my overheating issue

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
hey all. good to be back. but i guess the reason im back is cause im having more issues. this time with cooling. i noticed when im driving my temp will begin to rise and fluctuate. im thinking this is a fan issue, but i have a new fan clutch on it. ill also list what else is new on it. new rad cap, new waterpump, new 160 failsafe (had good luck with it so far) t stat, and new radiator. also no shroud or under cover. but never made a difference before.

during the winter, i noticed i would have zero heat so i changed my t-stat to 180, and still no heat, so i zip tied the plunger on the vsv upward, little more heat but not much. so i completetly bypassed it. no difference with heat.

in all the car runs great. just this overheating is getting me mad. possibly the overheating could be linked to the bypassing of vsv????

i read shaef's post about over heating. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097

1) no smoke or residue in oil. but inconsistant temps.
2) do not see any leaks but notice have to fill coolant occasionally. and upper hose was firm when i squeezed it when engine was still hot.
3)again, new fan clutch.
4) again, t stat is new. never had a problem with a 160.

hope this helps. and hope you guys know whats wrong.
thanx for helping.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
160 is kind of low, I'd use at least the 180 or 195. The coolant has to be going somewere, if it's not leaking it is probably burning it. Notice any on the passenger side floor?

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
If you're losing coolant, then it's going SOMEWHERE, your oil level isn't rising is it? no puddles under the car? have you tried to let it sit and idle and check for leaks? Also if your car is an auto, check the level of the auto fluid, you may have a leak in the radiator causing the coolant to go via the tranny cooler. As for the no heat thing, possibly clogged or dying heater core. I have been known to stick a garden hose in one side of the heater core and let the other side pour into a 5 gallon bucket a couple times.

MadNad

Jan 25, 2008
Lafayatee, CA
I had the same symptoms, finally bought a block test which told me to replace the HG. Sounds like you might be getting exhaust in your coolant

Last edited:

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Same exact thing happened to me. It was the HG. Basically it was slightly leaking into one of the exhaust ports and burning off. I never had a leak but the temp would fluctuate and I had to add coolant once a week. Have a leak down test done. My guess is its the head gasket.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
SupaMan;1288625 said:
i beleive either IJ or jet jock have said the car is in closed loop until the ecu sees 195 from the coolant.

well first off, my car is your exact twin. 86.5 white, grey leather sport package. and second, ill try a 195 and see if that helps.

no puddles with the car sitting for a long time. if anything my oil is lower, but im thinking its cause of the oil being used isnt thick enough. and tranni fluid isnt higher. and lastly every time i change my coolant, i back flush it alot.

i would think it would be a hg, but there are no signs of it. my car doesnt smell like syrup, and my temp doesnt fluctuate all the time. i could do the same thing in two identical days, and only one day it would overheat it just doesnt make too much sense to me

SupraCobra

Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Sounds like a BHG.
Do you get better gas mileage now than you did before?
As for the heater core, does your heater work?
I'm guessing not since there is no coolant in the core.
Check the VSV and make sure it is allowing coolant to get to the heater core.
p1289055_1.jpg

A bypassed VSV. ---^
p1289055_2.jpg

VSV - Allows vacuum to open the coolant passage to the heater core.
But if the VSV is working properly then that means you are burning a ton of coolant and you do indeed have a BHG if you do, in fact, have no leaks.

MadNad

Jan 25, 2008
Lafayatee, CA
supra_man87;1288992 said:
...no puddles with the car sitting for a long time.
i would think it would be a hg, but there are no signs of it. my car doesnt smell like syrup, and my temp doesnt fluctuate all the time. i could do the ame thing in two identical days, and only one day it would overheat it just doesnt make too much sense to me

Again, I had these exact thoughts. I kept trying to solve it by checking other parts of the cooling system, until finally one day I stopped the car and had my resevoir overflow. I finally bought a block test and had to do the test multiple times as the exhaust pressure started pushing the fluid out the radiator. I never saw milk.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Ok, so I'm thinking it might be my heater core. My interrior fogged up last night. A hose blew on my way home, and fixed it, than it started smoking from under the engine bay again and the windows fogged. I'm thinking it was either the steam coming inside my car (windows were down) or my heater core blew and stem came through the heater (heater was on). So I think I'm pretty prepared to take out the dash once I get this confirmed. So I was thinking, other than cleaning my dash, what other things should I check, do, once all this is out. I'm talking like maintainance, mods (like to maybe rig the heater blower to blow harder???), or other stuff. Let me know. Thanks.

supisarethebest

bhg all day!!!!
Feb 19, 2009
rhode island
hey guys i have dirty antifreeze,any one knows what might be causing that.I also my temp gauge goes up indicating that there is overheating going on but then it goes back to normal after a minute or so

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
supra_man87;1290588 said:
Ok, so I'm thinking it might be my heater core. My interrior fogged up last night. A hose blew on my way home, and fixed it, than it started smoking from under the engine bay again and the windows fogged. I'm thinking it was either the steam coming inside my car (windows were down) or my heater core blew and stem came through the heater (heater was on). So I think I'm pretty prepared to take out the dash once I get this confirmed. So I was thinking, other than cleaning my dash, what other things should I check, do, once all this is out. I'm talking like maintainance, mods (like to maybe rig the heater blower to blow harder???), or other stuff. Let me know. Thanks.

Before you go through all the hassle of ripping out your dashboard, what hose blew?? Also... did you ever get a leak down test done? My guess is you have a BHG. The steam is coming from your engine bay. When you put the heat on it draws air from it and the steam came in. If you heater core is blown you will have a puddle in your passenger side floor.
Get a leak down test done bro to rule out a BHG. The symtoms you are experiencing are all common to a BHG.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Have to agree, get a block test, JJ I believe said that there is a way to use a pool water test kit. Maybe He'll chime in and explain what chemicals you use out of the test kit. :)

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
ok so for sure its not the heater core. and its been running great lately. still dunno whats up. thinking pin hole leak in a hose.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
supra_man87;1291705 said:
ok so for sure its not the heater core. and its been running great lately. still dunno whats up. thinking pin hole leak in a hose.

Mine ran great too until the gasket let go. I had the same issues as you for almost a year. Get a leak down test done.