My Supra will no longer be a rental!

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
BorHor;889932 said:
Okay I can only think of 20 people right now.. but i am sure there are atleast 10 more people. I even let people drift my car at the track!

I'm not that brave.....but in the end it's just a car. I'll let my family and close (trusted) friends drive my car, but there's no way I'd ever let a stranger behind the wheel.

Dec 20, 2007
El Sobrante, CA
Why the hell would you rent a supra in the first place?! Even if I did let someone drive my car, I'd have like a written note sayin they will pay for anything messed up when they return the car. I'd be pissed if I was you. I gota admit though. You got more heart and balls then me. My momma doesn't even drive my supra!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
AF1JZ;889717 said:
Wow, you are way braver that me. I don't even let my wife drive my supra. Although, I'm going to let Miguel (supraholics) test drive it. With me in the car of course :D

Is this to see if he wants a 1jz or not?

I honestly don't think my wife has driven my car but one time. I love her to death, but somethings aren't meant to be shared.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
2 things you should never loan out to anyone. Your woman or your ride. You never know when they will throw a rod in either of them.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Yeah I too will never let anyone else drive my cars. At work I let a couple borrow my Tacoma to drive a TV home they bought from us. When it came back the CEL was on. Turned out to be the O2 sensor went bad. But it never gave me a problem until that day.

Last summer I got into some poison ivy and I am deathyl allergic to it. I started swelling up until one eye was completely closed and the other one was going too. I drove myself to the ER in my MR2. My mom came there and drove my car home because she didnt want me driving. She about killed my clutch. Never again!! LOL

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Ok ok, I did feel like kicking myself in the nuts after I thought about it.

I checked it out today and looks like I won't be installing the 289 out of the dude's Falcon Sprint after all. I believe it was just an untimely coincidence.

Attached some wire to some pliers and grounded it (best way I found to pull plug wires without getting bit) and found out the #6 was definately missing and #5 & 2 seemed to be a little bit too. The "plug valley" between the cam covers was almost full of oil. After cleaning it out (interesting task, you'd laugh if you saw me so I won't even say) I checked the plugs and they seemed cool, little carbon but nothing major. Ran it with the boots pulled back and I could see the spark jumping to the head. Oh yeah, the #5 plug wire sort of disintegrated pulling it. Definately oil soaked and weakened. So I just cleaned everything up and wrapped some electrical tape and it runs fine now. I realize this is a temporary patch but I at least figured out what was wrong, mostly.

Now why did this area fill with oil? Everything around the cam cover gaskets seems to have a slight film and not completely clean. Of course my main oil leak is from the front coverplate and seems to get almost everywhere. My cam cover gaskets seemed soft and plump last time they were off so I didn't replace them, but am using good hex-head bolts w/ lockwashers instead of the stripped out phillipsheads. I sort of thought there was coolant mixed with this pooled oil, but was real hard to tell for sure and think I may be a little paranoid. Of course if there was coolant and oil pooling there then that would mean it's coming through a crack in the head. Likely place to crack? Doesn't seem like it but I'm no metallurgist or anything. Guess next step is to try and figure exactly why and where this oil is coming from and fix it properly.

Or just say screw it and look for a good V8 to hang a couple turbos on. Oh wait, I'm not rich!

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Only me and Cedric are allowed for the supra driving. I'd never let anyone drive it who doesn't work on their own car (makes me assume they don't know anything about engines/ engine care). Even if they did, they wouldn't be driving my car.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
my dad only drove my car once, and that was to take it to the insurance company..

I hate lending it to my brother because he's always shifting at 5k and revving the fuck out of it...

of course, for that reason, I take his car up to 120 on the freeway..:D

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I can't believe you'd do something like this (no offense).

Only the family drives my car, and I barely let them drive it. :)

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
i can honestly say that since i've owned my supra, the only time i've let someone else behind the wheel was so they could steer why i pushed :D

maybe it was all just a coincidence. when i first bought mine i thought it just needed a tune-up, and i had the same wire problems as you (oil in their, ends all mushy) and it helped, but had a bad injector haha

just give it a full tune-up and you should be fine

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
first off,

NOOOOOO

you didn't even check his milage or check your oil before you left? or told him it leaked?

i almost want to advise you not to even bother him.

if he seems like a well manord person then dont even bother with his bs and find a runnin ge and swap "when you find out for sure it's total damage of course"

i've only let my best friend of 15 years drive my car only a few times.

my gf once down the block to the store where she seemed to exceed 70mph with out a problem.. (gte BPU++ W/ auto)

i just dont let any one drive my car, with exception to my brother since i drive his mkiii more then he drive's mine, though im the mechanic, and have fixed/ will fix what i break and any problems that occure.

if you do bother him, i would ask him when , and what conditions "if" he noticed the miss, and so on,

possibly he went through a puddle or so forth and likely wasn't at fault.

i would hate to hear he was a kid, or some one under 50 that possible has never driven a supra before...

just for aspect, my friend from high school will not let me drive his 82 n/a mkii while i have 3 turbo mkiii's and a turbo mkii.

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Hey come on, in the end, it's still just a car. (who just wrote that above? one of you)

Like I said, I didn't figure he could do any worse to it than me. Not that I abuse my car, but I'm not afraid to use it. Of course that means I've also missed a third gear shift at like 6000rpm. A couple of times. I've been impressed that it didn't explode already. But yeah, I won't loan it to strangers any more. I do love my Supra.

In the past my best friend, several other friends and coworkers have driven almost all of my cars and motorcycles. Including donuts in the snow and fields. I let my cousin drive my CRX one night while we were drunk and it was starting to snow heavily. He slid it through a barbed wire fence. Not the smartest thing to do.
Later I let another white trash coworker borrow the CRX overnight. He came back the next day and it had a broken window and no stereo system (he lived in a ghetto-ass part of Oklahoma City). I was pissed that time.

But in the end it's just car. Big deal, there's more out there.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
ratpick63;891252 said:
Hey come on, in the end, it's still just a car. (who just wrote that above? one of you)

But in the end it's just car. Big deal, there's more out there.

Well seeing as you put time and money into it, you might want to care just a little, right? Why waste money? :nono:

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
I care a lot. But can't care too much.
Why waste money? I'm just into that I guess. That's why I have a Supra and always like other "old junk" as my girlfriend and others have told me. I could have a Hyundai Accent, it could still carry me to work and back and "waste" a lot less money. I've lost a lot money into other car projects, then for one reason or another, it's gone. On to the next one.
I have faith in this Japanese steel beast.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
ratpick63;890621 said:
Now why did this area fill with oil? Everything around the cam cover gaskets seems to have a slight film and not completely clean. Of course my main oil leak is from the front coverplate and seems to get almost everywhere. My cam cover gaskets seemed soft and plump last time they were off so I didn't replace them, but am using good hex-head bolts w/ lockwashers instead of the stripped out phillipsheads. I sort of thought there was coolant mixed with this pooled oil, but was real hard to tell for sure and think I may be a little paranoid. Of course if there was coolant and oil pooling there then that would mean it's coming through a crack in the head. Likely place to crack? Doesn't seem like it but I'm no metallurgist or anything. Guess next step is to try and figure exactly why and where this oil is coming from and fix it properly.

It could either be the leaking front cover plate, valve cover gaskets, or the head cover gasket.

Here's a link for checking replacing/trashing the head cover gasket.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
no one has driven my current supra.... and there are only a few that I would let.... if they wanted to and thats with me in the car......

I only let 3 close friends and my wife drive my black supra.... and one of them has two mkiii turbo supras himself...