i dont know so which ecus do i use and wat harness??

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
shaeff said:
where are you located, out of curiosity...

and go to doc. jonez's site. as abustiffy said. it's extremely helpful.

to answer your question quickly about the wiring- get an engine harness that the ECU side of the connectors color matches the color of the connectors in the chassis of your car. (gray or yellow) if you're 87-89.4, you'll need a harness with yellow connectors. if you're 89.5-92, you'll need a harness with gray connectors.

they are NOT interchangable. you can always splice on a few connectors (4 at most) if they're different on the engine side, and they're all 1 wire connectors. (if you're pre 89.4 then you'll also need an external HAC sensor)

-shaeff

The 89's a little more complicated than that. I have an early 89 and I've done a ge/gte conversion. ALL 89's use the 89+ ECU with internal HAC (grey plugs). All 89's use the 89+ engine sensors (coolant temp, etc). The difference with the early 89 harness is that it follows the same body wiring as the 88's. So imagine an 88 harness wired for an 89+ ECU. Early 89 harnesses are unique and non-interchangable with any others. 86.5-88 all use the same harness and ECU (yellow plugs). Early 89 is unique but uses grey plugs and 89+ ECU. Late 89+ are interchangable.

Get the right engine wiring harness and then the wiring is all plug and play. Go ahead and do the knock sensor rewire.....you'll need some thinnet cable - like thisThere shouldn't be any real splicing unless you're putting in some computers and controllers and what-not. If you are, I would suggest getting a fields harness. As far as I know the 86.5-88's are discontinued but you can find an 89+ here

Send me a PM or post back here if you have more questions

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Squid699 said:
The 89's a little more complicated than that. I have an early 89 and I've done a ge/gte conversion. ALL 89's use the 89+ ECU with internal HAC (grey plugs). All 89's use the 89+ engine sensors (coolant temp, etc). The difference with the early 89 harness is that it follows the same body wiring as the 88's. So imagine an 88 harness wired for an 89+ ECU. Early 89 harnesses are unique and non-interchangable with any others. 86.5-88 all use the same harness and ECU (yellow plugs). Early 89 is unique but uses grey plugs and 89+ ECU. Late 89+ are interchangable.

Get the right engine wiring harness and then the wiring is all plug and play. Go ahead and do the knock sensor rewire.....you'll need some thinnet cable - like thisThere shouldn't be any real splicing unless you're putting in some computers and controllers and what-not. If you are, I would suggest getting a fields harness. As far as I know the 86.5-88's are discontinued but you can find an 89+ here

Send me a PM or post back here if you have more questions

damn '89s!

-shaeff

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
I heard something about the throttle linkage being different. Is that the case? The PS resevoir is also WAY different. Can I use my existing one, or is it too big of a pain? It's little stuff at this point that I need to clarify.
Thanks all!

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
well yeah.....the throttle linkage for the NA engine and the turbo are completely different, but if you get a complete turbo engine you'll have that. same for the PS resevoir. i've heard of people using the NA rez, but it's easier just to use the turbo one. the throttle cable is also different.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
yeah it's cheap enough, might as well just get it from 'yota. again a good parts car for the conversion should have it - just make sure it's decent. i replaced mine anyway

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Cheapest way to go is keep all mechanical stuff NA and only swap the electronics. All you will need is:
turbo harness
ecu and hac sensor (87-88)
CPS
Ignitor
Coilpacks
Injectors
turbocharger and supporting parts