My Supra is going in for paint tomorrow!!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Okay, so maybe this is the completely wrong place to post this, but I am super psyched, so had to share somewhere. After what felt like an entire summer of sanding and bodywork, the day has finally come: I am dropping my Supra off to get painted tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I was actually going to be able to make it happen, but at the last moment, I had a few amazing friends step in and give me a hand during the final push. As of tonight, the Supra is officially ready.

Here's a quick summary in pictures. June 20th, a brand new Ford Explorer and my Supra's rear bumper have an unfortunate encounter. Insurance company quotes over $7k in damages!! "Totals" my car, of course, since all they see is "old Toyota" with fading paint, half missing interior, and almost 200k on the clock.

IMGP0110.jpg

The sheet metal is badly crumpled, but miraculously, the frame is perfectly straight!! I decide that I can't desert my Supra (after all, it had just sacrificed itself to keep me safe from harm, so now it was up to me to save it from being junked), and so I "buy it back" less my deductible, from the insurance company. Now, I have a budget to get this car back on the road asap so that I can at least take one cruise around the Gorge with the targa off.

IMGP0124.jpg

IMGP0156.jpg

Enter Parts Supra:

IMGP0133-1.jpg

Moldy, mossy, smelly, missing diff and trans, and... not pretty, but the rear end was straight. (If my mother were to see these pictures and knew that I paid $400 for this car, I bet she would be really disappointed that none of her lessons on financial responsibility got through to me, BUT actually can assure you that was the best way that money could have been spent, that parts car was invaluable to this project!! Not only did I need many different misc. parts off of it and wiring harness segments, but I also used it for practice taking things apart so I wouldn't do any damage to my Supra. I removed the door handles, interior trim and gauge panel, window trim, side moulding, rear window trim, door cards.... you get the point ;) My Supra has no disassembly damage!)

IMGP0149.jpg

IMGP0168.jpg
(omg they are so cute)

Measure a million times and cut once, and my two Supra puzzle pieces lines up pretty good. I had it towed down to my friend's shop where I cut out the damaged section, and fit everything from parts Supra into place. Then, my friend welded it on, and I rust sealed, seam sealed, primered, [fixed its code 34 problem, thank god] and drove it back up to the mountain where parts Supra lives.
IMGP0319.jpg

IMGP0323.jpg

Then I figured, well shit, if I am getting the whole car painted (and I really don't want to do this again anytime soon, really) I may as well take the time to fix everything wrong with the body, at least, as best as I can...
IMGP0309.jpg

And a month later and here I am.

Alright, I haven't uploaded the rest of the pictures of the last 2 weeks, but thanks for letting me share a little of what I've done so far. I hope to see you all at the September 1st cruise to the Red Door meet.

:)
Faye

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I'm excited for you Faye! Once I'm done with my 2jz and it's ready to go into the car, my plan is to do this as well. Not sure what color I'll be painting it though... still on the fence.

Can't wait to see your progress!

Bogwon;1959636 said:
I'm excited for you Faye! Once I'm done with my 2jz and it's ready to go into the car, my plan is to do this as well. Not sure what color I'll be painting it though... still on the fence.

Can't wait to see your progress!

Do the paint job when your engine is out of the car so you can paint the engine bay too. If you keep it the same stock color Adam might think he has a 2jz! :p

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Villy253;1959741 said:
Do the paint job when your engine is out of the car so you can paint the engine bay too. If you keep it the same stock color Adam might think he has a 2jz! :p

That is the plan, I want to rebuild the car from the ground up once I pull the 7M... I think I'm going to have to put in an alarm system and a kill switch to keep Adam from trying to drive my car away thinking it's his...

Adam: "How come I'm the only one with the 'Toyota' badge on the front of my car?"
Me: "Uhhh Adam, that's my car... yours doesn't have the badge either..."

Bogwon;1959857 said:
That is the plan, I want to rebuild the car from the ground up once I pull the 7M... I think I'm going to have to put in an alarm system and a kill switch to keep Adam from trying to drive my car away thinking it's his...

Adam: "How come I'm the only one with the 'Toyota' badge on the front of my car?"
Me: "Uhhh Adam, that's my car... yours doesn't have the badge either..."

you forgot about the part when he tried to get into your car when we all left.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the replies you guys :)

I just got a call that Supra is DONEEEEEEE!!!! Ack, the last 2 1/2 hours of work are going to pass by soooooo slowlyyyyyyyy. Apparently my painter was shocked at how well it turned out considering that all of the prep work was done in a gravel driveway by me and some friends :) Will post pictures as soon as I take some. Sept. 1st cruise here I come!!!!!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Before:
View attachment 69667

After:
p1960156_1.jpg

Just picked up my car a few hours ago. Of course, I can't start putting everything back together because I have to wait for the paint to cure, but at least the Supra is home.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Okay you guys, to be honest, it was really cheap. I paid $1000 for the paint job, but it was neither straightforward nor easy. The paint that I chose was PPG's OMNI brand, which is not the top of the line, but a really decent paint. Finished in a high solid clear coat, which is the important part. Plus 2 months straight of me prepping and having no life, and hey the body still isn't perfect..... BUTTTTT!!!!! Man does it look amazing :)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
chris_u_diaz;1960352 said:
great work.. u better take some good photos of it when its completely assembled..

Of course I will!!!!! Still can't touch it yet - apparently it takes 3 days to cure, and what do you know I work all day Saturday and Sunday so it's going to be another long week of late nights.... :)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Villy253;1960370 said:
Looks great!! Internet pound it~! BOOM :) When you are going to be up here in Washington let me know. I'll be sure to get as many people as I can out.

Oh I absolutely will.......... I was actually up there recently, not with the Supra though. I bought it from up where you guys are all at. I am way jealous of your epic weekly Supra meets. I wish we had something like that in Portland!!!