My new build and Overhaul on the supra!!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I bought the FFIM off a member on this site. I think i paid close to $400 with shipping for it. Im going to be running a Maft setup, with the stock ecu still. The intercooler is like 31" x 15 x 3 i think. It has a 3" inlet and outlet. and im running all 3in piping

87turbosupra

"The 87' Burgundy"
Apr 11, 2005
Colo Spgs, CO
Man that's an awesome deal. I ordered all my engine internals, clutch, flywheel from suprarich. Playing the waiting
game right now. Which MAF system are you using, MAF PRO, GEN II. What exh. manifold are you running.
sorry for all the questions, I've become addicted to this site, lol.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
IJ.;1620416 said:
Don't get discouraged, my builds have 1000's of posts and 10 of 1000's of views but not many actual posters (usually around 10 people at most)

Yeah. Mine is almost 8 pages long, but mostly because of my own posts lol

Builds are more of a way for you to document your progress on your car for yourself, while others get to enjoy the read (and pictures) lol

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
im definetly subscribed the cars going to be sick dude gl with it ill be watching this thread pretty similar to what im working with :evil2:

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
well after several more days of getting everything to fit and work properly, I finally got the car running.... Boy was I happy to hear it fire up after sitting for nearly 6 months. all the hard work paid off. I was worried after doing all this work that maybe I wouldn't be able to get it to start, or that maybe the machine shop messed up and the motor would be bad. But to my luck, so far its all gone well. At first it didn't start up because fuel injector #1 and #2 were switched. and the timing was way off with the CPS. so after fixing those two issues the car fired right up.

I Drove the supra back home, which is a 3 hour drive from where I was working on it. It made it all the way back with absolutely no issues. Never over heated, and didn't leak anything. I stopped a few times on the way back to check for leaks and such. But every time, to my surprise there was nothing dripping under the car. The motor does seem to have alot of valve chatter though, at idle. When driving the noise is gone, but at idle the valves seem kinda loud to me.. not sure if thats ok or not??

It also seems like the TPS or something needs adjusted. The throttle is very very jumpy. especialy during in town, slow driving. The throttle feels like an ON/OFF switch. I cant hold it at a constant speed, its either no gas (even with the pedal down some), or accelerate. and its very jumpy and feels like it has no inbetween. Anyone know what would cause this issue?

Here is a picture of the motor as we were putting together the last few things. I will take a final picture of what it looks like tomorrow in the day light.
p1623130_1.jpg

Boostlee got a few videos of the first start up and test drive. I'll have to see if i can get him to post those :D Now its time to tune it and make some power.. it deff. needs a tune bad, it was running very rich all the way home.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Well i went to college in anderson for a few years. Not around that area anymore. moved back to IL. And no I never got around to getting on madcou.com, people told me to but i never did. I come around Indy/Greenwood quite a bit though. usually on weekends.

And a new issue just came up with the supra,, Just got done driving it tonight and I parked it and popped the hood just to make sure everything was still fine. Well I heard a hissing noise, and coolant was under the car. Found that the coolant line that goes to the back of the head was leaking out coolant, and I saw steam coming up from it. I have been driving the car for about three days now and This is just now happening?? wouldn't it have leaked out from the first time the motor heated up? Maybe there are still air bubbles trapped in that upper coolant hose that needs to come out.. I dont know. Not sure if I cant get anything back there to even tighten the clamp on the hose.... any suggestions?

Other than that the car has been driving amazingly well.. Got the throttle issue figured out. The TPS needed adjusted. Got alittle tuning done on the maft setup... Ready for when i can finally hit some boost and have fun again.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I went that route, and personally I wouldn't waste the money on a an upgraded ct. Its not much more to go T4, you'll make a lot more power, and you know in the end that's where you want to be anyway. Dont waste the time and money. Just my .02

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
shipkiller;1623298 said:
no idea about your throttle issue, but your build is sick!

wish my 7m was that nice

I was once saying the same thing about other supra's... but I have finally reached that point that I'v wanted to be at for so long. . . its a good feeling. :) Build your car exactly like you want it. you'll be there one day. And it will be all worth while.

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
Nice build man, our setups are relatively similar..I'm actually having the same throttle response issues, can't hold a steady speed at all..How did you smooth out your throttle response?

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
suprafanatic;1623130 said:
well after several more days of getting everything to fit and work properly, I finally got the car running.... Boy was I happy to hear it fire up after sitting for nearly 6 months. all the hard work paid off. I was worried after doing all this work that maybe I wouldn't be able to get it to start, or that maybe the machine shop messed up and the motor would be bad. But to my luck, so far its all gone well. At first it didn't start up because fuel injector #1 and #2 were switched. and the timing was way off with the CPS. so after fixing those two issues the car fired right up.

I Drove the supra back home, which is a 3 hour drive from where I was working on it. It made it all the way back with absolutely no issues. Never over heated, and didn't leak anything. I stopped a few times on the way back to check for leaks and such. But every time, to my surprise there was nothing dripping under the car. The motor does seem to have alot of valve chatter though, at idle. When driving the noise is gone, but at idle the valves seem kinda loud to me.. not sure if thats ok or not??

It also seems like the TPS or something needs adjusted. The throttle is very very jumpy. especialy during in town, slow driving. The throttle feels like an ON/OFF switch. I cant hold it at a constant speed, its either no gas (even with the pedal down some), or accelerate. and its very jumpy and feels like it has no inbetween. Anyone know what would cause this issue?

Here is a picture of the motor as we were putting together the last few things. I will take a final picture of what it looks like tomorrow in the day light.
p1625027_1.jpg

Boostlee got a few videos of the first start up and test drive. I'll have to see if i can get him to post those :D Now its time to tune it and make some power.. it deff. needs a tune bad, it was running very rich all the way home.

Daylight pic please!