my overheating issue

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
jgcable;1291858 said:
Mine ran great too until the gasket let go. I had the same issues as you for almost a year. Get a leak down test done.

leak down test has been done. everything came back negative for a bhg. oh yeah thanks ass, cause i know your "bhg denial" thread was somewhat directed at me. everyone else, like aj and jj, thanks for your help.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
so i found out what was wrong is that the hose from the top of the head to the heater control has a slight hole in it, so therefore it leaked on the ex manifold, causeing steam which came into my car as the heater was on, and the temp gauge is my fan clutch going bad again. i compared to to a new spare one i have and there is a definate difference. and jj, i would like to know the process on how to check the ph level with a pool one.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
supra_man87;1292053 said:
leak down test has been done. everything came back negative for a bhg. oh yeah thanks ass, cause i know your "bhg denial" thread was somewhat directed at me. everyone else, like aj and jj, thanks for your help.

My BHGD thread was directed at everybody who posts here. Not just you bro. Mine went over the summer. I asked the same questions as you.
Has your head gasket been replaced? If so... has the head been torqued correctly? Was it retorqued? Did you use new head bolts or ARP studs?
I was trying to help you out.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
and another thing. When my car had its first temp spike I went into BHGD and replaced the thermostat. The temp didn't spike for almost 3 weeks after that. Then.. my hose started leaking exactly where yours did. I tightened the hose clamp and it seemed fine. Then... a few weeks later the temp spiked a few times and I did a leak down test and it had a BHG. Let me tell you.. it had a BHG all along. I was just in denial. Its my sons car and I really could have screwed him up because of it.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Your head gasket probably looks like this. It likely has a small leak between cylinder and coolant passages. As you drive, gasses leak into the coolant passage on the affected cylinder power stroke and the coolant pressure spikes, and bubbles form that hinder coolant flow. The weakest link, like that old heater hose or the small L-shaped hoses fail under the increased pressure. The bubbles cause random temporary spikes in the temperature readings as they travel around before being dumped out the overflow. As it gets worse your overflow will spew gasses and overflow onto the pavement. Most of us have been down this path. Unlike many cars, the 7M BHG starts off almost unnoticeable, and gets worse over a long time. At the start it can be so slight that block tests are passed, and denial sets in.

bhg-wide.jpg

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
exactly. I was in BHGD for almost 9 months before it actually let go. I had to add coolant occasionaly. I had an extremely minor leak between the rear water jacket and an exhaust passage. It would leak in and burn off in the exhaust but not enough to set off a full blown BHG until.. one day.. it went. Thank God for all the great people on this site to help me do the job correct. .the first time. This place is the bomb and I was just trying to help this guy. My BHGD thread is directed to everybody.. especially myself!

BTW.. the above thread was exactly what my HG looked like but mine was the rear cylinder.

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
jgcable;1292581 said:
and another thing. When my car had its first temp spike I went into BHGD and replaced the thermostat. The temp didn't spike for almost 3 weeks after that. Then.. my hose started leaking exactly where yours did. I tightened the hose clamp and it seemed fine. Then... a few weeks later the temp spiked a few times and I did a leak down test and it had a BHG. Let me tell you.. it had a BHG all along. I was just in denial. Its my sons car and I really could have screwed him up because of it.

You only changed the thermostat? Hehe, I went through pretty much the whole cooling system. I'd still be in denial, but there's nothing left to replace and loosing half a radiator a week gets a little hard to explain.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
aus87nat;1294122 said:
You only changed the thermostat? Hehe, I went through pretty much the whole cooling system. I'd still be in denial, but there's nothing left to replace and loosing half a radiator a week gets a little hard to explain.

I know... I actually felt guilty when I put it in. I replaced the radiator cap too. I knew it was going for almost 6 months but I didn't want to admit it.