My Supra will no longer be a rental!

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Today's Lesson Is:
Don't lend your Supra to anyone you don't know and trust.

Today this customer at work asked if we had a rental, my service manager sort of laughed and said no. (we're just a small independent speedometer shop, so no loaners!) But I slid out from under the customer's '63 Falcon and siad "my car could be for rent, how much are we talkin?"
"$50, I'll have it back before you close"
So we had a deal. I figured this nice fellow couldn't be any harder on my Supra than I am when I'm feelin the feelin. You know what I mean.
So I fix his car, a few hours go by, he shows up, picks up his keys and and gives me my key and $50. Shake hands, thanks and he's gone.
So here's the good part: I get in my car to go home, fire it up and pull out. First thing I notice- I think my oil pressure gauge is low or kinda lazy as the rpms come up. Weird I think, I just checked oil on my leaking motor a day or two ago and it was good. Just to be sure, pull again, and it's good. By now I turned off the stereo and noticed it sounds like it's missing. Little more down the road and it's definately a dead miss, down on power. "Maybe coincidence and it'll clear up on the highway." Nope. Feels bad even trying to get 60 mph. So I pull over and check out plug wires and injector plugs- maybe he pulled one just to fuck with me. All look good, so I just try to get home on surface streets. Starts to sound rattly at idle. Now I'm pissed. Coincidence? Maybe. It runs all the same all the home. I listened to it some more but was already getting dark so I decided to blow it off til morning. It's eating at me bad. If he over-revved it and burned a valve or stretched a rod or something I'll be really pissed.
Oh yeah, the work we did on his car today was "warranty" so he didn't fill out a work order or give us his number today. I don't remember his name and neither does my co-worker that dealt with him. Could find his old invoice but will be hard if we can't remember his name. Could I get money out of him? Probably not. But I'll give him a piece of my mind.
Not asking for any help or advice yet, but I'll let ya'll know what I find.

(this seems like it could go in "Off Topic", but we'll see where it goes)

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
wow i wouldnt lend my car out to anyone no matter what unless it was an emergency. and i definately wouldntve lent it out without a name, number and copy of driver license. then again if it was me at that time and place i probably wouldnt have thought about that. sorry to hear about what happened. maybe its something minor? if not it seems its time for a rebuild.. or upgrade to gte :D or a jz series motor. good luck.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I never let ANYONE drive my car, especially not a customer. I must say, though, that this sounds more like a poorly timed coincidence, and not the other guy's fault. Especially if you're already having oil problems.

Check the valve shims. I had one come out on my old car. Same symptoms.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Nobody drives my Supras except Theresa and me.

EVER.

You have to be a fool (no insult intended) to loan a car like this out.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Wow, you are way braver that me. I don't even let my wife drive my supra. Although, I'm going to let Miguel (supraholics) test drive it. With me in the car of course :D

But, hopefully that'll be the last time that you let someone "rent" your car. Hope that you get it all figured out though.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
AF1JZ;889717 said:
Wow, you are way braver that me. I don't even let my wife drive my supra. Although, I'm going to let Miguel (supraholics) test drive it. With me in the car of course :D

But, hopefully that'll be the last time that you let someone "rent" your car. Hope that you get it all figured out though.

What!? no fair i wanna drive too, hehe

yea i def. dun let anyone drive my supra, when its running lol...

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
my older brother and I are the only people who have driven my soup. He has had three supras in the past and is very familiar with turbo cars.

I wouldn't let any random person drive my car unless they give me a deposit of what i have invested in the car. that way if they fuck my car up, they will never see their money again.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I should make a list of all the people that I can think of that have driven my car.. haha I am sure the list is very long. I even thought a few people to drive stick in my car LOL

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Okay I can only think of 20 people right now.. but i am sure there are atleast 10 more people. I even let people drift my car at the track!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i let one friend drive it one time. that was so i could hear how it sounded running open divorced downpipe at WOT in 3rd gear. (damn it sounded good!)

never again.